Author Topic: MakuluLinux 4.0 XFCE Released !  (Read 5999 times)

Offline raymerjacque

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: MakuluLinux 4.0 XFCE Released !
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
I thought the linux world was meant to be a friendly bunch of guys sharing ideas, trying out new things and pushing everything to the limits ... but it seems it can be a vicious place when a few closed minded individuals who live in the dark ages are not happy with anything that isnt made their way ...

The ONLY people that seem so opinionated and are DEAD set against ripping Makulu apart are the ones that havnt tried it, everyone else has delivered good or fair comments, and frankly seeing the attitude that these guys have, i would rather prefer you dont use MakuluLinux at all, i would rather people who would enjoy it use it.

here is a little video that ive gone out of my way to make so you can actualy see makululinux running ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogksyrlrf8w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogksyrlrf8w</a>

and here is a little video made by a user :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaLp5Kv2MQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaLp5Kv2MQ</a>
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:12:55 pm by raymerjacque »

Offline Toonman

• Freeing the World form the Microsoft scurge!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 06:24:37 pm »
This has to be one of the most uncomfortable threads I have ever read here.

Any chance of a make up?      ;)
Life is for living.  RIP Keith Floyd.   ;)

Offline raymerjacque

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 06:28:15 pm »
lol, i was never upset, just fighting for my right to exist here like everyone else does, even if my distro offends some people.

Offline salparadise

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:00 pm »
Love to you all.
Really.

But it matters. It matters today. There will be no day when someone appears and says "ok, now it's for real" because it's for real here and now. The Corporations prowl about us today, they encroach today, they're winning today. Warriors are needed today.

And if I've offended you, I am sorry, that was not my intention.

Ultimately, truth matters more than feelings and the truth is that this is a battle and the enemy is winning and I can't help but care.

Sometimes truth is as sand in the vaseline.
Be silent, or say something better than silence.

Offline raymerjacque

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »
Nothing can put me in a bad mood this week, nothing.  I have over 6000 downloads in less than a week, Makulu is ranked 6th of the 7 days rankings on distrowatch above some major well known distrobutions ( even getting onto distrowatch in the first place made this release worth it, ive been trying for almost a year to get on ). I just bought my dream car last night, so yea, im flying high right now... :)

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:51:06 pm by raymerjacque »

Offline banko

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 02:41:42 pm »
I'm with toonman on this, it really is negative and uncomfortable to read,

I've just downloaded the iso and if I'm up to installing the os, I will give it a go and report back.

there is a load of people out there who are more confident of leaving windows, now they're used to using android and all the tablets around, so this sort of os looks to me as a good halfway house.

Lets just agree to differ sometimes ;)

Keith

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »
What's with the over sensitivity ? .. he asked for critique .. then dismissed it as not worthy of his attention, which is his right.

It's one thing to ask for feedback, but quite another to state you refuse to listen to people unless they install .. that just comes across as aloof at best, threatening at worst.

Incidentally I was fully behind him until that point .. he stood behind that position .. end of story.

--
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:05:08 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline raymerjacque

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »
I dont understand, i made my goals clear, my Distro is aimed at lazy people, its easy to use, lightning fast, comes preloaded with everyday software.

Not only did it get ripped apart for those very things, it got ripped apart by people that did not even bother to try it, and i must listen to them ?

I had a Russian guy email me last night, he pointed out some stuff he liked and some he didnt, and he has been running it for days, Him i take seriously, but i refuse to take someone seriously that has never even run it because frankly they have no clue what they are talking about.

At this very moment my distro has almost topped the charts on distrowatch 7 days rankings ( http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1 ), leap frogged and climbed all the way to number 4, right behind Mint, debian and Ubuntu. Search google, I found so many sites reviewing it giving it a 5 star rating, everywhere i look i see positive ratings and great comment, and then here of all places this happens ... So i ask again, did it atleast not deserve to be tried before it was ripped so badly ? how can the rest of the world love it so much, and then 2 guys on here ( who has never tried it ) give such ugly comments on it and you expect me to take them seriously and somehow im the bad guy ??

I do not think i was out of line, I work on gaming projects as well and i get this kind of behavior from little kids all the time, hence i recognize it so quickly.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:28:34 pm by raymerjacque »

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »
Looking back on this thread I don't think anyone has ripped your Distro apart, the biggest criticism I see has been the proprietary software installed as default which some people (especially on a forum such as this) have strong views about and in some cases may even prevent them from trying your Distro out of principle but surely that doesn't exclude them from forming an opinion on that aspect of it and that's really the only criticism I've seen other than my own point regarding the installer but that was only an opinion.

I have installed Makula on a second HDD and I'm having some problems which is most probably problems of my own making, but once I sort these things out I will try to give a fair appraisal but I'm just an average PC user so my opinion won't count for much anyway.

Like Toonman I feel this has become an uncomfortable thread perhaps it would be a good idea to delete it completely and start again I don't know

Graeme

If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »
So far, the OP has managed only to p*ss me off, and that's not easy .. I was fully behind his project at first, but now anyone that doesn't do as he asks (and install his distro) is not only dismissed as not worthy of an opinion, but is called a "kid"

I understand not taking criticism on technical merit from people that haven't tried it makes perfect sense .. neither I or anyone else attempted to do that .. but to dismiss people who are talking in general terms about Linux or good practice as "kids" is nuts, particularly so as a promotion technique

I'm not removing this topic .. I think people should see that, and draw their own conclusions

If you want it removed .. ask MP.

7 day Distrowatch rankings mean nothing .. any new distro goes flying up, as does every new release of of established distro's .. think about it.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:59 pm »
If you want it removed .. ask MP.

I didn't say I wanted to remove it, that would be pointless anyway it was just a comment expressing the unfortunate course the conversation took that's all
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 10:12:15 pm »
That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular .. more as a general expression of my feelings on the matter ;)

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »
I've been trying out Makulu but I've ran into some issues mainly regarding permissions & installing software & printers so I'm struggling to give it a fair try, these issues may well be of my own making but if it is I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong so I've made a wee video to demonstrate my problems

http://videobin.org/+70u/8xp.html

Many thanks

Graeme

Offline salparadise

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 08:01:49 am »
I cannot apologise for saying what I said, because I think I'm right and you're wrong.
I won't insult you for your views though, you're entitled to believe whatever you want.
History will be the judge of us all.

But understand that it's nothing to do with technical reasons that I refuse to try your distro out. It's about philosophy and integrity.
I spent many years installing proprietary code and feeling faintly dirty and compromised and wishing there was a better way and it was only when I decided to just not install it at all that I discovered two things - that I didn't have to feel dirty and compromised and that the freedom I was looking for only comes with refusing to use such code at all. If you think it's OK to go along with such Corporate behaviour, that's your call. I don't agree and will tell you so. If you can't take that without resorting to bad behaviour then you have failed, not I.
The success of distros like Mint show that there's no shortage of people who either don't care or, more likely, don't understand that they're being misled. Blind guides leading them into a ditch, to quote an old saying. It's a tragedy because if everyone who used GNU/Linux had refused to use flash and other closed source blobs, we'd be a great deal further down the road to a better place. As it is, we're closer now to Linux being consumed by the Corporations than ever before. And make no mistake - the OpenSource mindset is detested by the Corporate sector. It is opposed in every way to their view of the world and their view is that everyone must accept their place as a dumb consumer and forget any ideas they might have about sharing or community. We are not customers, we are people. This is not a market place, this is a neighbourhood.

To regular posters/readers, I'm sorry if my stance has soured this forum somewhat. I've become used to it by now - if you take a stand people object and things get heated. Usually this is because it challenges their compromise, though I'm aware that I'm not as graceful as I'd like to be, which probably doesn't help. We can only be who we are. If it's any consolation, I'd say the same to anyone who posted a new release of yet another compromised distro here.
Be silent, or say something better than silence.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 04:33:14 pm »
Oddly enough I also feel dirty using proprietery software and yet only a few years ago it didn't bother me because I didn't even know what it was or what it meant,and it didn't seem make any difference to my life anyway, I was blissfully ignorant.

It's only since migrating to Linux that I started to think about and understand the concept of sofware licensing in other words I didn't move over to Linux because I believe in free software I believe in free software because I moved over to Linux.

So being hard core and Stallmanist about any Linux distrubution as commendable as it is may well be self defeating in the long term, So my point is and I have only my own personal experience to go by but by encouraging people to convert to Linux first may encourage them to think about software licensing afterwards because it seems to me most people don't care about software licensing not because they're uncaring or stupid but because they don't understand what it's about, they only want their computers to work and nothing compels them to understand so if a few proprietery applications in a Linux distrubution can get people on the Linux bandwagon we may have a better chance of educating them from there.

I'm kinda playing devils advocate here because sometimes my own views on this subject swing one way or the other but it's not meant to be argumentative it's just my own view based on my own experience   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 04:48:47 pm by Emegra »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal