Author Topic: Possible move to Linux  (Read 2271 times)

Offline AlisonWM

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Possible move to Linux
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »
But which one?

Hi all,

I'm planning a move to some form of Linux from Whinedoze 10 which is driving me nuts. I have a three year old Asus K55a laptop with 1.7Ghz Intel Celeron processor, 6Gb RAM and 1 terrabyte HD, more than enough as far as I can tell. But which Linux would work best? I'm guessing it's Ubuntu?

I have some concerns, not least of which is Microsh***e's latest wheeze of preventing people from loading Linux, I don't think that will be a problem with my old girl (I hope) but would be grateful is someone could confirm that. My only other worry is whether software, such as PaintShopPro will still work? I've been using OpenOffice and LibreOffice for years and have been a fan of Mozilla since their early days so don't anticipate any difficulties with Firefox/Thunderbird.

Grateful for any advice.

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Possible move to Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:31:12 pm »
Hi AlisonWM, and welcome to the forum :)

No, PaintShopPro (and other Windows software) will not run natively in Linux .. you could run it in a Windows virtual machine, but then you're back to running Windows again.

The best solution would be to switch to GIMP .. you can try it in Windows if you wish:
https://www.gimp.org/
It's every bit as powerful (maybe more so) than PSP, but there is a learning curve.

As for whether Linux will work on the K55a, I'd assume so, but gimme a while and I'll check what I can find out.

[EDIT]

My personal Preference for a distro (in order)

1) Peppermint
2) Mint Cinnamon
3) Ubuntu MATE
4) Mint Xfce

I must add, I am on the Peppermint team so read into that what you will, but any of the above are good choices.

[EDIT 2]

I can find no reported issues with K55a models besides someone having to disable secureboot (you should probably do this anyway)

In fact Linlap suggests all hardware works with the exception of the card reader .. which:-
a) there were workarounds for
and
b) may already be fixed in the recent kernel anyway (the reports when it wasn't working were a few years ago)

http://www.linlap.com/asus_k55a

In any case you can check all the hardware works in a "Live" session BEFORE installing ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:50:41 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline AlisonWM

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:19:46 pm »
Thanks Mark, that gives me a good starting point. I have used GIMP on Whinedoze occasionally but went back to PSP because I've been using it since the year dot and I'm used to it. The only thing holding me back from installing Peppermint is that I'm not madly in love with The Cloud, but I'm thinking about it. It's tough given that there are so many variations on Linux available, choosing the best one for me is clearly going to take time. Mnt Cinnamon (what a horrible combination!) looks like a goer.

I use MiFi all the time so making sure it still works is a key point and, while I'm pretty confident of being able to fix any issues that crop up, I want to minimise those as far as I can. Getting the card reader working is a minor point, I tend to use USB sticks because I'm always losing the wee divvils (cards I mean).

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 11:42:14 pm »
I think you are misunderstanding Peppermint...

Peppermint is NOT about the cloud .. it is a FULLY functional Linux distribution, on which you can install ANY application locally that you can in Mint or Ubuntu .. in fact it uses the same software repositories.

The ONLY thing "cloud" about Peppermint is you can CHOOSE whether you want to use web apps or local apps, or any mixture of the two .. it just puts them on an equal footing, but only where you choose.

Peppermint is about CHOICE, not limitation ;)

Want LibreOffice & GIMP (local apps) ? .. Fine, you can install them in Peppermint.

Want Pixlr & Google Docs (web apps) to run in their own window and be in the menu .. Fine, you can do that too

Or any mixture of the two .. Peppermint is ONLY as "cloud based" as YOU choose.

Now if you prefer Mint or Ubuntu for any other reason, great .. they are terrific distros.

But don't discount Peppermint because you mistakenly think it's a somehow limited "cloud" distro that ties you to the web .. it isn't :)

Peppermint is "cloud enabled" or "cloud capable", NOT "cloud limited".
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:03:05 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 08:48:46 am »
It's tough given that there are so many variations on Linux available, choosing the best one for me is clearly going to take time./quote]

Hi!  And welcome to the forums!

Try to see this as a positive.  Linux is 'yours' in a way that Windows can never be.  You never 'own' Windows, only 'rent' it (pay for a licence to use it) and you have to renew that licence every time a new version comes out.  Plus, you have to accept that whatever the MS developers decide you will have, you will have! No choice.

With Linux you are free to do with it what you will and tailor it to your own, particular, requirements.  This is the reason why there 'seem' to be so many Linux distributions - someone will take a distro as a starting point, add to it, tweak it, strip out stuff they don't need then 'put it out there' for others to use. You can install it on any (usually most) machines that will take it and pass it on to whoever you want without fear of prosecution!  In reality, most Linux users become developers of a sort without even realising they are doing it, merely by adding a different version of, say, a photo manipulating package or even changing their browser. 

Linux isn't one thing, it's many, because it is constantly evolving, refining and moving forwards. It is a fast, secure and dynamic system with built-in security that Windows can only dream of.   Glitches (there will be some!) can be overcome swiftly by posting a request for help and following the instructions given - usually a simple matter of copy/pasting into a command line window.

As a starting point, go for a mainstream distro as per Mark's recommendation.  Try it out first on a USB stick, or via dual-booting, or on a redundant machine, if you have one.  Once you get the hang of it - it won't take long - then you too will see it for the remarkable system that it is!

Rich

BTW - I'm no expert on Linux nor have any connection to any system or development!  I'm just a 'bog-standard' computer user that switched from Windows about 5 years ago and have never regretted it.

Offline AlisonWM

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:31:54 pm »
Thanks folks. I'll be going the USB stick route and using both OS' until I find my way around whatever Linux I choose (the cloud point has been taken on board), and find suitable replacements for the few Whinedoze based programmes I actually like and use a lot.

Offline Sim

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:30:35 pm »
Another vote for peppermint from me - but what is this "cloud" of which you speak? ;D

I don't have anything in the cloud - nada, zilch, zero... etc., ( Internet  in the sticks is too slow for such modern concepts )

the thing we love about Peppermint is the fact that the whole thing is completely customizable to your preferences - we've been running it for a good while now - Linux for even longer - NEVER going back to microbrain/micro$oft and the other more offensive "names" for Mr gates' rubbish  :P

Offline AlisonWM

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 11:58:09 am »
After much soul searching and reading many, many tech reviews I've chosen Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) MATE. Now I need to dig out the DVDs or get a new USB stick to put it on so I can play about a bit before I jump in.

Anyone able to recommend a decent TTS for Linux? I can't read and weave at the same time.

Offline arochester

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:38:44 pm »
Read what ?
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal