Author Topic: A question about hackers  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Re: A question about hackers
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 10:37:11 pm »
I have a company number on TPS , which prevents a lot of UK calls .. trick is then to block International calls. ;D

Number isn't really used much, main number is 0845 and comes in via Asterisk.

Put the number on 10 years ago, gets renewed as a matter of course, can't see any reason to remove now it's there....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 01:56:57 pm »
It seems that I have led a very sheltered life, and been lucky - possibly because, being of a somewhat bolshie disposition, I object when suppliers demand unnecessary, personal information.  And I tend to order stuff by 'phone after finding it on-line.  Perhaps this is the secret. 
Anyway; all these posts have peeked my curiosity and I have been doing a bit digging (is that sad, or what?) and have discovered that the Mad Penguin's cynicism is warranted.  Here are my results:

Quoted from:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_Preference_Service
“The [TPS] service is paid for by the direct marketing industry. There is a similar service for corporate users, the Corporate Telephone Preference Service (CTPS).”
“….a survey by Which? found that people registered on the TPS list received twice as many marketing calls as those not on the list.”
“A spokesman for the Direct Marketing Association—who run the TPS—said in July 2012 that it had received a dramatic increase in complaints from telephone subscribers cold-called by telemarketing firms, and that some firms simply chose to ignore the rules. The DMA sent between 1,000-2,000 complaints to the Information Commissioner's Office each month, yet no penalty fines had been imposed in at least 18 months.”

Quoted from:   http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/whatistps.html
“Do I need to renew my subscription with the TPS?
No, the service is intended for live telephone numbers. As such, provided your telephone number remains active it will remain registered with this free service.” 

Quoted from:   http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/news1.html
“We will not contact you again in relation to your registration (unless you have number(s) registered with the Corporate TPS, where we will contact you annually by email to renew your subscription - this is still a free service).”
(Lists ~20 of many similar, unregulated services)
“TPS is the only official Opt Out service that companies are required to abide by under the UK law and that is regulated by Ofcom.”

http://corporate.tpsonline.org.uk/
“The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a list of consumers (including Sole Traders and Partnerships, except in Scotland) who have registered their wish not to receive unsolicited direct marketing calls.”
Cost to obtain the file - Subscriptions can be purchased on an Annual or Ad-Hoc basis. Please see our price list for more information.”
http://corporate.tpsonline.org.uk/index.php/tps/cost
Licensee Cost Breakdown
The tables below detail the costs involved for the different types of licence available.”  [Extract:]
Annual (Full) Licence:    £2640

Now what company would pay ~£k in order not to be able to sell you something?
And for the real worriers; grab your comfort blanket and visit these websites:

On PayPal
"Do you have a significant amount of uncompleted e-commerce sales or the online shopping cart abandonments?”
http://annystudio.com/misc/losing-customers-because-of-paypal/

On Sharing your personal information
"Nearly every privacy policy document of each organisation starts with the solemn words “We value your privacy”. Unfortunately, often the value is measured in dollars that the organisation can make out of the possession and usage of your personal information.”
http://annystudio.com/misc/protect-your-privacy

As a result of contributors' posts to this topic, I am becoming paranoid about privacy.  Thanks a lot!   ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:04:41 pm by Keith »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »
The old saying went "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you", or sommat like that ...

New saying "no point in being paranoid, they already have you".
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
  • I am fairly new to Linux
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 02:16:47 pm »
I am now getting insurance companies calling me for "Mrs Hardwicke" and leaving me messages about supposed insurance claims I have made online. I am fuming. I am reporting this to the fraud squad as I am both angry and worried that my number is being used to claim insurance by somebody.
In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Using two computers- Peppermint on old HP laptop and Mint on new Dell netbook.

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »
Does the caller identify the company and give his/her name?  If so, then I suggest looking up the company's contact details (to check that it is real) and writing to them with all the details.  A good point is always to get a reference number from the person you are talking to as this always helps to speed up resolution. 
Copy the letter to ActionFraud and ensure that the letter says you are doing that.  Stating all the facts as you know them and making it very plain that you are taking positive action with the authorities always makes a useful impression.  I take it that you don't have any insurance policies with the company? 
Sadly, I hear on Radio 4 that ActionFraud does not take any action on an issue until they have received a thousand or so complaints.  But don't let that stop you from complaining.  I do. 

Good luck

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
I had cause to use Action Fraud last week on an entirely different matter - don't waste your time.

Our political system and legal structure is broken. totally corrupt and morally bankrupt. This is not cynicism it's merely an observation based on fact / experience. Unfortunately I've not lead such a sheltered life in this respect and unfortunately am losing my tolerance for the muppets who are continually screwing us all.

I'm thinking of registering a new domain name for a crowd sourcing idea, something like "payemavisit.org.uk" .. ;)

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »

Does the caller identify the company and give his/her name?  If so, then I suggest looking up the company's contact details (to check that it is real) and writing to them with all the details.  A good point is always to get a reference number from the person you are talking to as this always helps to speed up resolution. 

Just looked up the insurance company- cannot see any listing. I'll be damned if I will dialthe number as it an 08000 one which I bet will be either bogus or cost me an arm and a leg to ring. I will give the details to the fraud people. As for reference numbers and names- you gotta be joking- I ask them to give me details and all they do is state that I am the mysterious Mrs Hardwicke and won't answer my questions.

I take it that you don't have any insurance policies with the company? 

No and I have never looked up insurance companies either.

Sadly, I hear on Radio 4 that ActionFraud does not take any action on an issue until they have received a thousand or so complaints.  But don't let that stop you from complaining.  I do. 

Good luck

Thanks.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 04:39:48 pm »
I had cause to use Action Fraud last week on an entirely different matter - don't waste your time.

Well, I will still report the matter as what if there is some "Mrs Hardwicke" ordering things and doing fraud using my phone  number? I have had many phone calls from random "companies" asking for this "Mrs Hardwicke" so something shady is going on.

Our political system and legal structure is broken. totally corrupt and morally bankrupt. This is not cynicism it's merely an observation based on fact / experience. Unfortunately I've not lead such a sheltered life in this respect and unfortunately am losing my tolerance for the muppets who are continually screwing us all.

I have no tolerance for these gits whatsoever and my normally laid back demeanour is being replaced by anger. These sh*ts need taking down. Bloody control freaks who I bet are laughing their heads off at how they are continually abusing their positions and looking down their noses at hardworking decent folk.

I'm thinking of registering a new domain name for a crowd sourcing idea, something like "payemavisit.org.uk" .. ;)

Oh do explain..sounds intriguing- what is crowd sourcing?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:41:44 pm by Melissa »

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »
In view of the apparent frequency of these harassing calls, your telephone provider may be legally obliged to assist you in stopping them. 
Worth checking on that? 

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »
In view of the apparent frequency of these harassing calls, your telephone provider may be legally obliged to assist you in stopping them. 
Worth checking on that?

I already tried that Keith- I would have to pay for a call barring service which really wouldn't be much help as I would have to kep submitting the numbers- wouldn't stop new ones calling me and many times they withheld the number/it's a dead number when I diall 1571/1471.

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »
Keith :: call blocking / harassment isn't that easy to set up ...

Melissa :: crowd sourcing, effectively split up a large job (or sometimes the cost of said job) between very many people ... "Many hands make .. etc ..". In this case, some thing like "there is someone on YOUR street who is operating a scam. As someone local, we would like you to ...".

Might require a dedicated Darknet for comms .. ;)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:53 pm »
Yeah, you're right about the call blocking - only works if you know the number. As for the tech stuff you mention, I'm out of my depth. 

@Melissa:  It might sound a like drastic solution, but have you considered changing your number?  If you hassle your 'phone provider enough (mentioning a possible change of provider and You & Yours on Radio 4) they will probably do it cheaply. 
From a nuisance point of view, it's no worse than changing one's Email address and people do that all the time.

At the risk of exciting the Paranoid Penguin (sorry MP  ;)) I would suggest the MaskMe Premium service maskme://index.html/# at $5/month.  You get all their other services as well, such MaskMe for Email, etc.  Depends what value one puts on not being hassled. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »
Personally I don't think this is a winnable battle .. whilst governments consider corporate interests more important than an individuals rights.

The ONLY way this will change is WHEN THE PEOPLE RISE UP AND START THE REVOLU........ Oh, for heavens sake mark get real, people are currently bothered more by loosing facebook for a couple of hours than the creeping erosion of their rights.

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:21 pm »
"People" is a hell of a generalisation ... :)

You didn't mention penguins .... ;-)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:02 pm »
Which particular "people" reference do you mean ?

I didn't think penguins would like being associated with the Facebook crowd ;)
(and the last thing I want to do is upset a penguin)

[EDIT]

And if you meant penguins might want to join the revolution .. I thought it best not to mention Penguins and Revolution in the same post, so not raise any NSA flags against Tux ;)

--
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:09:04 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal