Author Topic: Arch Linux Switching to native systemd  (Read 5971 times)

Offline cirrus

• Hello World!
    • View Profile
    • Cirrus Minor
    • Awards
Arch Linux Switching to native systemd
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
A few weeks ago when Arch announced the switch to systemd there was much gnashing of teeth ,  i too was apprehensive about making the switch but i knew it would have to be done sooner or later , i opted for the sooner. Here is a lil guide i wrote for those unsure of how to proceed

$ pacman -S systemd                   # getting systemd itself, and any deps

* fixed myself a hostname, vconsole.conf, locale.conf, and timezone file in /etc       #see  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … tion_files

$ pacman -R initscripts                                # removing initscripts, getting a rc.conf.pacsave just in case was good.
$ pacman -R sysvinit

$ pacman -S systemd-sysvcompat              # replacing init and boot with systemd

$ pacman -S systemd-arch-units                  # getting Arch-compatible versions of native systemd service/unit-files

$ sudo shutdown -r now      #Reboot , u may need to hard boot
you will boot into tty1 just login & type startx

then to enable slim,DHCP,network mgr,ntp  type in terminal as root ..
systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service                #for dhcp network | for static ip see  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Network
systemctl enable slim.service                                #slim    *systemctl enable kdm.service    if you a KDE user
systemctl enable NetworkManager.service             #network manager
systemctl enable ntpd.service                                #Network Time Protocol daemon    ( if ntp installed)
systemctl enable systemd-readahead-collect.service systemd-readahead-replay.service     #To enable readahead  this should in principle improve boot time depending on your kernel version and the type of your hard drive, your mileage may vary (i.e. it might be slower). In order for the readahead to work its magic, you should reboot a couple of times.
For any services you require but arent listed see the archwiki for a more comprehensive list and a guide to writing your own , above services will suffice for most users.
afterwards you may like to remove the now defunct consolekit which apparently still uses resources for doing a job that systemd or udev now handles  (automounting of drives / USB devices)
3xBoot / Arch / Sabayon / Debian
Arch-Arm Raspberry-Pi Model B
CPU:Intel® Pentium D 2x3.GHz
GPU:ASUS® [G92 EN8800 GT TOP] 512MB DDR3.
Memory:3072MB'DDR2 | HDD Size 1TB
Audio:Audigy2 ZS 7.1

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal