Author Topic: LIBRE OFFICE - how big? Urgent  (Read 3642 times)

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: LIBRE OFFICE - how big? Urgent
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »
Well I gotta get this working- have any idea where repositories for that library would be- how do you force it to install them?  I thought they support LTR for 5 years. Open Office should still work OK though, right? Actually had a bunch of frightening freeze-crashes right after I read of some new Linux virus (Hand of smtg, though it was just financial theft)- the second I get a Pep3 disc working, I'm wiping this partition- already backed up everything. This is 7 years old- I don't think it can handle the requirements of 12.4 (which I put on a landlords lappy). I'm also constrained by partition's tiny size (7.5gb)

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:51 pm »
What's with that damn Computer Janitor? (In admin-standard prog?).  I thought packages means installation packages, which can be removed. What programs RUN from packages or have libraries on them. It gave me about 5 Libre packages to remove, then after I did it 10 more appeared, which looked strange (now that you've destroyed it, might as well remove everything). I'd already removed them with Tweak, so I shoulda been more cautious.

OK if I remove Libre completely, that other repository must have the associated libraries, mustn't it????????????
What good is the main program without the libraries that it needs?

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »
I thought they support LTR for 5 years

Erm, they support LTS's NOW for 5 years .. but they didn't when 10.04 came out .. that got 3 years

See here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
Support for the desktop edition of 10.04 finished in May this year.

Apparently one of the versions of LibreOffice 4 had issues with that library .. known bug .. You must have that version, and there's AFAIK no way to get a later version in 10.04
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »
There's a known issue that renders the entire Office suite unusable and nobody in this massive community just posts that library somewhere? Well any other different libre repositories that you know? The libre office was reading docx etc, but not having the spellcheck was a huge pain

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »
How about this one 4.0.4
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=deb-x86_64&version=4.0.4&lang=en-US
or the next lower one: 3.6.7
Since I had 4 something, 3.6.7 must be old enough to work

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 03:10:59 pm »
Jeez, I gotta get something working or run to borrow another lappy now. Got translations to do. Don't want to remove Libre if there's a simple fix possible. A little afraid it will leave remnants behind that may screw up subsequent installations.

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 03:23:05 pm »

>You could try purging the LibreOffice PPA's you have added .. then go back to the original version of LibreOffice from the 10.04 repositories.

How?? Is that Libre link i sent good for that- they don't say anything about working on different versions.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 03:26:51 pm »
Which link ?

What's the output from:
Code: [Select]
for APT in `find /etc/apt/ -name *.list`; do grep -o "^deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/[a-z0-9\-]\+/[a-z0-9\-]\+" $APT | while read ENTRY ; do USER=`echo $ENTRY | cut -d/ -f4` PPA=`echo $ENTRY | cut -d/ -f5` ; echo ppa:$USER/$PPA ; done ; done
(that will list active PPA's on your system)
and
dpkg -l | grep libre
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:28:31 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »
Well tried to purge libreoffice- said I don't have it installed. Removed libre-writer. Tried installing openoffice.org-writer, got this:
Oh, gotta add that PPA- that gets purged too?

root@mak4-laptop:/home/mako4# apt-get install openoffice.org-writer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  openoffice.org-writer: Depends: openoffice.org-core (= 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.4) but it is not going to be installed
                         Depends: openoffice.org-base-core (= 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu4.4) but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: openoffice.org-emailmerge but it is not going to be installed
                         Recommends: openoffice.org-math but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Output from first command:
cho ppa:$USER/$PPA ; done ; done
ppa:transmissionbt/ppa
ppa:tualatrix/ppa
ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-4-0
ppa:libreoffice/ppa
ppa:anonbeat/guayadeque

OUTPUT GREP:

ii  libdjvulibre-text                     3.5.22-1ubuntu4.1                               Linguistic support files for libdjvulibre
ii  libdjvulibre21                        3.5.22-1ubuntu4.1                               Runtime support for the DjVu image format
ii  libreadline5                          5.2-7build1                                     GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries
ii  libreadline6                          6.1-1                                           GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries
ii  libreoffice-base                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- database
ii  libreoffice-base-core                 1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- shared library
ii  libreoffice-calc                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- spreadsheet
ii  libreoffice-common                    1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- arch-independent files
ii  libreoffice-core                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- arch-dependent files
ii  libreoffice-draw                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- drawing
ii  libreoffice-filter-mobiledev          1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- mobile devices filters
ii  libreoffice-impress                   1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- presentation
ii  libreoffice-java-common               1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- arch-independent Java support
rc  libreoffice-math                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- equation editor
ii  libreoffice-report-builder-bin        1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     LibreOffice extension for building database reports -- lib
ii  libreoffice-style-galaxy              1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- Galaxy (Default) symbol style

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:13 pm »
Before we go any further .. are you planning on digging the hole any deeper, or waiting for instructions ?

It would be pointless me attempting to give you instructions whilst you keep trying things on your own that will inevitably change the instructions I'd have to give you.

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:24 pm »
Now I'm waiting

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 04:48:31 pm »
OK, let's start by removing LibreOffice:
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
then
sudo apt-get clean
then
sudo apt-get autoremove
then post the output from:
sudo find ~/ -name libreoffice

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:30 pm »
Sorry, went out. Billionaire wanted something done now (or his flunkies). OK - removed all that stuff. And get no output when looking for any libre office names. So * means all files with that name? Why would it say "Libre Office not installed" when trying to remove? Cause it was just removing and looking for main program, not all ancillary stuff?

Hope you're still there. Please give me instructions for installing Open Office too, though guess I removed depositories.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:43 pm »
What's the output from:
dpkg -l | grep libreoffice

Offline mako6

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 11:13:13 pm »
Only this:
rc  libreoffice-math                      1:4.0.2~rc2-0ubuntu1~lucid1                     office productivity suite -- equation editor

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal