Author Topic: Laptop woes [SOLVED by installing Peppermint!]  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Laptop woes [SOLVED by installing Peppermint!]
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »
During what was supposed to be a fix to a minor problem on my Dell Latitude D505 laptop, I managed to lose the top panel completely (Classic view) then lock myself out of my account! 
Since this is a "play" laptop I decided to reload Ubuntu from the V12.04 ISO disk that I have used for several machines but received this error:
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU: 
pae
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

I certainly haven't been fiddling with the BIOS, so I have no idea what could be wrong.  Does anyone else?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:15:24 pm by Keith »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Laptop woes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »
Ubuntu dropped support for non PAE CPU's in 12.04 .. by not including a non PAE kernel in the ISO image

there ARE options available to you

a) see here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-1204-on-non-pae.html
for how to use the miniISO for the installation, and a wired connection to get the rest.

b) you could try this NON OFFICIAL non pae 12.04 image:
http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/12.04-nonpae/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386-nonpae.iso
I can't vouch for this .. it's up to you.

c) Install Lubuntu/Xubuntu 12.04 .. then install the Unity or Gnome desktop

d) Install Peppermint 3 .. and if you choose, install the Unity or Gnome Desktop

e) choose another distro that still has a non pae kernel

To tell the truth if it's older hardware, you'd probably be better off with Lubuntu or Peppermint anyway
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:53:23 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:05:21 pm »
A plethora of options!
The really odd thing is that V 12.04 has been working on this machine for quite a while.  On the other hand, it might explain some of my problems. 
I guess the Latitude D505 would be considered old technology now and it would be interesting to try one of the other distros that you mention. 
First, though, can you tell me what "pae" is? 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
If you've had 12.04 on the laptop already .. maybe the earlier 12.04 image *did* have a non-pae kernel.

is the LiveCD you're using now the latest one .. IIRC 12.04.2 used kernel 3.5 .. where the original used 3.2

So maybe getting hold of the original would work. <-- though I'm *fairly* sure that was non pae too

Or was this an online upgrade from 11.10 ?  <-- which might explain how you got 12.04 on with a non pae kernel

--
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:27:30 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
Ah, now I can't remember that.  I thought I installed from the ISO disk, but my memory isn't what is was. 

I have just found askubuntu.com/questions/117744/how-can-i-install-on-a-non-pae-cpu-error-kernel-requires-features-not-present which has a wealth of explanation about PAE and non-PAE, and it looks like I must have upgraded from 11.10.

Although I have been considering buying a modern laptop, which would solve all this, I shall have a think about the methods you suggest and try one just for the experience. I'll let you know how I get on.

My thanks as usual, Mark.

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:20 am »
Hi Keith

I had the same issue trying to install Peppermint 4 on my Dell Latitude D600 which I assume is a similar machine to yours, I think these old laptops are beginning to show their age now, So I'm stuck with Peppermint 3, but to be honest it's no hardship, PM3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 which is an LTS release so it's good for updates for a few years yet but more importantly it flies on this old machine

So If your laptop has similar spec to mine (and I suspect it does) Ubuntu might be a little on the heavy side anyway so trying PM3 might be worth your consideration.

Anyway good luck whichever way you go

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:45 am »
Hello Graeme.
Mark mentioned some time ago that he recommended Peppermint as a useful introduction to Linux, adding that I might need a bit of support.  Your experience on the D600 encourages me to try this distro.  Just one thing, though: if PM3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04, doesn't it require PAE? 

Keith

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:32:26 am »
Just one thing, though: if PM3 is based on Ubuntu 12.04, doesn't it require PAE? 

That's a good question in view of the problem you're having and not one I can answer, however i can say that PM3 (which is definitely based on v12.04) installed on my laptop without any issues and PM4 which I think is based on v12.10 had the same issue as your having, so all I can suggest is give it a try and see how it goes and if it fails then nothing is lost.

Graeme
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:41:27 am by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:47:53 am »
If you want to experiment with other non-pae kernel distros then you could do worst than trying Debian Wheezy
(it will be good for another 2+ years and you can keep it up to date with enabling the backports repo)
Debian 7 Live LXDE desktop (non-free)
Debian 7 Live XFCE desktop (non-free)
or you could try SolydX which is a semi rolling (never need to re-install) XFCE desktop distro, based on Debian testing.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:48 am »
Peppermint 3 was built with a non PAE kernel.

Ubuntu 12.04 has non-pae kernels available (for people that upgraded from 11.10) but they chose not to include it on the LiveCD ISO image .. Lubuntu and Xubuntu *did* use the non-pae kernel for their images.

Peppermint 3 is really based on Lubuntu 12.04 .. so like Lubuntu, it has a non-pae kernel yet still uses the Ubuntu 12.04 repos.

Ubuntu 12.04 still supported non-pae kernels, and still put out non-pae kernel updates .. it's just that you couldn't install it from the normal LiveCD ISO.

That said .. 12.04 was the LAST version to support non-pae, so Lubuntu no longer has an Ubuntu patched kernel to use (unless they roll their own) so neither does Peppermint 4

There are other options to Peppermint though .. as SeZo has previously pointed out Bodhi:
http://www.bodhilinux.com/downloads_desktop.php
do both a pae and non-pae version .. I'm personally not a fan of the Enlightenment desktop environment, but Mad Penguin now swears by it.

I'm kinda stuck in a weird limbo here .. I don't want to be seen to push Peppermint onto everyone, yet I do think it's a damn good distro .. that said there'll be little in it between Peppermint Lubuntu, Debian LXDE, WattOS, LXLE, etc. .. they are all Debian/Ubuntu with the LXDE desktop environment .. I personally like Peppermint because I think it's more polished than the others, but mainly because it doesn't make software choices for you, which on other distros inevitably means you need to get rid of some stuff before installing what you want .. think of Lubbuntu/WattOS's use of Abiword and Gnumeric, who the f**k uses those so they immediately get uninstalled and LibreOfiice gets installed. Peppermint saves you the trouble of uninstalling the cruft by using web apps for nearly everything out of the box, yet still allows you to install whatever you want locally.

Now don't get me wrong .. I'm not a fan of cloud computing .. what I am a fan of is Peppermints ability to come without software chosen by someone else pre-installed, yet still be a fully functional OS by using web apps .. so the "choice" is there, web apps are easily integrated into the menus, and/or you install software locally if you prefer, but then it's only the software YOU chose.

OK, starting to sound like a sales pitch again .. Peppermint suits *me* perfectly, but that's not to say it will suit everyone .. so please don't make decisions solely based on what I say .. try a few out, and decide for yourself.

--
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:42:10 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:01 pm »
Having browsed the web and this forum for comments on Peppermint I am tempted to try it, particularly as help is available here.  This laptop is just for playing with so I don't mind if I screw up big-time - the only thing I am expert at. 
I, too, don't like the idea of the default use of cloud s/w, especially having read Google's privacy policies (what privacy?) but like the idea that one can remove those applications and download one's own preferences.  I trust that means I can use Thunderbird and Firefox. 
I did consider installing VirtualBox to try out several OSs, but the documentation frightened me off.  A pity, as VB looks really useful. 
I am about download from http://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/, unless anyone has last-minute advice. 

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:22:54 pm »
Nope: that URL is Peppermint 4.
I found this one:  peppermintos.info/dl1/Peppermint-3-20120722-i386.iso

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 03:28:21 pm »
Yep that's the one you'd want .. and yes, you can remove Chromium and replace it with Firefox.

Just be aware that the Ice application (for building web shortcuts that open "as applications", and adding them to the menus) needs Chromium to work.

it *can* be modified to work with Firefox, but won't open them "as applications" .. in other words Ice can be modified to create web shortcuts that will open in Firefox, but they'll open in a normal firefox browser tab.

But if you don't intend to use web apps anyway .. who cares right ?

[EDIT]

I take it back .. thee same thing CAN be achieved in Firefox .. you just need to have 2 profiles in firefox, one where all the menu and tab bars are hidden. Then modify the Ice app python code.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:04:39 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:13:50 pm »
{Sorry: I can't get the links displaying properly}

Well I took the plunge and went for a whole-disk installation of Peppermint 3

I found that the URL [url=http://iso.linuxquestions.org/peppermint-os/peppermint-os-three/]http://iso.linuxquestions.org/peppermint-os/peppermint-os-three/ [/url] provided both a download link for the ISO file and the value of the checksum so that I could verify the veracity of the file. Ubuntu comes with md5sum that runs in a terminal and the checksum was fine.

The installation & checking process is described very well in [url=http://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/]http://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/][/url] but  beware that the Peppermint download link on this site is actually for Pepermint 4, so use the one above, or similar. 
This site has useful instructions for creating the installation medium, which was of particular interest to me as my DVD drive was not functioning in Ubuntu and I needed a bootable USB stick.  To do this, I downloaded UNetbootin from [url=http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/]http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/  [/url]  but note that one needs to change the permissions for the file before it will run:
chmod +x ./unetbootin-linux-585
Note also that UNetbootin needs p7zip to unpack the file, and it can be found in the repositories. 

When running UNetbootin:
  • Ignore the Distribution bit at the top of the window. 
  • select "Diskimage"
  • select the ISO file from your Downloads folder
  • Select destination drive type & drive if necessary.  USB was already displayed in my case.
  • Click OK [/i]
You will be invited to reboot or not.

Having played around with Peppermint for an hour or so, I must say that it feels very comfortable despite the slightly reduced functionality compared with Ubuntu.  There are one or two things that need sorting out (such as connecting to a wireless printer) but with this forum's unfailing help I'm sure I can do that. 
My thanks to all contributors; but don't go away as I have this question about Peppermint.........
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:16:57 pm by Keith »

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Laptop woes [SOLVED by installing Peppermint!]
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
Glad you got it sorted. I am sure Mark will provide you with all the assistance you may need with Peppermit. ;)

@Mark
Is it not time to create a separate Peppermint section on the forum? :-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:39:04 pm by SeZo »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal