Author Topic: Peppermint 4 No software updates  (Read 859 times)

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Peppermint 4 No software updates
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:45 am »
As mentioned in my previous post re printer problems I also have a problem with software updates, firstly there's no update icon on the taskbar, If i try via Menu/System Tools/Software Updater a dialogue box appears saying "Failed to download repository information, check your internet connection"  but the internet connection is fine, this is only one of a few problems I'm having since installing Peppermint 4 and I'm trying to sort them out for myself, but I can't get my head around this one.

Any help would much appreciated

Many thanks

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Peppermint 4 No software updates
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:16 am »
Funny, you're the only person that seems to b e having problems :)

Anywho .. what is returned if you run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:22 am »
sudo apt-get update

Everything seems to run fine until these last 2 lines

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/handbrake-ubuntu/ppa/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Funny, you're the only person that seems to b e having problems

I know what you're saying Mark , don't think I don't feel bad about it but this is not a Peppermint issue as such, in fact I believe I would have these problems with any Ubuntu based distro post 12.04 because all these sort of issues began when I first installed Mint 14 (based on 12.10), you may remember helping me mount all my network drives in fstab because I couldn't stream video through the network via .gvfs,  I consequently gave up on MInt at that time  believing it was a Cinnamon/Nemo issue and later installed Mint 15 hoping these issues would be sorted but they weren't it was just the same,

now I'm experiencing the same issues with Peppermint 4 and the one common denominator is the gvfs directory being moved from /.gvfs to ~/run/user/<username>/gvfs, (which began with 12.10), it seems to me there's been a fundamental change somewhere in the file structure that doesn't agree with my setup because prior to Mint 14 & Peppermint 4 everything worked perfectly, in other words everything prior to 12.10.

I was going to post on this later in more detail because I have others issues I haven't posted about yet and because my problems are difficult to define or describe I was wanting to get some more information so I can try to give a clearer picture of what's going on.

Many thanks

Graeme

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:33:54 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Toonman

• Freeing the World form the Microsoft scurge!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:07 am »
I have just used the system settings/software updater on my live usb and it worked first time.  I don't have handbrake installed though.
Life is for living.  RIP Keith Floyd.   ;)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:54:03 pm »
Okey dokey .. one issue aat a time eh ;)

Open Synaptic .. then go to Settings>Repositories>Other Software (tab)

remove the ticks from anything that has the words "ppa.launchpad.net/handbrake-ubuntu" in it.

Click "Close" .. and exit Synaptic.

Now does:
sudo apt-get update
complete without error ?

and does Software Updater work ?

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »
Ok I removed the offending ppa and it updates without errors but still no icon on the taskbar

Graeme

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:12:15 pm »
There is no system tray icon now (Peppermint isn't using mint-update this release) .. but you'll know when updates are available, you'll receive a popup ;)

I know people will disagree, but IMHO mint-update sucked, and was misleading anyway .. and why would you want a tray icon taking up space when there are no updates ? .. surely a popup every now and again when there ARE updates makes more sense ?

--
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:19:23 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:35 pm »
I know people will disagree, but IMHO mint-update sucked, and was misleading anyway .. and why would you want a tray icon taking up space when there are no updates ? .. surely a popup every now and again when there ARE updates makes more sense ?

I wholeheartedly agree, I just assumed there was meant to be one and when I seen it wasn't there I assumed there was something wrong, my apologies  :)

Once again many thanks for your help

Graeme
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:13:01 pm by Emegra »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »
Hi Toonman

Sorry I missed your post

I have just used the system settings/software updater on my live usb and it worked first time.  I don't have handbrake installed though.

I probably caused this problem for myself (something I excel at) the handbrake ppa is something I installed and I should have removed it once I realised it was wrong.

Thanks for your input

Graeme

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal