Author Topic: Which Wireless Access Point would You recommend?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Sim

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Which Wireless Access Point would You recommend?
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:19:04 pm »
Hi Folks, I'm after a bit of advice on which Wireless Access point anyone might recommend for (hard) connection to a BT HH3, 30M away? A quick google about shows up all sorts of prices, anything from 20 to several hundred quid!! On the basis that you usually only get what you pay for, how much do I need to spend to get something sensible? Its really only for a home network, but I might as well stick with decent kit, as the rest of the IT here is, er, "decent" (!!).

For example, I have seen the Tenda W308R 300Mbps Wireless N Router 4 Port Access Point for around the 20 mark, and the likes of the Cisco Linksys WAP4410N 802.11n Wireless-N Access Point for around 110.......

Any specific recommendations from personal experience would be great!

TIA

Sim

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Which Wireless Access Point would You recommend?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:03:49 pm »
OK, I bought one of these to work as a "wireless repeater" .. turns out it won't "repeat" most other wireless routers, but it will to another one of these (I should have read the description more closely) .. but it works perfectly as a wireless access point to a wired router.

http://www.ebuyer.com/169923-tenda-wireless-n150-access-point-router-extender-w311r-
(actual model is Tenda W311R+)

So if you're thinking of:-

[Internet]<----->[BT homehub]<----cable---->[Tenda W311R+]<----->WIRELESS NETWORK

It should do the job perfectly well .. and (with super saver shipping) you've only lost 13.57 if it doesn't .. though it works with my Sky router, so I can see no reason it wouldn't with a BT homehub.

i've kept hold of it for just such a setup if ever required ;) .. or I might get another, and use them as repeaters (they also have a 4 port hub built in).

The Linksys would probably out feature it, and probably be better built.

So the choice is yours .. do you want cheap and cheerful but does the job .. or do you want to go for better quality that may last longer and probably be prettier ;)

Or you might want to consider a pair of 500Mbps homeplugs/powerline adapters .. such as:
http://www.ebuyer.com/367949-zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-3-year-pla4201-gb0201f
and possibly a cheap 10/100 ethernet switch (which would be faster, more secure, and do away with the 30metre ethernet cable) .. then not bother with Wireless at all  ;)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:19:57 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Sim

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:29:07 pm »
Thanks Mark. The Tenda, apparently has a 3 year warranty, so it can't be all bad ! Plus, as you say its as cheap as chips, so we'll go this route, I think. The four port hub bit is great too, as without it, we'd be needing another blinking box, and associated wall wart ::)

Can't use the powerline adaptor doodahs I'm afraid, as power at/in the "destination" is on another phase, so they don't work - I already had some gathering dust.... and tried them first!!

thanks again

Sim

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »
Let me know how you get on .. but if you intend to use it as I laid out, it should be straight forward to setup :)

The handy thing is, I still have mine .. so any problems, we can go through it together :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal