Author Topic: toshiba portege 3500  (Read 1590 times)

Offline munsky

• The Truth Is Out There !!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: toshiba portege 3500
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 11:51:36 am »
yeah i have just downloaded bhodi again to double check it was that one , but im all now downloading the new zorin 6.2 lite to give that a whirl , i was hoping to find something a bit easier to dabble with and use as my 5 year old daughter will be drawing and stuff on it so need something a bit out of the box and not too demanding nor confusing as i would probly be bopping round house doing the house work , cooking ect while daughter plays with out screaming dad every 2 seconds  ::) lol

but thanks for all your input ill try bhodi again in a sec and see if it was that one cant seem to find the cd so had to download it again.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:04 pm »
I know it's a pain, but it would be handy to know which it worked in .. then we could try to work out what they're doing differently.

I've read that rotation worked a long time ago .. kind of Ubuntu 7.10 (or something) then it got broken .. then I can't find much online since 2009 where it was still broken in the 1.32 (trident) drivers .. they're now at 1.36 in Ubuntu based distros and I'd expect Bodhi to have the same.
(that said, it may be more of an xorg version issue than the drivers)

But yeah, let us know if Bodhi works .. then we may be able to get somewhere :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »
Have you seen this thread - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1053210
It's old, but is about the same machine...

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »
As it is for a 5 year old, have you thought to try Quimo 4 Kids?
As it is based on Ubuntu you may be able to twak it with drivers etc to work on that device.
You could also  see this article about Kid-Friendly Linux Distributions.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »
I set up a PC for my grand-daughter running Peppermint 4 initially as an experiment and it turned out to be a huge success, there's a load of great educational games available for Linux like gcompris and Tux Paint and Peppermint 4 in particular have the edutainment metapackage for children which is great and well thought out and apart from all that it's been great fun setting it up and watching her learn to use a computer, she even has her own Zilladog email address now which is designed for children, I would recommend it for your 5 year old

Good luck

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline munsky

• The Truth Is Out There !!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »
yeah ive tried bhodi again in live cd mode on tablet for some reason it looked different and didnt have rotate but only found modem driver. so im questioning myself if it was bhodi , but as you said rotate worked at one point so maybe updated versions dont have it ?

cheers for the link chemicalfan it was a good read i didnt know having it in tablet on rotate slowed it down ? i haven't noticed it in the past on xp tablet .

tried zorin that found everything but rotate so i think im going to knock the nail on the head and just have to use it as a laptop it will still have pen use so my daughter may be happy , only prob is when in tilt and turn for tablet from laptop the charger wires and stuff would be facing in between yourself and laptop/tablet . just didn't want my daughter breaking power port with leaning on charger wire.

sezo , ive tried quimo in the past i didn't think it was that much different to any other os apart from a nice wallpaper , but i found my daughter had more fun using edubuntu more as it had easier layout and stuff .

cheers all for the ideas i think i will keep looking and testing i know somewhere there is a os that isnt windows and rotates lol.

all so what popped in my head is do you think i could run wine and get rotate to work if i installed the screen software  through wine which has some kind of driver or firmware in it ? lol worth asking i know it will probly be a no

Cheers emegra i tried peppermint 3 on live cd but i gave it a quick run down and not all worked well but maybe ill get round to trying 4 next i should of made a list of all distros iv'e tried and what the full out come was , i think im starting to go round in circles lol

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 11:19:54 pm »
I seriously doubt if WINE would help .. the Windows app for rotate would have no way of hooking into X
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 08:54:29 am »
Yeah, that wouldn't work unfortunatly, as Mark has said. WINE is for running a Windows app, not Windows drivers (especially not drivers as fundamental as video drivers)

I found this: https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation
I don't know anything about this project, whether it would help?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal