Author Topic: Upgrading an Android tablet  (Read 6169 times)

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Upgrading an Android tablet
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:54 pm »
I have a self imposed policy of not giving advice unless I'm SURE it can be undone and/or won't cause further  damage .. which is why I also won't generally give remote advice on file recovery, or BIOS upgrades ;)

Call me chicken, but I refuse to be responsible for data or hardware loss.

[EDIT]

Unless of course they're paying me for the privilege of stamping their feet if things go wrong .. but then I'd want local access, so I could work from a copy and/or replace the hardware  ;)

--
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:21:11 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »
Mark i completely understand, if it were possible to minimize the risk by backing up the complete system with something like Clonezilla or Redo then if I screwed up we could just restore back then we'd have nothing to lose but in this case it seems there is a risk however small

As it stands now I'm still undecided but if I decide I want to go ahead and you agree to help me it would be on the understanding that I take the risk.

To be honest I wouldn't hold you or anyone responsible for anything going wrong if they were trying to help me 

I might call you a few unsavoury names but hey what's new :)

EDIT

I have a feeling that none of the above would stop you feeling guilty if you tried to help me and it all went horribly wrong, so in view of that it probably wouldn't be fair of me to put you in that position even if I am prepared to take the risk

Graeme

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:02:24 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »
Hehe :)

The point is I've never attempted this .. I gather the risk is minimal, but just don't *know*.

I have no idea if there's any kind of recovery routine for a bad flash, and it's going to be hard to find that out without *knowing* the make/model.

A1CS don't seem to have any kind of support (that I can find).

Other forums also (from what I've seen so far) only seem to be suggesting (on the DISCO10) you can move from 2.2 to 2.3 .. is that worth the risk ?

Why exactly do you want to upgrade ? .. if it's to get access to things like the Google Play, I gather it's easy enough to install software from an .apk file anyway.

--
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:03:38 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
Other forums also (from what I've seen so far) only seem to be suggesting (on the DISCO10) you can move from 2.2 to 2.3 .. is that worth the risk ?

In a word NO

Why exactly do you want to upgrade ?

I just thought it would be a good idea to update to the latest version, there's one example I've came across where I couldn't use a function in an App because I needed a more up to date version, but in spite of that I didn't really want to use that function anyway.

So I think all in all it's best left as it is meantime

But if in the future i want to throw caution to the wind and have a go you'll be the first to know

Thanks for your help so far and a thanks to SeZo & Bks as well for your help

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:15:42 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »
Fine by me .. I may even know more about this stuff by then :)

Offline BkS

• BkS Media Founder
  • sudo service reality-check start
    • View Profile
    • BkS Media
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 05:16:13 pm »
So I have been doing a little research for you, and it seems the model number DISCO10 actually is used for a few different tablets.

The list of tablets I've found so far is:

A Pad - Flytouch X220
A Pad - Flytouch 3
A Pad - SuperPad III

I'm guessing these are all the same tablet, with the same specs, just different fascias?

Could you confirm that you have one of these? Researching seems to show your most likely to have the Flytouch 3.

If this is the case, I'd like to help you at least upgrade to Android ICS 4.0. I'm sure there is a way, so give me a little time, and I'm sure I can come up with a fix.
If you try to look through Windows, you can see what the person is doing.
If you try to look through a Penguin, it WILL bite you.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 05:48:53 pm »
Hi Bks

There's is some doubt as to which tablet I have, if you've been following this thread the you tube video i posted on page 1 suggests it's a Flytouch 3 as mine only has 1 SD slot and it looks identical, however this ]http://www.android-tablet-comparison-world.com/navpage/compare-android-tablets.php?t1=gomefly3&t2=a1c220]   suggests that's it's not a Flytouch 3 because my boot screen shows the AICS logo so I'm sure it this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-X220-TABLET-ANDROID-1080P/dp/B004F33FJ6

Thanks for your offer of help I appreciate it, take all the time you need there's no hurry

Many thanks

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:13:38 pm by Emegra »

Offline BkS

• BkS Media Founder
    • View Profile
    • BkS Media
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 06:00:27 pm »
I understand there has been some confusion with identifying the device, however it seems your tablet is indeed a Flytouch 3, and that the X220 whether it be A1CS or A Pad who makes it, are both the same device, most likely sold under different names for different parts of the world.

From what I've been reading up on the device, it is simply a 'generic' Android device, and so like I said before pants to root.

It simply consists of downloading Launcher Pro, and Z4root.

I'm researching to see if there is a way to get you to ICS because then you could at least get some better performance and more uptodate apps.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »
OK I'm happy to follow your instructions, but please understand i'm not very tech savvy so you'll probably have to be patient and explain things to me step by step

If it's any help I already have a Launcher Pro icon but I've never opened it

Graeme

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 06:41:59 am »
HI guys

Looks like I've managed to do something stupid, In preparation for any further instructions I installed Z4Root via this tutorial   http://www.crazyforandroid.com/2012/10/download-z4root-android-apk/ everything went as the instructions said it would and I left it at that, then afterwards I realised I have no wireless, when i try to connect it just goes into an endless loop of scanning then obtaining IP address then disconnected and a padalock symbol indicating I'm locked out,

Z4Root wont work either now even though it worked immediately after installation but when I try to open it it opens the page with a message at the bottom of the screen saying "running exploit in order to obtain root access" and an endless rotating circle in the middle of the screen, I've tried uninstalling Z4Root, but I still have no wireless

I've obviously screwed up big time here and I'm tempted to reset to factory defaults but I'll leave it as it is for now in case someone has a better idea

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:26:11 am by Emegra »

Offline BkS

• BkS Media Founder
    • View Profile
    • BkS Media
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:37 am »
I've read about this, I believe the way to fix it, is to use Tim's scripts, via his Tim ROM.

I'm not sure which Android version it is, but many people seem to upgrade to it.

Did you run Z4root to root the device?

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
Did you run Z4root to root the device?

I followed the instructions on the link step by step and if I remember correctly I rooted then it rebooted then I Unrooted and it was was after that I discovered I had no wireless.

If it's any help I took the tablet to my work and it won't connect to that network either
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:41:42 pm by Emegra »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:06 pm »
I don't want to get too involved in this ATM, but have you guys seen these pages:
http://www.apad.tv/apadforum/content.php?130-Download-Flytouch-3-Superpad-2-Firmware-Archive
which includes links to all the TIMxy roms.

And a topic all about the flytouch 3/superpad 2:
http://www.apad.tv/apadforum/showthread.php?309-New-rooted-ROM-more-to-come/page31

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 07:15:56 am »
Update

I reset back to factory settings and it still won't connect to the wifi, I also tried disabling security at the router and that doesn't help either

Graeme
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:20:05 pm by Emegra »

Offline BkS

• BkS Media Founder
    • View Profile
    • BkS Media
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 08:06:52 am »
I'm a bit swamped with stuff at the minute and not had a minutes break. I should be able to help you later tonight.

Best thing to do is download the latest TimXY ROM, and then flash that onto your Flytouch 3. There should be scripts in the ROM somewhere for WiFi.

I can't do anything at the minute since I'm in Glasgow.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal