Author Topic: Peppermint co-founders join QSAlpha to produce Quasar IV encrypted cipherphone  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Hey, it's all fair comment! You endorsed it with "I want one", I'm simply pointing out that to me, based on what I can (or possibly more to the point can't) see, it doesn't look "real" (!!)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:32:28 pm by Mad Penguin »
https://twitter.com/#!/Mad_Penguin_UK

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
At the end of the day, it's a smartphone .. I think I've previously made clear I have no need for one.

I've also admitted that "I want one" was a knee jerk reaction .. and was based more around the phone spec and augmented reality and my inability to NOT shout "I want one" at just about ANY gadget .. doesn't mean I buy them all, or endorse them all.

I see no endorsement .. I see a long string of "what if(s)" from both sides.

Your what if it's a rip off .. my what if it's a game changer

And I've repeatedly said, currently it's all speculation .. how's that an endorsement ?

I currently endorse my business (obviously), Linux.co.uk, and Peppermint .. nothing more ;)
(record straight ?)

--
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:44:46 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
 :)

I am genuinely interested in the Android Eco-system and what's going on, for example I'm interested in where all these guys get their "parts", it "seems" like they're a bit like mini-PC's in that they buy a motherboard with CPU, screen, radio, etc etc, and plug it all together into their own custom case. i.e. they all use Snapdragon S4's, gorilla glass screen's etc .. If this is the case then I'm wondering if there's any scope for mobe HW producers becoming like PC component makers, i.e. instead of buying a smartphone you can buy the bits you want, and a case, and stick it together yourself ..

I got ripped off last week by a website pretending to be something it wasn't, and as it turns out the credit card company doesn't provide the insurance it claims to, trading standard have less teeth and 50 year old dog, the information commissioner doesn't seem to care about identity theft and the office of fair trading don't seem to give a monkeys about the word "fair". The process has made me take more of an interest in sites designed to take money off people that may not be all that they seem ... it'll probably wear off in time ... :-)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
That's an interesting concept .. I WANT ONE .. oops there I go again ;)

The modularity of IBM PS series PC's (and the fact they threw it open) is what made the PC the winner over things like the Amiga .. at the time I thought that was a mistake .. the Amiga's custom chipsets were obviously (at the time) better performing .. but I grew to like its ability to be upgraded (and fixed). I always hoped that laptops might become more modular as being x86 yet non-modular seems a weird combination.

That would IMHO be a great idea .. except maybe the size constraints of a smartphone would make this hard to do (and still end up with cases that are small and sleek).

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
If all parts were a standard size, and case sizes were standardized like PC cases, it could work ...
(obviously standardized to mobile sizes, not PC sizes ... :) )

I had an Amiga for a while .. liked it but had to give it up .. couldn't get more than an hour's use between "Gurn Meditations" ..
Maybe I was abusing it .. that and I didn't really get on with EMACS .. :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Hehehe .. "Guru Meditation" made me laugh like an idiot the first time I saw it.

Let me guess A500 ?

The A1200 (AGA chipset and later version of Workbench) was MUCH better .. and IMHO one of the best PC's ever made (probably a serious case of rose coloured spectacle here).

--
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:02:47 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Mmm, too long ago .. this would've been 1987 .. my memory's not so good that far back ... there's a few years of beer between then and now .. :)

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
If all parts were a standard size, and case sizes were standardized like PC cases, it could work ...
(obviously standardized to mobile sizes, not PC sizes ... :) )

That is where 3d printing comes in. ;)

Offline Degsy

• I am getting there, but it is very slow going!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Very interesting though most of this goes straight over my head, I am one of the old breed who uses a camera to take pics and a mobile for phone and text.

Online Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Very interesting though most of this goes straight over my head, I am one of the old breed who uses a camera to take pics and a mobile for phone and text.

Well put that makes 2 of us :)

Graeme
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

Offline Degsy

• I am getting there, but it is very slow going!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Glad to hear that, I thought I was alone in this high tech world.

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Incidentally, if anyone's still interested in AmigaOS, you can get a copy if Icaros here;
http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/

(this is an OS version of AmigaoS 3.1 which is distributed as a machine image, so you can run it up in QEMU ... )

:)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
I might take a look at that .. that Amibridge sounds interesting .. if it works.

I tried AROS ages ago, and wasn't overly impressed, but seems they may have come on some since then :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal