Author Topic: Alternatives to Android ...  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Alternatives to Android ...
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »
[EDIT]

If you want to save yourself the time of reading this whole post, that somehow became overly extended .. here's the abridged version -

"Nope, smartphones are not for me"

;)

But if you want to feel suicidal after wasting another chunk of your life .. carry on below

[END EDIT]

Strange as it may seem, I also don't like swiss army knives, made of peanut butter multi-tools, or pretty much any other "jack of all trades" device.

Health monitoring -

a) if there's not a medical pre-condition to begin with, I don't need to be convinced there is .. if I want to be scared, I can just watch the news (not on a smartphone .. too small) .. nor am I really interested in being told precisely when I'm going to die. I'm also guessing it's possible to live healthily without needing a device to tell you you're doing it (I certainly don't need one to tell me I don't, I already know that).
(images of me lying in a field with my smartphone in a soothing female voice that reminds me of a satnav telling me I'm having a heart attack .. just so I can waste my last few seconds on earth smashing it to bits, spring to mind)

I'm guessing I'll not need to have my life story pre-recorded on a smartphone for it to flash before my eyes .. not to mention, with some of the crap media players I've seen on these devices, I may miss it altogehter

and

b) if there IS a pre-condition, then OK, but they should be on the NHS and probably better made than the average smartphone.
(images of me lying in a field with my better quality NHS device telling me in an urgent doctors voice I'm having a heart attack .. just so I can waste my last few seconds on earth attempting to smash it to bits and failing, spring to mind)

Other apps -

I have no doubt there are a "few" handy apps out there, but I'm not one for getting a device so I can look for something I don't even know I need .. if I have no yearning for it, I don't need it.

I'm not saying this will always be the case, and I can see that smartphones are driving innovation in other areas .. but until one of those innovations slaps me in the face as a "I can't already do that, and I NEED it", I'lll remain unconvinced.

I reached "can't live without one" status quite some time ago ...

Nice soundbite .. but plainly not true ..  in the VAST majority of cases they've made people LESS productive (spending more time telling people what tey had for breakfast on twitter) .. I'm assuming you were alive when you bought one .. and I still think they are (currently) creating nothing more than  a "perceived" need, and more work.

So whenever I hear that I tend to hear "conned by the hype into thinking I need one" ;)
(though your sever monitoring scenario is a "real world" benefit I suppose)

or I think of the amount of times I've said/thought "I can't live without cigarettes/alcohol/curry".
(which probably explains my fear of health monitoring .. if I put on a heart monitor it would probably scare me into a heart attack)

For now I remain convinced that if I had one, I'd probably (eventually) find something to use it for (just so I didn't feel I'd wasted the money) .. but not that I'd NEED it for .. so my life would probably be downgraded as a result rather than enriched.

Maybe in my next life I'll need a device to tell me where I've just been .. or possibly by then it'll be able to tell me where I'm going to go before I do, giving me a chance to change the plans I'd not yet made :)

Until then, as you can see I plainly run off at the mouth too much as it is, I don't need a device to make it easier for me to post sh*t nobody's interested in .. and neither does the rest of the world need me to have one. ;)

Recent event also seem to suggest the world may be better off with LESS connectivity, not MORE.
(kids commiting suicide because of social media bullying, account cracking and cyber crime, terrorists using the interweb/encrypted comms to organise, untrustworthy governments with PRISM, untrustworthy corporations data harvesting and profiling, etc., etc.)

Before someone asks if I'd legislate to govern the interweb or do away with smartphones .. NO, I'm all for freedom of speech/comms, and hate legislating anything .. but neither do I personally need to be tempted into giving up more of my privacy/time by another shiny gadget with no visible upside and probably a lot of downsides.

There you go world, another of my opinions, that have no more validity than anyone else's so probably deserve to be in print as much as 99.99999999 % of everything else on the web ;)

--
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:57:54 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 02:26:41 pm »
I remember an advertisement on the TV for one of these things where a guest at a wedding ceremony was able to watch the football on his smart device without anyone noticing, now I don't know exactly what the advert was trying to say, but what it said to me was buy this device and show the world what an anti social ignorant arse you are and don't worry if it leaves you with no real friends there are thousands of fellow ars"@""s just like you dying to be your virtual friends on Facebook we even have a free app for it.

I'm not denying that there are some practical uses for them but for the most part that's not what they're being used for and they are breeding a  generation of illiterate, ignorant anti social morons who've lost the ability to socially interact with other REAL people
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:57:32 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline banko

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:28 pm »
lets start by saying I'm over 60
 and i'm on no social networks except for google +which i use for sharing videos taken on my phone in HD of my grandchildren, with my son.

on my phone. I have google maps which includes a sat nav, so no need to purchase extra, I can use it to find places close by.
I was in Norwich with the wife and she wanted a return to Carluccios bar, not knowing Norwich very well, I opened maps, typed in carluccios, and it gave me directions.

It has a high quality camera and video recorder, so I don't have to lug a camera around,

I can receive  70,000+ radio stations????????, serious though, when out walking last week I could catch up with the Test match.

All the sites I visit, including this one, I can access any time, a big +

With Boat Browser I can search the web ( I have unlimited data plan)

Dropbox, Evernote, Kingsoft office, National Trust, English Heritage, google earth, street view,

I do birding, so have a couple of birding apps for ID etc so don't have to carry books,

Sky +, so if I want I can record a program, even if I'm away on holiday.

Sky go and BT sport, HA HA. ( I was that person at a childs birthday party, who went outside for a bit of peace and put the F1 qualifying on, soon i had about 10 new friends ;))

what else, oh yeah Kindle app,you tube, dropbox, drive, everything i do is automatically uploaded,
BBC weather, iplayer, calender, news on the go. oh yeah and e'mail,

Cannot open my libre office documents though, anyone knows how, feel free to post

I think I'll stop now, I'm sure you get the gist, its an addition to my netbook, not a way of life. But I love it.

Keith :) ;) :D ;D 8)

BTW I even made a phone call today
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:21:35 pm by banko »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
And you couldn't have done all those things (probably better) AND open LO docs with your netbook (and possibly a dongle) ?
(and had a REAL keyboard to boot)

Ok maybe not the Camera .. but then your phone isn't "really" a high quality camera .. no matter what the sales rep says.
(and my dumb phone has a camera for snapshots .. which incidentally I never use anyway)

Still not convinced I need one ;)

From what I've seen, Android apps are distinctly "mickey mouse" by comparison to Linux ones.

But I'm quite willing to admit I'm wrong if someone points out something I need that I currently can't do ??

So far, battery life is te only semi-convincing argument I've heard, and that doesn't really apply to my usage patterns.

SatNav, possibly .. but then I already have a SatNav. (or the interweb on my netbook)

To me a smartphone is an accident waiting to be stolen, and has no upside that justifies the expense.

--
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:58:53 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2013, 06:12:22 pm »
I am with Mark on this one, Recently my kids tried to convince me to go with the times and upgrade my 10+ years old phone.
After looking around for some time, i could not convince myself to buy a phone smarter than me.
So I expended considerable effort to get a semi modern (flip) phone which does nothing more than make calls, send text and take photos.
It lasts me over a week on one charge (always on). Contrast this with my daughters ithingy wich she needs to charge twice a day and still regularly runs it flat.
Just my 2p :)

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2013, 06:27:24 pm »
I can understand their usefulness in the context that banko & Mad Penguin has described, I'm not saying they're useless, yes you can do all these things better with a netbook, but you cant stick a netbook in your pocket so I can see the benefit there,

the biggest problem I have with them is their social impact and the seemingly addictive nature of them, from what I see particularly young people would rather spend endless hours interacting with these things playing Angry Birds or some other infantile mind numbing game or posting nothing of any importance on Facebook than interacting with their friends or family in the real world
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:31:00 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2013, 06:38:22 pm »
My AA1 will fit in my pocket .. OK, they're BIG pockets .. just sayin :)

Bigger pockets don't cost anywhere near as much as a smartphone.

Offline banko

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2013, 06:51:03 pm »
Mark,

each to there own.

the camera on a good phone for general photography, is very good and the video recorder excellent.

when i play a video back on my HD tv the quality is HD, this amazed me when I 1st tried it,

there are a few keyboards out there, I use Thumb keyboard , in portrait mode its a split keyboard with a numberpad in the middle. After a bit of practice with the thumbs, I can type almost as quick as on a proper keyboard (which is pretty slow)

but hey I sounding like I'm trying to convince you,

I'm just saying there's more to one than social media and walking around like a zombie,

hope you see the light sometime soon ;)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »
hope you see the light sometime soon ;)

Hehe .. somehow I doubt it .. I love my little netbook (though BIG would probably be truer in this context) with REAL keyboard too much :)

Still waiting to be convinced .. somebody show me the killer app.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 07:24:48 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline banko

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2013, 07:33:07 pm »
Graeme,

even though I "love" my phone I do agree with much of what you say,

Last summer my cousin and her husband came over from Canada and we had a day out at Hardwick Hall. We went for a coffee and sat down when 3 young kids came, they were probably mid teens, very well dressed etc, they sat on the table next to us and in all the time they did not speak, they sat doing whatever they were doing on there phones ( could have been texting each other) then without saying a word they got up and left, on their phones all the way,
Now this does worry me.

congrats on turning purple BTW.

Keith

To all, isn't it good to be able to disagree?

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:11 pm »
Yeah Keith your story is all too typical, a couple of years ago my two daughters (in their early 20's) come on holiday with us, one evening we all went out for a drink although ii's very rare for us  to get a chance to all be together like that they sat the whole evening on their smartphones, as much as it saddens me to say and as much as I hate to admit it it was ignorant, but they're not unique I see it everywhere

congrats on turning purple BTW.

struggling to live up to it but thank you :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:03:49 pm by Emegra »

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
  • I am fairly new to Linux
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:09 pm »
Beginning to look like Mavis at least has job security :)

The world could do with the humble Mavises of this world having a say in how things should operate.

Make tea not war.
In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Using two computers- Peppermint on old HP laptop and Mint on new Dell netbook.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 08:48:18 pm »
I've said it before .. These things do nothing for me.

I'm quite happy with a phone that just makes phone calls, and my netbook with a real OS.

My sons have an iPod toch and a Nexus 7, and i quite literally can't see the point .. and I usually love gadgets.

Yeah those app things don't interest me either- spending one's life with a mobile phone in one's hand? Nah. I prefer my 1967 dial phone and a netbook with a cool operating system and good old fashioned face to face coffee chat.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:28:21 pm by Melissa »

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:24 pm »
I once saw 2 girls walk into a pub buy a drink sit down at a table, then each of them got their iphones out at sat transfixed to them for half an hour before getting up and leaving without barely uttering 2 words to each other.

What is even more sadder than that it is is true, is that this does not surprise me Emegra.I once had a friend who would make constant phone calls when we were supposed to be meeting up ( her place or mine) and it wasn't like 5 minute calls they were like 30-40 minutes and about 5 of them. I tried dropping a few hints I was fed up with it, but no joy there,  then came out and asked why she couldn't just turn the thing off or ask them to call back later- surely if it wasn't an emergency the face to face person one is sitting with is the priority?! Ok we all take calls sometimes but unless important keep them brief- I mean why invite a friend round then spend the whole time on one's mobile phone gassing a load of rubbish to people the other friend doesn't even know..then when the calls end tell the friend the whole life stories of these callers?! Nuts!!

It reminds me of an episode of Star Trek (Melissa will likely know what I'm talking about) when Wiill Riker brought a game onboard the Enterprise that you played with your mind the game was pointless, it, was nothing more than popping a ball into a cup if I remember right  but it was so addictive it took over the minds of the entire crew one by one until everyone was under it's spell.

I do- it was called The Game- and no surprise it was Riker the plonker who got that game. I never did like TNG, except for the odd episode and Q- he took the mickey out of boring old Picard. As if Kirk would have been interested in some stupid virtual cup and ball game!

That's kinda how I see smartphones, dangerously addictive anti social toys

It's what they are.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:28:45 pm by Melissa »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 10:29:05 pm »
Quote from: Melissa
Make tea not war.

Love it :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal