Author Topic: Tutorial - Installing PeppermintOS Three on an Acer Aspire One AOA110L ZG5  (Read 31471 times)

Offline Woodie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tutorial - Installing PeppermintOS Three on an Acer Aspire One AOA110L ZG5
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »
Appreciate the warning about the command line.
I am comfortable with the command line, but very rusty with Linux.
Using the server version would be a good learning exercise and force me to get more familiar with the commands.
I was going to go with SeZo's suggestion and use another machine for the management via SSH.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »
OK then, nothing like jumping in the deep end .. so if you're planning on re-learning the Linux CLI, sounds like a good plan to me :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2013, 01:07:58 am »
Anyway, finally playing with virtual PEP3, and it is very impressive, even as a virtual OS - faster, lighter, only 30% of CPU and 30% of RAM (1.5M), over 4 hours battery (6 cell but was down to 3 hours) on a AAO 110 ZG5. Even suspends + revives and does Internet painlessly. Can I do any of the 92megs updates of programs (FF!) onto the bootable USB- am afraid to mess up LINPUS disc?? Since there is no password, is this virtual installation insecure? I'd like to juice it + tune it up (USB stick)  to be all purpose- essentially my computer on a flash that I can use from anyones machine. That is so cool- when I was a kid, I thought there would be a point when they could store thousands of books on a sugar cube- ha ha, now you do that and almost include the computer!! I made the July version, is there any big difference with the Nov 2012 version (presumably on an installation they would  be fixed by doing the updates).

One thing I worry- it seems they have gone whole-hog with Google: online Goog Office, Chrome, Dropbox (Google buy this?) etc. Is this integral to the OS and is there any permanent spyware or can it all be shut-off?? While I use Gmail, I don't want those aggregators to steal my whole life. One can set it to not boot-up wigh Internet on?

When installing Peppermint3 on a system with XP and Ubuntu 10.4.1, can you make it use + edit the current Ubuntu bootloader, rather installing a 2nd or 3rd one, or should I just try to do that from inside Ubuntu? It does give an option to not install the bootloader when you pick "Install Alongside". Can you install it OVER Ubuntu 10.4.1 so it incorporates the data and settings, or is that asking too much. I'm tired of the defective mail, power sucking, and a few other problems on my installation.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:09 pm »
First, it not a "virtual" install .. it's a "Live" install with persistence. ;)

Can I do any of the 92megs updates of programs (FF!)

YES, you can do the updates (as long as you created the LiveUSB with persistence) .. but considering it's a "Live" USB, expect the updates to slow your PC somewhat.

Reason - A "Live" installation (with a persistence file) layers the new flles on top of the older ones .. it doesn't REPLACE the old ones like it would on a "proper" installation (non-Live).

Live installations also use more RAM .. they are also nearly impossible to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong.

Live installs are great for testing something out, but I'd do a "proper" install if you plan on using it for extended periods.
(Yes you can do a "proper install to a USB stick .. but read below first)

Something else you need to consider - USB sticks have a limited write life .. so every time you change anything on your Live install, you are cutting down the life of the USB stick.
(a "proper" install would probably wear out the USB stick even quicker, as it would have a swap partition that *may* be written to a lot)

If you need to keep Linpus Lite, you'd be MUCH better off doing a "proper" install to an external hard drive.

Since there is no password, is this virtual installation insecure?

If you have a persistence file .. then it's possibly less secure from hacking, and certainly less secure from local logins by someone else.

One thing I worry- it seems they have gone whole-hog with Google: online Goog Office, Chrome, Dropbox (Google buy this?) etc. Is this integral to the OS and is there any permanent spyware or can it all be shut-off??

There is nothing stopping you replacing the Google stuff with something else (like Firefox) .. be aware that uninstalling Chromium will also uninstall the ICE appplication, but f you don't use that it's no biggy :)

One can set it to not boot-up wigh Internet on?

The only easy way I can think of would be to  take the tick out of the "Connect Automatically" for ALL your network connections (in network manager).

When installing Peppermint3 on a system with XP and Ubuntu 10.4.1, can you make it use + edit the current Ubuntu bootloader, rather installing a 2nd or 3rd one, or should I just try to do that from inside Ubuntu? It does give an option to not install the bootloader when you pick "Install Alongside".

Yup, that's exactly what you'd do .. install Peppermint alongside but WITHOUT installing the bootloader .. then when finished installing, boot Ubuntu and run:
Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
Which should find the Peppermint installation and add it to the (current) Ubuntu boot menu.

Can you install it OVER Ubuntu 10.4.1 so it incorporates the data and settings, or is that asking too much.

If you don't have a separate /home partition .. YES it's asking too much .. I probably wouldn't advise it anyway as there are a lot of configs in your home folder which could cause problems.

Best to remove Ubuntu completely first .. obviously after backing up what you cannot afford to loose.
(obviously if you remove Ubuntu, then install Peppermint you WILL need Peppermint to install its bootloader)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:44:42 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline jsking876

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »
Hello i was attempting to correct my CPU Fan and did the 1st code as stated and got this: jake-AOA150 jake #

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:23 am »
Hi jsking876, and welcome to the forum :)

Yup, that's what the "sudo su" command is supposed to do ;)

Just carry on.

FYI .. "sudo su" changes you to a root prompt (denoted by a # prompt instead of a $ prompt) .. the second command NEEDS to be run from a root prompt .. the third command "exit" will return you to a regular user prompt ($) :)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:13:42 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
So if you just do the updates on a Live Distro it will  install them on the stick. Damn AAO though, maybe I lost chance. After using the live version for 3-4 days perfectly- it doesn;t boot up again: get:
SYSLINUX 4.06, then
Starting NTP server ntpd
Stopping save kernal messages
Stopping System V runlevel compatibility
then some login shell command line:
  peppermint@peppermint
all only text, nographics

On another 2gig stick, I put the most recent issue Nov5-2012-32bit (other was July)- that is freezing on the  SYSLINUX screen though it also shows as HDD

I'm making a 1gig persistance file- is that too big?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:52 pm »
Nope .. the bigger the persistence file better .. if you plan on making lots of changes.

The AA1 can be finicky about which USB sticks it likes .. the recent Peppermint respin should work if the original did .. they only changed a few packages, so t shouldn't affect the booting.

A *quick* google suggests the "Stopping System V runlevel compatibility" error might be being caused by a graphics driver issue .. did you do the updates ? .. as I said a LiveUSB with persistence LAYERS the new stuff, so there *may* be a chance that updating the graphics drivers caused the problem.

Offline coldfire

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »
I just wanted to thank you for the tutorial.  I really appreciate your taking the time to write something so clear and detailed.  I've got my ZG5 roaring along again and it seems faster than Peppermint 2.  If this distro had been the one that the ZG5 sold with they'd have really been more popular.  I love the form factor of the computer.  I wish they made a new one just like it but with a dual core atom and hd graphics.  I'd buy one in a minute.  Ah well with this kind of software it's good for another couple of years anyway.  Thanks again!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32:34 am »
You're more than welcome .. and thanks for letting me know the tutorial was of some use :)

I couldn't agree more, I think the AA1 would have done better with something like Peppermint rather than the crippled distro Acer went with (then didn't support) .. ditto the EeePC.

Oh nearly forgot .. Welcome to the forum :)

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
I am finally ready to install Pep3.
A few questions:  I had big problems with my Windows- for weeks HD was just buzzing and the CPU was bouncing from 10 to 100% in a regular rythm, so I don't trust the stick I burned. Then I did last single Windows Update today and problem was solved. Can I check the stick with the MD5 somehow, or should I do it again. It does seem to work OK

2. I presume it's better practice to remove the left SD card (16gb w me so can't confuse it) before PEP installation. I there any advantage or disadvantage to leacing it in on installation?

3. On Step 8 you have: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pciehp.pciehp_ force=1"
I presume "l" is L or is it 1

5. It was so much faster (no write delays at all!), and better on battery (4.8 hours) that I am eager to finally install it. It is more flexible to say "TRY PEP" and install from LIVE version, right- the simple initial INSTALL PEPPERMINT choice 2 gives you no real options or info as it does it?

6. Is there any difference in doing all the standard updates with the terminal, or with their updater?
6. What was good audio recording program. Audiocity? And video that finds the built in camera.

7b
4. You said updates or changes to the LIVE stick are done OVER the old files. Does that mean the old files are left, cause it can't change the original installation (why), and anything new or changed is written to the persistent file (which I can't move anything into on file manager), and somehow it reads that after bootup and uses changed system + program files from there??? Every time it does an operation? Without MP3 support, Live stick is pretty limited, and I'd like latest fixes, but not if that makes it run 3x slower.

Offline smogreg

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2013, 02:49:35 am »
Mark, your instructions are clear as crystal ! Thank you ! I now have Peppermint Three running beautifully on my Acer Aspire One. And I have loaded Libre Office Base which I have longed for an eternity ! This Aussie says : "Well played, you Pommie good guy!"

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38:55 pm »
@ smogreg

Thanks for the kind words (I think) .. happy to hear it was a help :)

@ mako6

1) It won't hurt to recreate the LiveUSB .. just in case.

2) YES .. remove the SD card or it will interfere with the installation.

3) depends which you mean .. there's an L is "splash" but if you mean at the end, it's a 1 (one)

5) doesn't really matter, the desktop "Install Peppermint" icon, and the Install Peppermint menu item both start the same Ubiquity installer .. the reason I suggest the desktop icon is because it's easier to boot to the Live environment, SET UP WIRELESS, then install .. that way you can get the udates etc. during the install.

6) yes (I think) .. the terminal will also update the kernel and other things mintupdate doesn't.

6 again) Yes, for audio recording Audacity .. for webcam recording (with audo) Cheese

7b) ???

4) OK, because a "Live" iso image is primarily designed for a CDROM, the file system is compressed (squashfs) and is therefore read-only, so any changes have to  be written to a "persistence file" .. so let's say you update something, the original version is still there in the squashfs file system, but it loads the version from the persistence file in precedence.

It's my guess that it would either:-
a) load the original to RAM first, then overwrite it (in RAM) with the version from the persistence file.
or
b) for every file it loads to RAM, check to see if there's a newer version in the persistence file first .. which would be terribly inefficient.

Either way, there's an overhead.

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2013, 03:52:48 am »
Mysteries of the universe revealed. It was always L before, not 1, ha ha. Thanks. I would say removing the SD card is an important step. Is there any chance saving anything on the stick damages it? Very strange how first stick stopped loading after running perfectly for 4 days. Can one save regular files on that persistent (casper?) folder- it doesn't let me write anything into it (or is it done another way)?
So squash means "compressed"- I thought it was the veggy- that explains alot about LIVE images- seems dumb to compress them when they go on a USB stick, or at 539mb,
might fit on CD without it. But I guess its all loaded onto RAM, so holdup would just be on initial boot? Any brilliant way to do that uncompressed and update the installation files directly?

So 100 odd updates would probably slow a LIve stick up alot. I could be an evangelist for P3 (wasn't that a Terminator?), and use it when people have a junked OS, or just to demonstrate the
incredible speed and safety of Linux. Everyone here has pirate Windows ($6 for anything, like Win7 dual discs, with latest updates, and 100 cracked programs; or $2000 CAD programs), so
they can't do the updates and are soon infected with  dozen viruses. They usually put OS on small partition, data on another, and at the first signs of serious trouble wipe and reload the OS
and programs- if they're smart, they buy a new disc with the latest updates cracked in. Insanely, most people here don't run any AV! MS has office here, but they've given up fighting piracy, since it's 98% of people. In civilized England do ISP's block most movie downloads? 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:02 am »
@ mako6

I've removed your posting about the Brazillian fire .. Links to your website are not allowed unless it's Linux related, not to mention that had no place in the Peppermint tutorial.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal