Updates:

Many new features now available including 2-Factor authentication

VLC probs

Started by Melissa, August 13, 2013, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

I must add I'm biased towards Peppermint 4 because I contributed to it .. I'm now part of the Peppermint development team.

But Peppermint 3 is a rock solid version too .. and as it's (mainly) an LTS (Long Term Support) release it will be (mainly) supported longer than Peppermint 4

Gimme a sec to type it up and I'll explain LTS, and how it applies to Peppermint 3 .. ie why Peppermint 3 will be (mainly) supported longer than Peppermint 4
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 11:04:27 PM
I must add I'm biased towards Peppermint 4 because I contributed to it .. I'm now part of the Peppermint development team.

But Peppermint 3 is a rock solid version too .. and as it's (mainly) an LTS (Long Term Support) release it will be (mainly) supported longer than Peppermint 4

Gimme a sec to type it up and I'll explain LTS, and how it applies to Peppermint 3 .. ie why Peppermint 3 will be (mainly) supported longer than Peppermint 4

Must be cool to be that technical that you can create a Linux distribution!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

OK, Both Mint and Peppermint are based on Ubuntu .. but Peppermint uses the MUCH lighter LXDE desktop environment.

Every 4th release of Ubuntu is an LTS (long term support) release .. 5 years support rather than 9 months (12 months in the case of Peppermint 4)

So, Peppermint 3 was based on the last LTS release of Ubuntu (12.04), meaning it will receive bugfix and security updates for the full 5 years of the Ubuntu LTS life cycle.

Peppermint 4 isn't based on an LTS release (but it's based on the newer 13.04 code base), so only gets 12 months support .. but as I said it has access to more recent software in its repositories.

it's slightly more complex than that, but that's the general gist of it .. in reality, Peppermint 3 also has a small repository that's specific to it, which has already stopped receiving updates (that doesn't mean much as it only contains some settings and stuff) .. so Peppermint 3 isn't technically an LTS, but it can pretty much be considered one as it gets 99% of it's updates directly from the Ubuntu repositories .. so it's kinda 99% an LTS.

As far as updates goes .. nothing in the Peppermint 3 specific repo will receive firther updates, but there's nothing important in there anyway .. the VAST majority or the stuff comes from the Ubuntu repos, and that'll receive updates for another 4(ish) years.

Deos that make sense ?

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

In short -

99% of Peppermint 3 will receive updates for the full 5 year life cycle of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS .. the other 1% isn't important as it shouldn't require updating, and shouldn't cause any issues.

Peppermint 4 will receive updates for 12 months until Peppermint 5 is released.

Peppermint 5 (next year) will 99% be an LTS as it'll be based on the next Ubuntu LTS release (14.04)

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Yes, thanks that all makes sense. I had Ubuntu on this netbook when I got it and had Mint put on it by the Linux guys as they said the Ubuntu I had was from 2008 and it was better to have an updated distro. I did like Ubuntu though, I have to say. I think I'll have 3 put on this netbook and maybe try 4 on the old laptop of my brother's. This netbook will remain my main one. I'll probably use the laptop mostly for playing DVDs/films on you tube- nice  under the duvet in bed on a winter's night! It has a much bigger screen.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Either is a good choice .. but if you're not into installing yourself, you're right Peppermint 3 may be the better choice .. at least till you're ready to try an installation yourself (when we'll help).

Can you post the output from:
sudo lshw -C display

the reason I ask is I thing the Dell netbooks used the Intel GMA500 grahpics chip .. which may be better supported in Peppermint 4 than 3
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 13, 2013, 11:30:40 PM
Either is a good choice .. but if you're not into installing yourself, you're right Peppermint 3 may be the better choice .. at least till you're ready to try an installation yourself (when we'll help).

Can you post the output from:
sudo lshw -C display

the reason I ask is I thing the Dell netbooks used the Intel GMA500 grahpics chip .. which may be better supported in Peppermint 4 than 3

PCI (sysfs)

I am lucky in that the local Linux group guys have installed things and helped me with my netbook and when they get the time will do so again. I have no idea about my late brother's old HP laptop as yet as the cable to switch it on is the wrong one ( wrong fitting).

PS- never saw this terminal thing in Microsoft computers- have they got them?
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

No it will sit at PCI (sysfs) for a while .. then continue .. so give it time to complete.

Also make sure the -C in the command is a capital C .. Linux commands ARE case sensitive :)

[EDIT]

QuotePS- never saw this terminal thing in Microsoft computers- have they got them?

Microsoft have a command line but it's rubbish, even the newer "windows power shell" .. the Linux command line is UBER powerful, in fact there's nothing you can't do from it :)

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Ok, will do it again.

QuoteMicrosoft have a command line but it's rubbish, even the newer "windows power shell" .. the Linux command line is UBER powerful, in fact there's nothing you can't do from it :)

Poor Microsoft LOL....

Regarding Dell and the Ubuntu I originally had..the GUI was simply gorgeous- the best I ever had. I do miss that. The icons were arranged in a row in like a box on the screen and when you clicked on them they spun and opened- was so fast and easy to use! It was of course lost when it was changed to Mint. The guys said that GUI was Dell not a Linux GUI...
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Melissa

display:0             
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: [email protected]:00:02.0
       version: 03
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:f0000000-f007ffff ioport:1800(size=8) memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f0200000-f023ffff
  *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
       description: Display controller
       product: Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2.1
       bus info: [email protected]:00:02.1
       version: 03
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f0080000-f00fffff
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

QuoteThe icons were arranged in a row in like a box on the screen and when you clicked on them they spun and opened

A dock bar .. like the one on an Apple Mac ?

similar to this:-

??
pcnetspec.co.uk

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

You have the same graphics chip I do .. so you can go with either Peppermint 3 or 4 :)

I was hoping it wasn't the GMA500 Poulsbo .. which can be problematic .. and it isnt :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

It was similar to that yes! The icons sat in 2 rows. In fact Mum and I thought my netbook was a sort of Mac when we first saw it in Cash Converters.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 14, 2013, 12:01:18 AM
You have the same graphics chip I do .. so you can go with either Peppermint 3 or 4 :)

I was hoping it wasn't the GMA500 Poulsbo .. which can be problematic .. and it isnt :)

Yay for Dell!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

You can easily add that to Peppermint .. or indeed Mint .. Linux is MASSIVELY configurable
(there are quite a few dock bars for Linux)

There's a topic on the Peppermint forums where we've asked people to show us their desktop:
http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78&start=590 (http://peppermintos.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=78&start=590)

runs to 61 pages, but you can get an idea just how configurable Linux is
pcnetspec.co.uk