Updates:

Forums updated to SMF version 2.1.1

VLC probs

Started by Melissa, August 13, 2013, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 09:44:57 PM
OK, the CPU frequency scaled (800Mhz --> 1600Mhz) when under load .. so whichever version of Mint you're using probably has the Jupiter power manager, or TLP installed.

That's a good thing for a netbook/laptop by the way.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't understand most of this....I know what a CPU is, think you mean it goes from 800 to 1600 to save power, but the rest is beyond me LOL. I got this netbook second hand as I said, perhaps it wasn't originally sold as a Linux one as it had had its original hard disk removed, this smaller one in place and the keyboard has the windows logo on it. The latter is what made the Linux guys suspect it might not have been sold as a Linux netbook. I got it with Ubuntu on it. It still was a bargain though and a huge improvement on the dinosaur Windows xp desktop I had before.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Emegra

it almost certainly wasn't originally sold as a Linux netbook but it looks like an ideal candidate for Linux however I'm not sure you have the right distribution installed and I'm almost certain it would benefit hugely from running a more lightweight distro from my experience looking at your outputs you're pushing it to the limit so the less system resources the OS uses the better the netbook should run 

Melissa

Quote from: Emegra on August 13, 2013, 09:59:29 PM
it almost certainly wasn't originally sold as a Linux netbook but it looks like an ideal candidate for Linux however I'm not sure you have the right distribution installed and I'm almost certain it would benefit hugely from running a more lightweight distro from my experience looking at your outputs you're pushing it to the limit so the less system resources the OS uses the better the netbook should run

Yes, hope to get its new hard disk installed soon! I will ask the guys to Peppermint it as well. I also have my late brother's oldish HP Microsoft xp laptop to be Linuxed as well. There isn't the right cable in there for it tho so I'll have to see if his partner can find it, if not will pay a visit to the computer repairs shop. I bet this laptop will be another ideal candidate for Linux....and unlike this netbook it has a DVD drawer!

In the meantime is there anything else I can do to help the netbook? I haven't loads of media files on it, just a few text files. I only have one game -Tux and the basic packages.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Melissa

Oh, meant to ask i have got a file  in the file system called evolution.backup. tar.gz which is taking up 21.7 kb and I don't know what it is. I cannot seem to open its contents- just loads of folders and files in it which make little sense to me. Any ideas what it is and what's it for?
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

I'm currently running Peppermint 4 on 2 Acer Aspire One zg5 netbooks .. same CPU as yours (Intel Atom N270) .. one has 1GB RAM and a 8GB SSD, the other 1.5GB RAM and 16GB SSD .. both of which have no problem playing H264 mkv's :)

That's a backup for the evolution email client .. but at only 27kb it's tiny, so don't worry about it.

[EDIT]

You're correct .. what I said before means the CPU frequency is being throttled back when the CPU isn't being used much .. to save power, make your battery last longer, and keep the netbook cooler.

I'd just noticed in your first cpuinfo output the CPU clockspeed was 800Mhz .. I just wanted to see if it was stuck that way, or whether it automagically scaled up to 1600Mhz when you put the CPU under load .. it did :)

--
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

@ Mark

Have we any way of knowing if Melissas netbook has PAE capability ?

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

YES it does

From Melissa's cat/proc/cpuinfo

Quoteflags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dts

And I'd swear I just said I have the same CPU and am running Peppermint 4 ;)  :P  ;)

[EDIT]

The Atom N270 is 32bit only though .. so it'll need Peppermint 4 32bit .. or she can go for Peppermint 3 if she'd prefer

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

QuoteI'm currently running Peppermint 4 on 2 Acer Aspire One zg5 netbooks .. same CPU as yours (Intel Atom N270) .. one has 1GB RAM and a 8GB SSD, the other 1.5GB RAM and 16GB SSD .. both of which have no problem playing H264 mkv's :)

I presume that yours have more GBs of SSD than mine then? The Linux group told me that Linux uses less RAM than Microsoft systems, or something like that. Amazing what this little machine can do on Mint compared with that old Microsoft XP desktop I had- it was so slow and froze about 5 times a night!

QuoteThat's a backup for the evolution email client .. but at only 27kb it's tiny, so don't worry about it.

Ok thanks- don't know if I am using evolution email client or not!

QuoteYou're correct .. what I said before means the CPU frequency is being throttled back when the CPU isn't being used much .. to save power, make your battery last longer, and keep the netbook cooler.

I got it a new battery a few months ago and it sits on a cooler pad I got from a pound shop which works a treat! The netbook stays cool even after hours of use.

QuoteI'd just noticed in your first cpuinfo output the CPU clockspeed was 800Mhz .. I just wanted to see if it was stuck that way, or whether it automagically scaled up to 1600Mhz when you put the CPU under load .. it did :)

Good that it is working ok then! I do like Dell actually.

My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 10:26:16 PM
YES it does

From Melissa's cat/proc/cpuinfo

Quoteflags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dts

And I'd swear I just said I have the same CPU and am running Peppermint 4 ;)  :P  ;)

[EDIT]

The Atom N270 is 32bit only though .. so it'll need Peppermint 4 32bit .. or she can go for Peppermint 3 if she'd prefer

--

Tell you what guys, I have certainly having a few computer lessons tonight LOL. I appreciate the help greatly- many thanks. What's PAE capability?
What do you think would be best Peppermint 3 or 4?
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

QuoteI presume that yours have more GBs of SSD than mine then?

I seriously doubt it :)

QuoteAmazing what this little machine can do on Mint compared with that old Microsoft XP desktop I had

Mint aint much quicker than XP .. Peppermint IS :)

I *think* Mint uses evolution by default .. but could be wrong.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

32bit OS's can only access up to 4GB RAM .. it's a fixed limitation of 32bit memory address width.

64bit can access more than you'll ever have.

PAE (Physical Address Extension) is an extension to the kernel that allows 32bit OS's to access more than 4GB.

What Emegra is alluding to is .. new versions of Linux (including Peppermint 4, but not Peppermint 3) ONLY have a PAE kernel, so won't install on systems with a non-PAE capable CPU.

It doesn't apply to your netbook, as it DOES support PAE .. so you can install the latest versions :)

Emegra was just checking you could indeed use Peppermint 4 .. you can.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
QuoteI presume that yours have more GBs of SSD than mine then?

I seriously doubt it :)

I just had to look up SSD on wikipedia LOL. So yours has less???!

QuoteAmazing what this little machine can do on Mint compared with that old Microsoft XP desktop I had

Mint aint much quicker than XP .. Peppermint IS :)

I *think* Mint uses evolution by default .. but could be wrong.

Oh believe me Mark this netbook is fast! For example it takes like a second or two to download an MP3 music file from Amazon whereas it took 20 minutes on that XP thing! I'm not joking! I have also noticed that it is faster than  Microsoft 10 machines as well ( have to use them at work). And 10 is their latest package! I'd be interested to see how much faster this can run on Peppermint!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 10:41:03 PM
32bit OS's can only access up to 4GB RAM .. it's a fixed limitation of 32bit memory address width.

64bit can access more than you'll ever have.

PAE (Physical Address Extension) is an extension to the kernel that allows 32bit OS's to access more than 4GB.

What Emegra is alluding to is .. new versions of Linux (including Peppermint 4, but not Peppermint 3) ONLY have a PAE kernel, so won't install on systems with a non-PAE capable CPU.

It doesn't apply to your netbook, as it DOES support PAE .. so you can install the latest versions :)

Emegra was just checking you could indeed use Peppermint 4 .. you can.

Now you know my little machine's workings what do you think is best for it- Peppermint 3 or 4? I have to say i am very fond of this machine and am very pleased with it. It's the best computer I have ever had- but probably most of it is due to it being Linux! You couldn't pay me to go back to Microsoft! That old XP thing used to annoy not only me but all my friends when they used it when visiting.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

If XP was that slow, there was something wrong with it .. the full Mint isn't much quicker than a properly running XP

As for Peppermint 3 Vs Peppermint 4 .. there are benefits to both

Peppermint 3 will be supported for longer

Peppermint 4 is prettier, and has access to more up-to-date software.

The choice is yours, either one *should* run perfectly on your system.

As you mentioned it's a Dell netbook .. what's the output from:
sudo lshw -C display
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

QuoteIf XP was that slow, there was something wrong with it .. the full Mint isn't much quicker than a properly running XP

I spent enough on it at computer shops but it was still s***t! And I used other XPs and many other Microsoft versions and none have been as fast as this Linux netbook. And Microsoft PCs are always crashing!! I try not to laugh when I see people trying to reboot the things all the time....do they properly run for long? No!

QuoteAs for Peppermint 3 Vs Peppermint 4 .. there are benefits to both

Peppermint 3 will be supported for longer

Peppermint 4 is prettier, and has access to more up-to-date software.

The choice is yours, either one *should* run perfectly on your system.

What do you mean 3 is supported for longer?

QuoteAs you mentioned it's a Dell netbook .. what's the output from:
sudo lshw -C display

PCI (sysfs) 

It is a Dell Inspiron Mini.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook