Author Topic: Slow download  (Read 35011 times)

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Slow download
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:18 pm »
meanwhile .. have you got a USB (or different PCI) wireless adapter you could try
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:20 pm »
meanwhile .. have you got a USB (or different PCI) wireless adapter you could try

I have a belkin wireless g usb adaptor I'll connect it and see how it compares

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:20 pm »

Emegra

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »
I ran with the usb adaptor for a while and to begin with it seemed faster then it began to slow down then started dropping connection, so I've reverted back to the pci and it's pretty much like it was at the beginning, anyway I've had the day from hell and I'm off to bed to put this day to rest, I'll follow any instructions you may care to give in the morning

Goodnight

Graeme

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 01:18:32 am »
There's something weird going on here.

Was it like this with your old router .. or has this only started since you got the superhub ?

Have you tried restarting the superhub ?
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:12:15 am »
Was it like this with your old router .. or has this only started since you got the superhub ?

Difficult question to answer because the problem began when the wifes Windows PC packed up and I set up an account on Chloes PC (Linux2) for her as a temporary measure until we could get her another PC,

Linux2 and the Windows PC worked through a KVM box so they shared the same keyboard mouse & monitor, Linux2 always had a solid network connection and was relatively fast so she was happy with that meantime.

then after a week or so for some unknown reason the network on Linux2 suddenly became painfully slow to the point where it became unusable, so I had an old PC in the attic that I was going to build another NAS with when I had the time,  so I decided to set up that machine for her and installed Peppermint 4 (Linux4),

To solve the sudden slow connection problem with Linux2 I wiped the drive and installed Peppermint 4, although that  sorted the slow connection speed it created the new problem of the connection constantly dropping out, I didn't report that problem on here because at that time I knew the Virgin Superhub would be arriving soon and I wanted to see if that would sort the problem first, which as it turned out didn't.

The Superhub arrived a few days later and although I only noticed the slow download speed of Linux4 after that, it doesn't mean it wasn't there before it because the problem isn't instantly noticeable, general browsing and communication with the NAS was OK although perhaps a bit sluggish.

So answering your question is difficult because so many different events occurred around the same time making it difficult to nail the problem down to any one particular thing, but I'd be reluctant to blame the problem on the Superhub because throughout all this the connection on my PC (Linux3) has been solid and lightening fast, before and after the new Superhub was installed

I'm sorry for the long winded post, I've probably given you a lot of pointless information you didn't really need to know, but I just wanted to give you as clear and complete a picture of the situation as I could

Many thanks

Graeme
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:23:41 am by Emegra »

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 06:12:15 am »

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:48 pm »
Well the thing I find odd is that even using another wireless adapter, it starts off quick, then progressively slows down.

So I'm wondering if the superhub is just rubbish at handling multiple wireless connections.

I'm wondering if we should try using your old router as the wireless access point, and connecting that to the superhub by an ethernet cable .. thereby only giving the superhub a single (non wireless) connection to worry about.

You game for experimenting ?

Are you in a built up area .. I mean are there a lot of other overlapping wireless access points all using the same channel ?

What's the output from:
Code: [Select]
iwlist scanning
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 01:08:23 pm »
You game for experimenting ?

If you have the time

I might have another option which is a while back I bought a Virgin Wireless modem/router (not a superhub) at a boot sale, I've never tried it but it's there as an option if you want, but I'll go with whatever you think best, prior to getting the Superhub I was using an old Motorola Surfboard modem + my own wireless router which actually worked fine but I can't go back to that now because they took away the Surfboard Modem

Are you in a built up area .. I mean are there a lot of other overlapping wireless access points all using the same channel ?

I live in a city but not in a particularly built up area, about 5 or 6 networks show up under "available networks" which are just my immediate neighbours. but I don't know what channel they're using

I'm still at work at the moment but I'll send the output from iwlist when I get home

Many thanks

Graeme

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
about 5 or 6 networks show up under "available networks" which are just my immediate neighbours. but I don't know what channel they're using

Let's find out then ;)

What's the output from:
sudo iwlist scanning
this *may* just turn out to be interference from the other networks, or maybe not, but worth a shot as it's an easy solution if it works and an easy test.

Nearly all ISP's standard kit comes pre-configured to use channel 6 or 11 .. so this can happen.
(personally I always scan the available networks, then pick a channel as far away from what everyone else is using as possible)

--
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 03:38:59 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »
If you got loads of networks in your area you could just filter the output:
sudo iwlist scan | grep Channel

Most are either on Channel 7 or 12 in my area.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:39 pm »
I'd rather Emegra doesn't filter the output .. I also wanted to see the signal strength of all the overlapping networks and the encryption type.

But DO use "sudo" as suggested by SeZo (and fixed in my command above)

You can surround the output with "spoiler" tags if you like though :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:39:10 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 09:05:48 pm »
Hi guys sorry I've taken so long to respond i've been working late and we have our Grand-Daughter so I haven't had a minute, it's been a long day and I'm now just chillin with a few beers,so hopefully we'll get started tomorrow if that's ok ?

Many thanks

Graeme

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »
Whenever you're ready :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:08 am »
The output was kinda big so posted to pastebin

http://pastebin.com/n76V9TE5

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 12:39:16 pm »
3 things spring to mind

a) is there an option in your superhub to switch from "tkip" to "aes" encryption .. or even to drop encryption altogether and switch from WPA2 to WEP ? (even just to test)

and

b) there appear to be 2 networks in range .. remember when you had the issue changing the routers IP and we had to juggle IP addresses because of hidden networks .. I'm wondering if Virgin are doing similar to the BThomehubs, where they actually have 2 (or more) networks, your private one and a public "hotspot" one .. is there an option to disable this in the superhub.

the dual networks on BThomehubs made a lot of machines drop connections .. now whilst I'm not saying this is the problem here .. it's worth investigating.

c) in some cases the signal strength on the "emegra" network appears to be weaker than the "virginmedia5139198" network .. are you miles away from the router (or have thick brick walls in between) ?

What i'm saying is, if you move the PC that gets a good connection to the same palce as the ones that don't, does it suffer too ?

--
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:42:07 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 12:46:02 pm »
Beside what Mark pointed out, there seems to be 2 wireless adaptors as well (wlan0 & wlan1). Is that intentional. Have you got 2 adaptors?

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal