Author Topic: Tutorial - Installing PeppermintOS Two on an Acer Aspire One AOA110L ZG5  (Read 55078 times)

Offline JohnG38

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Okay, SeZo, take your point :-) just excitement at a whole new world! (you'll see I've started a new thread about another issue)

Mark, none of those. They are all clearly thunderbird, not whatever I had. Anyway, of course thunderbird shows new mails by each name ... perhaps I'll get used to it :-)

thanks for the syndaemon thing. great. just did it and tested it. ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 07:53:45 pm by JohnG38 »

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
Anyway, of course thunderbird shows new mails by each name ... perhaps I'll get used to it :-)

It does not haveto, see my previous post. If you make those changes then all the e-mails will be collected in the
"Local Folders". And when you respond to them there is the option to change the "From" line in the drop down list,
as you have previously described.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've just been playing with Thunderbird, and it seems to (obviosly) treat IMAP and POP3 accounts differently.

The only reason I mention this is because the "Global Inbox" setting didn't seem to be available with an IMAP account.

Have you set the accounts as IMAP, rather than the mail being downloaded from POP3 server(s) ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline JohnG38

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
sorry, didn't get notifications of your two posts - apologies if I seemed impolite.

we old fogies don't like change. But I'm quite at home with thunderbird now I've got used to it  (yes I did select POP)

Just to say thank you to Mark in particular for the considerable expertise you took the time to devote to my problems. Peppermint is terrific and it's like a new lease of life for my netbook. (now if only I can find out why I downloaded 'patience' and it's disappeared.  :-) )  If you ever need a book editing and laying out for professional print ....

• View Profile
    • Awards
Quote from: JohnG38
sorry, didn't get notifications of your two posts

That will be because you haven't clicked the "Notify" button at the top of this topic to receive email notifications ;)

Heh .. between you and someone else who offered to nicely bind any book for me, I'd be set up if I were an author :)

I'm glad you're liking Peppermint.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:31:43 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Alan

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi, I just want to say thanks to Mark, we now have a functioning AA1.  My son bought it for £50 and found the linpus lite to be unreliable and out of date.  We did try upgrading firefox but that wouldn't work but we noticed more and more comments as the thread went on, along the lines of 'why bother when you can have peppermint'.  So we took a deep breath and took the plunge into peppermint, which is just lovely, with spotify and everything else.  I'm a relative newbie to linux, all the terminal stuff is pretty scary and my son is just getting into computers, but all of those instructions just worked. I don't know how you know all that stuff and it's obvious that you know how to put it across for the scared/new, so a very big thank you to Mark!

• View Profile
    • Awards
You're more than welcome .. thanks for taking the time to let me know it helped :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:35:25 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline gasman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thanks for the tutorial. I had the same problem as joe and clueless withe a brand new usb stick. Tried another (old stick) and it worked fine.

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hi gasman, and welcome to the forum :)

You're more than welcome, and I'm glad the tutorial helped :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline gasman

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Ok, so now I'm using peppermint on my AA1. It is much better than it was when it was new! I just installed Stellarium without even looking at a forum! Glad I didn't just try to update Firefox which is where I started. Thanks

• View Profile
    • Awards
Couldn't agree more .. Peppermint turns the AA1 into a wholly different machine, and is a MAJOR step up from Linpus Lite :)

Your timing may not have been perfect though .. Peppermint Three is supposed to be out on the 23rd of this month.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline cjuser

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I have installed Peppermint 3 on my AA1 successfully, I think, upto Stage 9 following your tutorial but have hit a couple of problems:
1. I typed in the commands in stage 8 and everything seems to have worked ok except that it couldn't find skype.  I really need to use skype.
2. In stage 9 I followed the instructions and pressed the Apply button.  Then I waited and waited! I kept trying minimize to see if the license window was behind but the only license was in the Details window and the <OK> button wasn't a pressable button!
Eventually I logged out.  Next time I opened up the Synaptic Package Manager I got an error message which told me to type in the command 'dpkg --configure -a'.  But then I got an error message that the requested operation requires superuser privileges.  I'm not aware of having/not having any superuser account/password. 

Hope you can help.

• View Profile
    • Awards
OK.. for Skype

In the menu, go to System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager, enter your password, when Synaptic starts -

Go to Settings > Repositories .. when a new window opens -

On the "Peppermint Software" tab, make sure all 4 boxes are ticked.

On the "Other Software" tab, make sure all boxes are ticked EXCEPT the cdrom:[Peppermint 3_Three_ - Release i386 (20120423)]

It's important that the "Canonical Partners" and "Independent" boxes are ticked

Click Close

Click the "Relooad" button (on the Synaptic toolbar)

Close Synaptic.

Now open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T), and run:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
then
sudo apt-get install skype

For lubuntu-restricted extras..

First lets install ttf-mscorefonts-installer on it's own ..

Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run:
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
at some point the terminal will turn blue telling you you need to accept a license, with <ok> at the bottom ..
hit the Tab key so the <ok> is highlighted red .. hit the Enter key ..
the next screen will have <yes> <no>, again hit the Tab key so/until <yes> is highlighted red .. and hit the Enter key.

It will now install.

As you can see the secrets in the use of the Tab key to select the options .. you *could* do the same thing in the Synaptic "Details" window but I reckon it's easier from the command line

Once ttf-mscorefonts-installer has finished installing .. still in the terminal run:
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras
This time it should install without issue because the license has already been accepted.

I suppose now that the ttf-mscorefonts-installer no longer throws up the licence acceptance window .. I should redo the tutorial for Peppermint Three

I'll try to do that later.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:52:30 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline cjuser

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thanks Mark - advice has worked brilliantly.  I actually ran the updates before looking for your post and the updates installed the latest version of ttf-mscorefonts-installer.  Glad I now know to press <tab> to get to the <OK>.  Peppermint 3 is looking good.  Great to have some up-to-date software.

• View Profile
    • Awards
You're more than welcome :) .. Though it sounds like you worked it out for yourself.

If you've just moved from Linpus to Peppermint .. Yeh, couldn't agree more .. Peppermint is a HUGE improvement over Linpus Lite.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal