isohunt to close down soon, according to the BBC
And this, from a Russian forum... (a dystopian vision)
2018 year, usual flat in Moscow.
- Dad, may I charge 1000$ from your credit card?
I need money to pay for the book.
- What`s book?
- "Crime and punishment" by Dostoevsky.
- What for? We have this book.
- Yeah? In which computer file?
- Not in file. On bookshelf.
- It's a paper book?
- So what? I readed this, then was same age as you.
- I can`t do text searching. I can`t even change size of font.
There is not animated images and soundtrack. Only pure text.
Are you serious? My friends from school will ridicule me!
- Okay. Then take this DVD. I bought this 15 years ago.
- It`s trash. I don`t have any device to read this DVD.
What`s next, punch cards?
- If you such egghead, then download the book from the Internet for free.
- Download a book for free !?
- Yes, it is in public domain, because the author died many years ago.
- Dad, are you crazy? Maybe in times of your youth was such thing as "public domain", but not in nowdays.
Now copyright on all books in "public domain" was transfered to American Association of Book Publishers in perpetuity.
Do you want I was jailed as follower of Dmitry Sklyarov(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitry_Sklyarov) and sentenced
to life imprisonment?
- But Dostoevsky not American!
- Nobody cares. Are you antiglobalist?
- Of course not! Oh, miserable give 1000$ for just computer file. How about your friends from school? Maybe somebody let you make copy from own file?
- Then I would not able to read this copy.
- Because you can read a book only on the computer, from that you bought the book.
Enough of stupid talks, give me bucks and I will buy the normal book.
- Ok. In time of my youth it was a lot of money. Take one-time password to withdraw 1000$ from my account.
- Thx. I downloaded the book.
- Sonny, what`s this? "Modern laser-shaped axes", "Crisis center "Porfiry", "RASKOLNIKOFF.COM: Calling playful old women".
- Banner ad. Without banners the book cost 6999$. Only with special eyeglasses you will be able to read book. Without eyeglasses you will be see only ads. Every e-book linked to personal eyeglasses of owner of book. Only the owner can use the eyeglasses. It have built-in retina scanner. Any questions?
- But why??
- Just imagine how it would be unfair! I paid for this book a ton of bucks and anyone can read it for free, just looking over my shoulder!
- Please stop. I have to read this book right now. After 3 hours the book will self-destruct.
** Three hours later **
- Phew, I finished the book.
- How, the entire "Crime and punishment" in just three hours?!
- I could finish faster. But I was slowed down by frequent interruptions for advertising.
- I don`t belive! Who is Sonia Marmeladova? Who is Luzhin?
- How can I know? It is "Home Edition". It says only about Raskolnikov. For all other characters you must buy "Professional Edition" or even "Enterprise Edition". We don`t have so much money.
- The world has gone mad!