Author Topic: VNC ish question on multiple logins  (Read 509 times)

Offline LOFer

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
VNC ish question on multiple logins
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:55:23 am »
Hello all,

I wonder if you could help/point me in the right direction on this?

I have a simple little Ubuntu box (12.04 currently) with the standard GUI desktop and what I wanted to be able to do was have it available on my network but allow different users to access it using something like VNC, but each time being presented with a GUI log in and their own desktop space so they can work on their own projects etc.

I remember back in the day doing something similar on SCO OpenServer (yeah, waaaay back in the day!) but it's only now that this has come up. I usually use the box for simple php programming and the like but am just intrigued if my Desktop can run it or if I need a Server install with some extra bits and, what those extra bits might be?

I am not sure how to phrase what I am looking for succinctly so I'm sorry if this sounds a long winded question...

Thanks in advance

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: VNC ish question on multiple logins
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:18:32 pm »
Hi LOFer, and welcome to the forum :)

What are the other "client" OS's ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline LOFer

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:58 pm »
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the welcome :)

They are all Windows 7. Maybe I dreamt it but I thought there was a web desktop vnc type thing available? Problem is I don't know the name of the "scenario" I am looking at or if it is even possible. I don't want the whole login to a shell the start x window service because we are talking 11-12 year old kids and I wanted to introduce them straight to a GUI so they felt more at "home" and they might want Linux at home ;)

They are a mix of wifi and cable-connected pc's.

Sorry I forgot that client OS detail in my initial question.

The

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »
Maybe looking at this article might help you.
Multiseat X refers to a single machine that supports multiple concurrent users each with their own set of keyboards, mice, and monitors providing a traditional desktop experience to each user.

Or you could try xRDP
The goal of this project is to provide a fully functional Linux terminal server, capable of accepting connections from rdesktop, freerdp, and Microsoft's own terminal server / remote desktop clients.

and connect to Ubuntu 12.04 from Windows 7 via Remote Desktop Connection

Offline LOFer

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 07:46:27 am »
Thanks SeZo :)

Offline Mad Penguin

• #Mad_Penguin_UK
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 04:26:08 pm »
You have a few options, the first, if you only need either one or two users is;
http://nomachine.com

I'm not sure how licensing works on V4, but they still have a free version (albeit for a limited number of users) and if the license works re; your requirements then it's hands-down the best solution.

Next to that you have either raw X or VNC. The latter is the most efficient, but if you have a local network connection, you will find that raw X is a much better / smoother solution, albeit it'll make more use of your network .. (!)

You'll find lots of documentation on the web for raw X, the only 'real' issues you'll have getting it going are security. Typically you'll want something like this;
a. Make sure you uncomment "ForwardX11 yes" and "ForwardX11Trusted yes" in /etc/ssh/ssh_config
b. type "xhost +"
c. type "ssh <user>@<remotehost>
d. type (this will be on <remotehost>) "gnome-terminal" (or a.n.other gui application)

You can have the server present a network login, but that gets a little more complex, you have to deal with something called XDMCP which is a little different for every window manager - documentation for this can be found on the LTSP site.
https://twitter.com/#!/Mad_Penguin_UK

Offline LOFer

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 06:22:26 pm »
Thanks Mad Penguin :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal