Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]
if you would like to discuss the following role:
Senior Linux Software Engineer (home based)
An exciting opportunity for a senior Linux software engineer to work for a leading provider in Thin and Zero Clients for the latest virtual desktops and cloud computing desktop and application delivery solutions, with a global client base. This is a fully home based role (UK).
The senior Linux software engineer will have knowledge of the Linux operating system as follows:
1. Able to write shell scripts in sh, csh, or bash.
2. Able to use Linux based tools such as editors, compilers, graphical development utilities.
3. Understanding of the structure of the Linux operating system.
4. Able to configure and build Linux kernel from source.
5. Able to build Linux kernel modules and drivers.
6. Able to integrate third party Linux drivers and utilities.
7. Understanding of the X11 graphical subsystem.
Candidate will be able to develop graphical interfaces and other custom utilities as follows:
1. Familiarity with at least one source control package.
3. Have used at least one graphical development tool under Linux, preferably Qt.
About this person
The individual must demonstrate a drive and enthusiasm in embedded thin client operating systems designed to support x86 based endpoints, such as PC's and Laptops for VDI and Server or Cloud Based End User Computing.
The candidate will work as part of the existing R&D team which is distributed across the USA and Europe. The role will be project lead based and the individual will be responsible for expanding our client's latest Linux based operating system. This is designed primarily to work on Thin Clients and then to be expanded for additional support on PC's, Laptops and 3rd party Thin Clients. There is flexibility in the role location with support for working from home, office based or a combination of both and whichever is best suited for the individual.
Duties and Tasks
Candidate will work as the project lead for migrating an existing linux build distribution (32-bit) designed to support Desktop PC's and Laptops and merge into our latest 64-bit linux build distribution.
Build/maintain/debug Linux kernel firmware and supporting infrastructure.
1. Migrate existing x86 32-bit project to 64-bit.
2. Manage integration of required x86 hardware, including driver/kernel support.
3. Document and release Linux firmware builds to support.
4. Work with support & R&D group to debug and fix bugs.
5. Evaluate competitors' products and related technology.
6. Serve as a technical resource to both the team and management.
Specific Knowledge, Education, and Experience
Candidate will ideally have a bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline and at least 8 years of experience. Candidate must also have a proven track record of working within a team of engineers. Communication skills are a must and experience to communicate remotely via collaboration tools is advantageous.
To £70,000 + contributory pension, 25 days holiday, medical insurance after 1 year.
Interested? Send your CV now!