On an earlier (and brighter note!).
Mark. I am on holiday in Provence France. My Samsung Note 2 so far has made these tasks for me:
1. Made phone calls!
2. Replied and sent 27 emails
3. Five text messages
4. Used Copilot Sat Nav (superb too)
5. Taken Pictures
6. Taken Videos
8. Checked the BBC news in 'Blighty'
9. Accessed and sent numerous files via cloud for various means.
10. Reading 'Down and out in Paris and London' on E-book reader.
11. Watching several Youtube videos.
12. Checked the results of my crap football team (just makes me drink more!).
13. Paid online bills with bank app and checked my ever decreasing balance.
14. Listened to various American blues internet radio channels.
15. Checked my Ebay acount.
All done with a small powerful device that can fit in a (large) pocket.
I love Linux and also use a netbook, but it (netbook) cannot match the portability and power of a modern
high end Andriod phone.
Mark, throw the two cans and piece of string away and embrace new modern technology.
Better still try and get the peppermint boffins to get a working PP distro working on mobile....I'd adopt it.
Back to my Pastis. (that's a drink not a west country savory!)