Author Topic: Starting bumblebeed on boot/login  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Starting bumblebeed on boot/login
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 02:45:21 pm »
Ever considered getting your own PPA, downloading the source from the Bumblebee PPA, modifying the conf file, then uploading it to be built as a precompiled package in your PPA .. you could then offer it to others.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:54 pm »
...in a word, no. I mean I could, but it wouldn't solve the issue as my PPA would have to compile and hold a new version at the same time as the bumblebee repo.

I guess I could write a script to update the package info, then if there is a new version of bumblebee - install it, then overwrite the config file (or at least, use sed to change the lines affected). Or I guess I could just keep my eyes open for the bumblebee package during an apt-get upgrade, and then run a 1 line sed script to update it. With bash, it should be possible to test for distro name (inxi?), and if it's Mint, then execute the sed script. I might play with this if I get time, then fire it at the bumblebee devs/maintainers. It seems like the sort of thing that could form part of the package install

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 02:52:51 am »
Personally I'd have though the Mint devs would either fix why the Ubuntu version doesn't work in Mint .. or maintain their own version, I mean it'd be easy to do.

I suppose it *could* be scripted, but it wouldn't be easy .. launchpad doesn't allow you to upload pre-compiled packages .. you have to upload the modified source code, launchpad then compiles and builds the .deb package on their servers.

So say you set up a Mint/Bumblebee PPA .. every time there was an update to the Ubuntu/Bumblebee PPA, you'd have to download the source, modify it, and reupload it (with an incremented version number/name) for building .. not a hard job, few minutes .. but it's more about maintenance/ keeping it up to date(ish)
(doesn't have to be an instant thing as the old version will keep working until you get round to it.

All pretty easy once you've done it once .. it's a pretty good system when you think about it, it makes sure ALL packages have been built against the kernel/Ubuntu version they're intended for .. kinda keeps the maintainer on his toes :)

--
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 02:59:21 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 09:43:49 am »
What were you doing up at 3am??  :P

I didn't mean a script to create a PPA, I was talking about a local script. Pseudocode:
Code: [Select]
if apt-get version check installed < apt-get version check current repo:
    apt-get install bumblebee && sed -i ".;.',;',blah.;;" /etc/init/bumblebeed.conf (to change the text on the relevant lines of bumblebeed.conf)

From a package maintainer view, instead of that if statement, I'd envisage something like:
Code: [Select]
if inxi | grep "Mint":
    post-install......sed -i ".;.',;',blah.;;" /etc/init/bumblebeed.conf
As part of the post-installation/unpacking script (not too sure of how packaging and apt work though)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »
What were you doing up at 3am??

Trying to figure out how to put music onto my sons music player  :o

What is it with Apple .. it should be easy to put music onto an iPod touch, instead it's only easy if you buy the music from them .. why the $%^ do people buy these things ??

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 02:26:51 pm »
why the $%^ do people buy these things ??

Because they're cool  ;D
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal