Author Topic: Slow download  (Read 35038 times)

Emegra

Re: Slow download
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2013, 08:15:48 pm »
If you've tried Zorin and it's based on the 3.2 kernel, and is still useless (even on an ethernet cable), then I'm gonna have to say this is probably a lost cause :(

I'm inclined to agree, some things are just not fixable or explainable and I think this is one of them.to be honest the PC's not worth the effort I bought it for £12 out a boot sale to use as a NAS I only tried to make a PC out of it because the wifes PC packed up and I thought I could make it  do her as a stop gap till we got her something better, the sad thing is in every other respect it's really quite a fast PC and runs well on PM4, far better than her last PC ran on Windows.

But I have her converted I put PM3 on her Lenovo laptop because Windows 7 was driving her insane and she loves it

Lets put this to rest

Many thanks for your efforts

Graeme

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »
Okey dokey .. and well done for converting the missus .. I wish I could mine  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #226 on: July 21, 2013, 08:18:47 pm »

Emegra

« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:00 pm »
well done for converting the missus .. I wish I could mine

Well not completely she still wants her MS Office but that's for another day :)

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2013, 09:03:48 pm »
Well, I am envious that you have managed to convert the missus.
I am still hopeful with mine. As my main PC finally packed up today, she agreed to allow me to install the HDD into her PC and run it for awhile whilst mine get sorted.
Maybe just maybe she will see the light but I will not hold my breath. :-\

Emegra

« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »
Women can be strange creatures SeZo, but in my case she just couldn't argue with the speed difference her laptop running W7 was a joke and I genuinely tried everything I knew to make it run better, one day she shut it down in disgust and said something like "I'm fed up of this laptop it's like watching paint dry" so i said well I can make it run faster if that's what you want but not with that OS, her reply "do what you have to do I don't care"

So I did and she hasn't looked back

ps thanks for your efforts trying to help with this PC it was a gallant effort but just not to be :)

« Reply #229 on: July 21, 2013, 09:14:50 pm »

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: July 21, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »
I've given up completely .. I've discovered that smashing your head against a brick wall is pretty pointless after all .. smart eh ;)

My problem is the missus "knows" I know how to fix her Windows PC .. so sees no benefit .. from her point of view her Windows PC is Teflon coated and self fixing  :o
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
from her point of view her Windows PC is Teflon coated and self fixing  :o

I like that very much. I can not get mine to even try Linux, let alone use it. Hmm, perhaps I should stop fixing hers too, that might work :-\

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
I know that *sounds* like a plan but take it from me, all that will happen is your life will become miserable for a while then she'll end up back on Windows ;)

By all means give it a shot .. but remember me saying "hindsight is a wonderful thing" when you come out the other side of the "experience" :)

--
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:53:15 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »
By all means give it a shot .. but remember me saying "hindsight is a wonderful thing" when you come out the other side of the "experience"

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I shall just carry on as usual and see how it pans out.

Back on topic, Emegra tried 3 different Wireless devices, Ethernet connection, 2 different OS + kernels and a different location.I wonder what we missed?

« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »

Emegra

« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2013, 10:26:01 pm »
That's the trouble with you smart computer guys, you can fix computers properly so when your missus Windows computer does the Windows thing and run slow and generally screw up you can fix it properly I can't I can only do what I know which is pretty limited and to be honest I don't really know if there was anything wrong with her laptop as such but it was slowish but there's no doubt Linux woke it up

Back on topic, Emegra tried 3 different Wireless devices, Ethernet connection, 2 different OS + kernels and a different location.I wonder what we missed?

I don't know but some things are just not meant to be, but no one can blame yourself or Mark for lack of effort

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2013, 11:21:23 pm »
Underpowerred power supply is about the only other thing I can think of as a possibility .. nothing jumped out in dmesg besides the connection seeming to drop out and reconnect a lot.

@Emegra .. did you say earlier that other things you connected to the USB ports also went screwy (such as an external HDD, or USB stick) unless they were connected to a powered hub ?

--
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:24:05 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:23 am »
@Emegra .. did you say earlier that other things you connected to the USB ports also went screwy (such as an external HDD, or USB stick) unless they were connected to a powered hub ?

Yes but I can't remember the exact details but it was when I was transferring terminal outputs using a USB stick the hub went down but it wasn't the hub itself it was the USB card the the hub was plugged into, I had to switch things around so the hub was plugged directly into the main motherboard USB ports, as it stands now there are 2 PCI USB cards but one is redundant

The hub isn't a powered hub although it uses 2 ports I have a Belkin usb adaptor plugged in to it at the moment which is working and seems stable whereas the PCI card works when it likes

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
Hmm .. could either be power related .. or if you have internal hardware that's playing up like that PCI/USB card it's always best to remove it and see if things improve.

Old power supplies tended to be very weak .. bung an extra 2 PCI card in and things could start to play up.

Here's what I'd do..

If you have a higher rated power supply .. try it

Remove ALL redundant and especially possibly broken hardware such as the PCI/USB adapters that are playing up .. one broken component can effect the entire system .. I've seen plenty of old no longer used PCI modems bring systems down when they've failed quietly.
(plus we're trying to take as much strain off the power supply as we can)

Use the PCI wireless card not USB .. the PCI/USB cards were probably fitted due to a lack of USB2.0 on the motherboard (?)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:54 pm »
Ok I'll try that when I get home I'm on holiday and on a public wifi at the moment and my problem internet connection at home seems like lightening by comparison, anyway I dont understand why I didn't remove the  PCI card myself when I realised it was faulty because I once had a faulty USB card before that brought the whole system to a grinding halt so you just might be on to something

Many thanks

Graeme

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2013, 11:35:17 pm »
Have a great holiday :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal