Author Topic: Toshiba Equium L40-17M -touchpad erratic/resetting  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Toshiba Equium L40-17M -touchpad erratic/resetting
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:49:56 pm »
Are there any BIOS settings to do with USB ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline daveinuk

• Linux user of a few years, based in Manchester :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 12:44:54 am »
Hi Mark,

Yes, Legacy USB support is enabled, that's the only reference to anything USB I can find in the bios......

I've left the laptop on all evening with the mouse in, was fine when I just checked ten minutes ago but after rebooting it's a bit jittery on the TP but again the mouse is fine....... odd  . . . . .  ::)
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16 & 15 (different HDDs) Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.6/1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16 MATE: Desktop:LM16 Cinnamon Intel 3.2ghz processor, 8gb RAM. Linux Registered User #562462

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:45 pm »

Offline daveinuk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »
Hi Mark,

I had 'enable mouse clicks with touchpad' disabled already, I assume that's the same thing/different lingo, I've tried turning off edge scrolling and adjusting the pointer speed, all make no difference. I read through that thread from start to finish and it's kinda good to know I'm not alone with this insomuch as at least I can possibly discount it being a hardware problem and more of a software problem. I'm wondering if it may make a difference to try some of the other synaptics software I saw in package manager, I toyed with the idea of adding  another DE but I logged out of cinnamon and logged back in with the gnome desktop and gnome/no effects, and no change, so maybe for the sake of trying, I'll have a look in package manager and see what software options there are. Just giving up and buying his daughter a mouse so she can get on facebook seems like a cop out at the moment . . . . . . .
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16 & 15 (different HDDs) Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.6/1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16 MATE: Desktop:LM16 Cinnamon Intel 3.2ghz processor, 8gb RAM. Linux Registered User #562462

Offline daveinuk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »
Just found this video on youtube, it does exactly what this laptop does, my mates gone through about 4 chargers for this laptop apparently, it appears that is where the problem is stemming from . . . . but if anyone knows different please chip in  ;)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 06:05:55 pm »
You're kiddin me right ?

So the touchpad works if you unplug it from the mains ? .. or if you touch the laptop elsewhere ?

If so, that sounds like some weird earthing/interference issue .. but definitely hardware.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:08:40 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline daveinuk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:32 pm »
Basically yeah, that's what I was trying to get across, with my friends laptop, it goes - put it on lap, it works, put it on table/bed/anything else when your palm isn't resting on it, it goes to pot . . . . . .  I've gathered this is like the guy says, a grounding issue of some sort, the power cable's been fixed in place with tape and the battery's rubbish and doesn't hold a charge so it's probably not worth spending a fortune on it to fix all of that. I think I'll have to show him that video and just explain what's what, and I'l give him a mouse just in case it's  having a really bad day!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 09:53:43 pm »
I doubt if there's much else you can do .. certainly not in software.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal