Author Topic: Win XP...RIP  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Win XP...RIP
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36:16 pm »
Google Chrome OS is a Linux-based operating system designed by Google to work exclusively with web applications.

Sounds more like a glorified web browser to me but it's probably the future of computing  :)

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »
Sounds more like a glorified web browser to me but it's probably the future of computing

I was going to totally dismiss it but a brief encounter with them in PC World when they first started to sell them convinced me otherwise.

It seems that the ability to work off line is being brought in bit by bit with the updates as described here.

Also at work I hear people mentioning the Chromebook as an alternative to tablets (with a permanent keyboard).
So the word is spreading.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
From what I understand, without an interner connection GooglechromeOS is as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike or a chocolate teapot, call that an operating system if you like.

it seems to me Google want us all to do our computing on their servers, now I don't know what the full implications of that are (if any) but there's something i don't like about it.

Google is a multi million dollar company and I trust them no more than I trust Microsoft or Apple

Money is power and power corrupts

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:20 pm »
My point isn't that ChromeOS is any good as is (Peppermint is better ;) ), but that it's a "proper" Linux distro, albeit cut back at the moment.

But as I (and SeZo) pointed out, the internal storage is growing on Chromebooks and I have a feeling that it will (legitimately) gain the ability to run local apps.

They are already on shelves, and apparently desired .. people are finding ways to install local apps (which can only be "proper" linux apps).

So consider this .. chromebooks become desired and sell .. either third parties or Google give them the ability to run local apps .. do you then think the software houses will find them an interesting proposition as Win8 is a flop ?

And remember (unlike Android) if software runs on ChromeOS it should run on any other Linux distro :)

--
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:33:52 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:44 pm »
@Emegra
From what I understand, without an interner connection GooglechromeOS is as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike or a chocolate teapot, call that an operating system if you like.

Not as useless as it presumed to be. To start with the hardware is quite nice for the money.
Just go to PC World and test run any them (ask them to disconnect from the interweb).

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 09:11:05 pm »
I'm prepared to accept that I'm completely wrong, because I only have my gut instincts to go on, but the one thing that attracted me to Linux and away from Microsoft was the philosophy of freedom and openness that Linux and open source stands for and for me Google and their shiny Chromebooks don't meet that criteria, they are trying to guide us towards their vision of computing which will  (if we're not careful) allow them to control how we use our computers just like Microsoft have done since the 1980s

They may allow us to run some local applications on their shiny Chromebooks but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out the master plan
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:13:20 pm by Emegra »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:19:12 pm »
You're missing my point .. I'm not trying to sell ChromeOS/Chromebooks.

I'm pointing out that their take off will interest the software houses to port their software to them .. and if it'll run on ChromeOS, it will run on ANY Linux distro.

It was YOU that said, Linux will only take off when there are machines on shelves .. then the software will be ported.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
I know it looks like I'm. missing your point but. I do understand what you're saying but when I was talking about linux on retail shelves I was talking about what I consider. Traditional linux ie ubuntu/mint etc and I don't feel chromeos falls into that category, but that's just my opinion

Slightly off subject I'm typing this on an android tablet I bought today at a bootsale and I'm dying to pu ubuntu touch on it do you think that would be a good idea or should I wait untill ubuntu touch is stable.?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 11:26:46 pm »
Dunno .. your call :)

Personally I wouldn't have bought one in the first place, but if I did I'd PROBABLY take the first opportunity to get a "proper" Linux on it .. or would I ? .. kinda hard to say without having attempted to use one in anger ;)

when I was talking about linux on retail shelves I was talking about what I consider. Traditional linux ie ubuntu/mint etc and I don't feel chromeos falls into that category, but that's just my opinion

You suggested developers won't be interested till Linux is preinstalled on PC's on shelves ..

I'm not (on the whole) impressed by ChromeOS, but it IS on shelves, and recently (after a poor start) is doing VERY well .. do you think developers will be blind to that fact, or watching carefully ?

I couldn't care less WHICH Linux distro attracts the developers .. once they're here it's just a matter packaging for other distros.
(Officially Steam is Ubuntu only .. but it took 5 minutes to appear on other distros ;) )

--
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:41:15 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline BkS

• BkS Media Founder
  • sudo service reality-check start
    • View Profile
    • BkS Media
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 06:08:55 am »
Well it's a bloody good thing then that ASUS, Lenovo & Dell are all kicking Windows up the arse with their new notebook lines which come with Ubuntu 12.04.

There was one guy in this thread who mentioned upgrade discs from XP > Win8, but I'm afraid those a fake. You need to completely wipe XP to install Win8. You can however upgrade from Win7 to Win8.

Anyway back on topic, if mister Shuttlescock keeps hammering the OEM's the way he is just now, it shouldn't be long before the world knows about Ubuntu & it's Linux derivatives.

On a side note, anyone tested 13.04?
If you try to look through Windows, you can see what the person is doing.
If you try to look through a Penguin, it WILL bite you.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal