Author Topic: Build for Scratch  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Colin Newman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Build for Scratch
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:03:44 pm »
Hi,
I'am looking to build a PC for Photo editing and video editing, but am getting confused with whats out there. Any suggestions of motherboard/cpu
bundle. Price range 400 to 500 for the bundle. Which linux operating system would been best suited? This will be solely for photo/video editing.
I lost faith with Windows and my Mac Mini cannot cope with the 20,000+ photos.

Colin Newman

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Build for Scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:31:26 pm »
I'am looking to build a PC for Photo editing and video editing, but am getting confused with whats out there. Any suggestions of motherboard/cpu
bundle. Price range 400 to 500 for the bundle.

Is the budget to include a monitor ? .. if so what size ?

Code: [Select]
Which linux operating system would been best suited?

This is likely to start a "my distro is better than yours "discussion" .. so let the fun begin :)

My vote goes for PeppermintOS 3 (or PeppermintOS 4 soon to be released) .. it's based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) so will be well supported for quite some time yet, has access to he Ubuntu software repositories, yet (unlike Ubuntu 12.04) it has GIMP 2.8 in the repositories.

PeppermintOS is also VERY light on system resources, uses the LXDE desktop environment which is similar in layout to Windows, and doesn't come with a ton of cruft pre-installed .. so you install just what you want/need.

As it's based on Ubuntu, you'll also find help/tutorials/etc. easier to come by.

--
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:33:44 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Colin Newman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:19 pm »
The budget is for motherboard/pcu only.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:24:17 pm »
OK, usage patterns and applications ..

Are you likely to be running multiple apps at once, and do you have any particular software in mind.

Reason I ask .. AMD's 8 core FX-8350 will be better at multi threading (multiple apps, or apps that support multi threading), yet an Intel i5/i7 may be faster for single threaded apps.

Personally I'd be likely to go for something like -
http://www.ebuyer.com/409184-amd-fx-8350-4ghz-socket-am3-16mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-fd8350frhkbox
and
http://www.ebuyer.com/393530-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2-0-socket-am3-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-sabertooth-990fx-r2-0

From what I gather, that motherboard is fine as long as you disable "iommu" in the BIOS

Then get as much RAM as you can, and a cheapish GFX card which can be upgraded later if you wish.

http://www.ebuyer.com/413968-corsair-16gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-lp-memory-cml16gx3m2a1600c9
and
http://www.ebuyer.com/396968-gigabyte-gtx-650-2gb-gddr5-vga-dual-dvi-hdmi-pci-e-graphics-card-gv-n650oc-2gi

Same thing, pre-built, but without the graphics card:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-8350-Vishera-Core-4-0GHz-PRE-ASSEMBLED/dp/B00A39FLMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_computers_5

I know and trust Ebuyer, I've never had any dealings with ADMI, but if this can be believed:
http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.awd-it.co.uk
then I guess they're OK

ADW-IT is a trading name of ADMI Limited.
http://www.awd-it.co.uk/
and they're a UK company too

if I were you, I'd phone them first to check that's the same company as on Amazon.

--
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:52:34 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:13:11 pm »
You can throw silly money at this, but  unless you know what software, peripherals you are intending to use, you could be wasting your cash.
I would build, or reuse an existing lower spec machine and put on all the software, connect all the equipment (capture card etc) and use it for a while.
Note all the points which are critical (slowing you down) then improve on them in the final build.

As for the OS you could try AV Linux which has IRQ threading and rtirq-init functions of the Kernel activated by default. Custom PAE post-install Kernel is also available. It is also using the LXDE desktop enviroment, to allow all the resources to be available for what you intend to be using in the first place.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 08:16:14 pm »
I'd agree with SeZo .. It really depends on your viewpoint .. do you want "good enough for the job" or "best bang for the buck" at your budget level ?

The components I listed are going to be super quick and should be very reliable, and if this were a multi use system I'd say go for it .. but single purpose workstations only really need to be "good enough for the task".

Though I'd still argue with him over the Linux distribution .. but then he'd expect nothing less ;)

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 11:26:29 pm »
The components I listed are going to be super quick and should be very reliable, and if this were a multi use system I'd say go for it .. but single purpose workstations only really need to be "good enough for the task".

What  I meant was that you could be spending your dosh on the wrong part. Say the app you use for video editing is not so good at multithreading, then you would be better off with a cpu with fewer cores but more Ghz.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 12:13:49 am »
I thought I'd covered that ???

"Ghz" (CPU frequency/clock speed) is no longer a good indicator of CPU performance when comparing apples and oranges .. an i7 at 3.4Ghz will likely be faster than an AMD FX at 4.0Ghz .. particularly for single threaded applications.

CPU choice is now a lot more complex than it used to be .. most tests I've read put i7's ahead of AMD's for things like rendering and compression.

I went for the AMD FX-8350 as its "overall" performance is very similarly to an i7-3770:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core
yet the i7 is nearly twice the price so would be seriously stretching the budget

Google seems to suggest most Linux (and Windows) video editing packages are now multi threaded, so the added cores of the AMD aren't going to hurt either.

That said .. photo and video editing is probably as much about RAM as CPU speed, and the i7 boards can support faster quad channel memory.

As always it's swings and roundabouts .. but it's generally hard to beat AMD for "bang for the buck".

It's all relative .. thank Einstein for that ;)

--
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 12:27:42 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Colin Newman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:24:09 am »
I run Coral Paintshop Pro(for underwater photos) Portrait Professional(all other photos) and Coral Video Studio Pro X6 for all videos.
I only run one at a time, any more and i'll be there for weeks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:28:22 am by Colin Newman »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:35:36 am »
Google suggests (as long as Paintshop Pro and Portrait Pro are recent versions) ALL of those are multi threaded.

BUT

You do realise those are Windows ONLY applications so Linux is NOT going to run them, you'll have to either use Windows or find Linux alternatives ?

[EDIT]

The more I've researched this .. the more I come to the conclusion that an i5-3570K may be a better bet.
http://www.ebuyer.com/349029-intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-socket-1155-6mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80637i53570k

Read this for why:
http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed

and oddly (because if the ivy bridge's inbuilt GPU) it may save you money on the initial build.
(you can add a more powerful graphics card later if you wish)

ADMI also do a pre-built bundle for the 3570K here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-3570k-4-4GHz-Overclocked/dp/B0085M0H7G/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1367317565&sr=8-40&keywords=3570K

--
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:54:50 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Colin Newman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »
Looked at link to amazon,seems good value for money,and found Gimp photo editing software. Added it my Mac to try, looks as good as coral.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:15:34 pm »
Yeh, the GIMP is a great application .. though at first it takes a little getting used to :)

It's also multithreaded .. so be sure (in the gimp) to go to:-

Edit>Preferences>Environment

and change the:-

Number of processors to use

Setting to whatever suits your needs.

Another method is to find your:-

gimprc

file, and add (or edit) this line:-

(num-processors 4)

Where 4 is the number of cores you wish to assign.

--
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:18:50 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal