Author Topic: Win XP...RIP  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Win XP...RIP
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:13:34 am »
In less than a year from now Microsoft will cease support for Windows XP, even now XP users (myself included) are hanging on to a burning rope, so my question is what will that actually mean for XP users when support finally ends next year, will it make XP completely un-usable forcing users to upgrade to a more up to date OS ? and if so what do you think that will mean for Linux adoption ? Can Linux fill the gap ?

Windows 8 isn't exactly setting the PC world on fire which doesn't surprise me (have you ever seen such an ugly desktop), so what will XP users do if and when they're forced to move to another OS, many will likely upgrade to either Windows 7 or 8, some may shift over to Mac, some may scrap their PC's altogether and go tablet, but what will it mean for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions, is this an opportunity for Canonical to increase it's market share to a point where third party hardware and software vendors will have to sit up and take notice and start seriously supporting Linux

Personally I think most people won't install a new operating system on their existing PC's or laptops, they'll simply buy a new one and if Linux/Ubuntu is to cash in it's got to get itself pre-installed on these machines and into the retail market

Graeme

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:51:26 am by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline goldtopia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Motley Minstrels
    • Awards
Re: Win XP...RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:38:38 am »
I am one of those with Windows XP but I wont change to mac because of the programmes that only run on windows. On eBay there are upgrade discs from XP to windows eight. I am considering getting another hard disc caddy for this purpose and keep XP for as long as I can.  Oh yes, thanks for trying to get my scanner working on linux.
Bill.O

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:57 am »
so my question is what will that actually mean for XP users when support finally ends next year, will it make XP completely un-usable forcing users to upgrade to a more up to date OS ?

It will still work but will become even less secure than it is now, as exploits are found and not patched .. and newer hardware probably won't have drivers for XP.

what will it mean for Ubuntu and other Linux distributions, is this an opportunity for Canonical to increase it's market share to a point where third party hardware and software vendors will have to sit up and take notice and start seriously supporting Linux

I don't see the demise of XP as a Linux opportunity (most of those people will move to Win7/Win8), I DO see the *current* failure of Win8 as an opportunity .. probably more for Android/ChromeOS, but hey they're Linux too.

I'm convinced (traditional) Linux will eventually win the desktop, but slowly as support and user awareness comes through the (Android/ChromeOS) back door, and Windows continues its slide into oblivion.

As for Mac .. nah, there's a limited number of people willing to be ripped off for perceived (but sadly wrong) elitism .. so either Mac goes mainstream which is unlikely as elitism works for them, or the masses go to whatever fills the gap vacated by Windows (which realistically can only be one thing .. Linux).

--
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:33:00 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline goldtopia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Motley Minstrels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:40:00 pm »
I was browsing around PC World this morning and discovered you can run windows on mac, I don't know if you can run linux on it. The computer engineer that looks after my computer for repairs, etc. Does not recommend windows 8 at all. He knows all the systems windows, macs and linux. He favours linux above all of them which was how I got into linux. I have heard people say that macs are superior to windows but I don't know why this so.
Bill.O

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »
I have heard people say that macs are superior to windows but I don't know why this so.

If by "macs" you mean the operating system .. OS X

Because it's a *nix OS like Linux so much more secure that Windows .. albeit crafted with the same vendor "tie in" in mind, as Microsoft products are (more so, as they're tying you to their specific hardware too).

And because the people that are saying it are probably Mac users with a weird elitist attitude that *sometimes* borders on stupidity .. like the OS X fans who attempted to defend the lack of a "cut" function here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-183472.html
which still cracks me up every time I read it  ;D

In most ways OS X *is* technically superior to Windows .. but then it's pretty closely related to Linux, so it would be ;)

Offline goldtopia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Motley Minstrels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »
So, as OS X and linux are closely related, does that mean they can share the same printer drivers ?
Bill.O

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »
NO .. whilst OS X and Linux are "UNIX like" OS's, and share some some components (including CUPS), there are also a lot of differences.

So if the printer driver was a simple PPD then it could be loaded through CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System) in both OS X and Linux .. if it's a binary (or package) they are not compatible.

I'm afraid "Closely related" doesn't necessarily mean "Binary compatible", and definitely not "Package compatible"  .. and that's the way Apple like it :o

===============

When I say "closely related" think more along the lines of "third cousins twice removed" rather than "siblings", they may have a common heritage but genetically they've diverged quite a bit.

--
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:13:39 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 05:49:32 pm »
I've never used a Mac come to think of I don't think I've ever seen one unless you count my daughters Ipad which to be honest did not impress me at all, I remember thinking as it was being proudly demonstrated to me "All that glitters isn't gold" although I never said it out loud,

Apparently the missus is to be offered an Ipad from her employers soon, I asked her to refuse it on point of principle and tell them she has no wish to incarcerated in a walled garden but she would accept the money instead, but unfortunately she doesn't share the same principles as me so there could be one in house soon but you'll not find my fingerprints on it.

Getting back to the original post It's an unfortunate fact that as Linux users we need more mainstream adoption for Linux to progress and realise it's full potential, because we need more third party support, I can't personally dispense of Windows completely as much as I would like to because applications I need for my buisness just isn't available in Linux and there is no viable alternative for me at present so it looks like it's gonna be Windows 7 for me untill the software vendors I use see linux as relevant enough to port their applications to, but I can't see that happening untill we see Linux PC's and laptops pre-installed on retail shelves
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:58:59 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline goldtopia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Motley Minstrels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:05:59 pm »
Then I should upgrade to get windows 7 instead of 8. I bow to your superior judgment and knowledge.  Why is there no spell checker for this forum ?.
Bill.O

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:15 pm »
I bow to your superior judgment and knowledge.

I don't have superior knowledge or judgement to anyone on this forum

Why is there no spell checker for this forum ?.

Because we are all so smart and intelligent we have no need for one :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 06:35:20 pm »
Does your browser not have a spell checker ?

Offline goldtopia

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Motley Minstrels
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
I'm on a different computer at the moment running zorin. Mozilla firefox  shows no spell checker in the browser but it should be the same as ubuntu's fire fox with no spell checker, unless there is a special toolbar for it.
Bill.O

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 06:54:59 pm »
So when you mistype a word in firefox, there no red zigzag line underneath it ?

[EDIT]

Quote from: Emegra
I can't see that happening untill we see Linux PC's and laptops pre-installed on retail shelves

Oh, you mean like Chromebooks.

Interesting pages from Amazon:
Amazon.co.uk - Most wished for (laptops)
and
Amazon.com - Best sellers (laptops)
;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:15:25 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »
Oh, you mean like Chromebooks.

No thats not what I mean but maybe I just don't understand what a Chromebook is :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »
It's a laptop/netbook that comes preinstalled with Google ChromeOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal