Author Topic: New to Linux  (Read 2442 times)

Offline awolfp

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New to Linux
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
The people i know who are starting to jump out of the xp sinking boat, have found zorin-os, to be a easy transfer to linux, and were amazed how the face of Zorin to take on a xp look or a win 7 look.

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:28 pm »
This claim that Zorin is more friendly for Windows users annoys the hell outa me. Besides a theme, how is it more user friendly than say Mint Cinnamon or Peppermint ?

Maybe by comparison to Gnome Shell or Unity .. but not every distro uses those.  :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:41:22 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'

logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 09:29:16 pm »
This claim that Zorin is more friendly for Windows users annoys the hell outa me. Besides a theme, how is it more user friendly than say Mint Cinnamon or Peppermint ?

Yeah I have to agree with that, the way I see it and I'm not trying to knock Zorin is that Zorin because it can be made to look so much like Windows XP or Windows 7 will always be directly compared to them and seen as a knock off and therefor never as good wheras a DE with a different look and feel like Gnome KDE or Unity would be more likely to be accepted for what they are and judged on their own merits or weaknesses

lets face it Gnome, KDE Unity LXDE they're all user friendly in there own way they're just different Linux is not Windows and thank god for it

In fact I've introduced Linux to a few people and when I install it I always place the panel at the top of the screen for them not because I think they would prefer it there but because I don't want it to look like Windows I want them to know they're using a different operating system

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:45:49 pm by Emegra »
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:47 pm »
In fact I've introduced Linux to a few people and when I install it I always place the panel at the top of the screen for them not because I think they would prefer it there but because I don't want it to look like Windows I want them to know they're using a different operating system

I like it :)

[EDIT]

I'm not so much bothered that Zorin choose to look like Windows, that's fine, I'm more bothered that people are being made to believe Zorin will ease the Windows --> Linux transition somehow "better" than other distros/DE's

At best it doesn't make sense, and at worst it's intentionally misleading.

There's nothing wrong with Zorin, and if you choose to use it because you like it, more power to you .. but don't fall for the "it will ease the transition" rubbish

Linux is not Windows .. Zorin is Linux .. Zorin is not Windows .. Simplez ;)

Zorin will neither ease or hinder the transition from Windows .. it will behave as Linux, not as Windows .. the rest is just a skin.

But I seriously don't understand why anyone would WANT Linux to look like Windows in the first place  :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:05:36 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:59:05 am »
For all it's shortcomings, Windows 8 is nice to look at. I mean, it's a bit of a productivity nightmare and way radical (but you could argue the same about Ubuntu, the "flagship" desktop Linux DE), but you can't deny that it's very fresh looking, and "convergent".

/devil's advocate

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:38 am »
For all it's shortcomings, Windows 8 is nice to look at

Are you fu@..ng serious :)
If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, then you're not quite grasping the situation

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 10:36:19 am »
For all it's shortcomings, Windows 8 is nice to look at. I mean, it's a bit of a productivity nightmare and way radical (but you could argue the same about Ubuntu, the "flagship" desktop Linux DE), but you can't deny that it's very fresh looking, and "convergent".

/devil's advocate

Devils rent boy more like ;)

Besides which, Nicole Scherzinger is nice to look at but I wouldn't want to do my computing on her .. on second thoughts, I'm willing to "take on for the team", purely for research you understand.

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 11:33:56 am »
Devils rent boy more like ;)

Besides which, Nicole Scherzinger is nice to look at but I wouldn't want to do my computing on her .. on second thoughts, I'm willing to "take on for the team", purely for research you understand.

I'll have you know that I don't get paid a penny by Microsoft....still get the shafting though.

Also, you hero!  :P

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:28:00 pm »
Hehehe :)

Offline Tramlink

• Is the mist clearing
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:03 am »
Now now people we have a new person who wants to switch to Linux so lets not get into a debate over what is best but help the person to make informed choices.

Weather we like it or not people may have paid a lot of money for windows compatible software and may want to be able to continue to use it.

Having access to win office was the only way I could get my wife to accept a switch to Linux.

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »
Having access to win office was the only way I could get my wife to accept a switch to Linux.

Really???  You should've just told her to like it or lump it, like I did.....................  doc says I might be discharged from the hospital in a month or so........................... ;D

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:39 pm »

Offline antioch

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »
Now now people we have a new person who wants to switch to Linux so lets not get into a debate over what is best but help the person to make informed choices.

Hi Tramlink - I have no problem with debate - hijacking a thread by another with their own problem is far more annoying.

I have read through all posts here and some others - my main concern is getting the correct order in which to do this.
I dont think I mentioned that although my HD is 500MB, I have just on 90% free space.  Its the other memory that I may need to be concerned with.

Also as additional info - my ISP is Virgin Media curently 60Mb but runs between 45-50 application speed.  No probs there.
I will be moving from my email client, Win Live Mail, to Mozilla.  I am yet to have it confirmed if exporting messages and contacts is a problem or not.  Configuring should not be a problem.  Also I will probably move to their Firefox instead of MS IE
I understand that Linux comes with a firewall? - but I will need an AV - Bit defender is my choice - free of course.
As for which/what OS, I think to start then Peppermint! - the less strong mint then? - sold by the salesman.

I did a dual boot some years back - Windows NT with XP - it did not work too well and I am totally uninformed how this will work.
When I load the OS from disc[my preference] will it appear as another disc like Local Disc 'D'?  What and when does one do at switch on of the PC?

What can and cannot be disabled in Windows- if FS might have a compatibility problem, then part of Windows needs to stay, but which part.
Mark G mentions 'partition' as well as dual boot?

Enough for now I think.
When I first joined MS newsgroups many moons ago, my signature was 'you cant educate pork' so please treat me accordingly.

Antioch

Offline Emegra

• Devilishly Handsome
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
Hi Tramlink - I have no problem with debate - hijacking a thread by another with their own problem is far more annoying.

Can you be more specific ?

I have read through all posts here and some others - my main concern is getting the correct order in which to do this.

That will depend on what exactly you want to do ie do you want to install Linux on it's own or do you want to dual boot alongside Windows ?

I dont think I mentioned that although my HD is 500MB, I have just on 90% free space.  Its the other memory that I may need to be concerned with.

Dont you mean 500GB if so then you have approx 450GB spare which is more than enough to install any OS, If by "other memory" you mean ram can you tell us how much you have installed?

Also I will probably move to their Firefox instead of MS IE

You will have to move to Firefox or some other web browser MS IE is not an option in Linux

I understand that Linux comes with a firewall? - but I will need an AV - Bit defender is my choice - free of course.

There is a firewall available in Linux but if your behind a NAT router it's really not necessary, Anti Virus is also not necessary for normal desktop use unless your serving Windows PC's

As for which/what OS, I think to start then Peppermint! - the less strong mint then? - sold by the salesman.

Good choice :)

I did a dual boot some years back - Windows NT with XP - it did not work too well and I am totally uninformed how this will work.

Dual booting is made very easy with the linux installer but some preparation will be necessary such as backing up any important files, defragmenting your windows partition is also advised

When I load the OS from disc[my preference] will it appear as another disc like Local Disc 'D'?  What and when does one do at switch on of the PC?

Linux doesn't use the lettering convention such as C:/ & D:/ but when you boot into your live CD you will be presented with the Linux desktop but your Windows partition will be visible in the File Manager, there will also be an "Install" icon on the desktop to use when you're ready to install, during the installation process you'll be given the option to install alongside Windows if that's what you want to do

What can and cannot be disabled in Windows- if FS might have a compatibility problem, then part of Windows needs to stay, but which part.
Mark G mentions 'partition' as well as dual boot?

If you decide to dual boot nothing has to be disabled in Windows, your Windows partition will remain untouched.

So at this stage your next step would be to boot into the live CD and connect to the internet and report back here for further advice

Good luck

Graeme
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:27:13 am by Emegra »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »
What he said :)

You will NOT require a Firewall, if you're behind a NAT router .. you will NOT require AV unless you're using Linux as a server and are serving fles to Windows clients .. where you may want to scan those files for Windows viruses before serving them.
If this is a desktop PC, you do not need AV.

As Emegra said setting up a dual boot system is made VERY easy by the Peppermint installer .. but best bet is to bgive us a shout when you're ready to install.

email -

Though I've never done this, it appears there's an extension for Thunderbird that will import the WLM mail .. it's discussed here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=647703
You might want to install Thunderbird in Windows and test the procedure out whilst you wait for Peppermint 5

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal