Updates:

Similar topics mod installed, currently shown at the end of a topic

VLC probs

Started by Melissa, August 13, 2013, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa

Sounds great. I wish I had taken a screen shot of my old GUI for posperity now! I remember when i first got this netbook and was so thrilled with it and my then housemate ( since got my own gaff) in the shared house I was in who had a Macbook tried to talk me out of keeping it and told me Linux had loads of problems! I didn't know what to think and went and showed it to a PC guy mate in his shop. He never used Linux but was objective and said it was another OS and that some Microsoft things might not work on it. But then I went on Linux websites and  by some stroke of luck took it to a social centre/cafe that Saturday I hang out and found they had Linux on their PCs ( which I had never used) and a Linux group. One guy at the cafe  told me not to listen to my Mac housemate and explained the Linux system to me, told me I had  a bargain, and I rang my Mum who had bought the netbook for me and she was very pleased I had such an awesome system.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Melissa

Those icons are cool LOL. Really Linux is the top OS!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Don't ever listen to a Mac fan --

Mac fans spend a whole ton of money on their systems, so kinda HAVE to love it, or feel like a fool .. so they don't like the fact that everything they like about OS X Linux does too, and then some .. it ruins their elitism fantasy.

Linux and OS X are both related .. they're both children of Unix (so both known as *nix OS's)

OS X is IMHO just a rubbish (and tweaked to lock you in) proprietary "Linux-ish" OS.

I'd never buy a Mac .. unlike most Mac fans, I've more sense than money ;)

--
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 14, 2013, 01:07:27 AM
Don't ever listen to a Mac fan --

Mac fans spend a whole ton of money on their systems, so kinda HAVE to love it, or feel like a fool .. so they don't like the fact that everything they like about OS X Linux does too, and then some .. it ruins their elitism fantasy.

Linux and OS X are both related .. they're both children of Unix (so both known as *nix OS's)

OS X is IMHO just a rubbish (and tweaked to lock you in) proprietary "Linux-ish" OS.

I'd never buy a Mac .. unlike most Mac fans, I've more sense than money ;)

They can be like that yes because they have spent like a grand on a netbook/laptop that isn't any better than Linux OS which all comes free, or mostly free. Ok Mac is way better than Microsh*t, but why pay a grand when you can have Linux and pay just under a hundred quid for a netbook ( what mine cost) second hand and Linux it!!
My bro luckily isn't like that- yes he loves his Macbook, but knows Linux is great. He hadn't seen it before til I showed him mine.He is a bit of a computer geek so at least he had heard of Linux. I had vaguely heard of it when I saw this netbook in the shop and connected it to Unix, but thought it was some form of Mac til the man in the shop told me it was a different OS. I was impressed how user friendly it was to use and found it easy to navigate around right away. I don't know if it was cos it resembled Mac in some ways, and I had had a go on the housemate's Mac and used a Mac when I worked on a student newspaper years ago. I did find Mac more logical than Microsh*t. Oh and my first introduction to computers was Mac back in the early 1990s when a student nurse in Wales. They had  got some Macs for us to type up assignments on but I never used them.
It was a good thing my desktop XP thing died that week as my Mum had been planning to get me a laptop ( I was unemployed and broke) and we just happened to be in the right place at the right time!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

I'll never understand Mac fans  ::)

Take the " no right-click cut and paste issue, and how the Mac fans defended it not being there:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-183472.html (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-183472.html)

That made me laugh :)

OK they've FINALLY added it to the latest version of OS X .. but c'mon, "cut" is a basic function, it should have been there from the beginning .. specially because of the way "finder" fights you having two windows open to drag and drop.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

LOL! I'm so glad I have Linux! Well that's me done for the night, gonna go old fashioned with a book and the duvet. Cheers for all the help and info Mark. Night Night!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

No problem .. goodnight :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

Maybe you shouldn't give up on that XP desktop you have yet, you could Linux that as well or if you have no use for desktop a PC you could Freenas it and use it as a NAS to store all those Movies you have

Melissa

Quote from: Emegra on August 14, 2013, 07:41:48 AM
Maybe you shouldn't give up on that XP desktop you have yet, you could Linux that as well or if you have no use for desktop a PC you could Freenas it and use it as a NAS to store all those Movies you have

Oh that is well gone Emegra! I gave it to the PC repair man for parts in return for him retrieving the files and putting them on a portable HD when it died. Though some idiot I knew deleted all the files afterwards and I lost  6 years' worth of files.  Even the Linux guys and the PC man couldn't get them back ( Long story, sore point).My bro retrieved some on his Mac but they are all fragmented in parts or won't open.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

If it was a windows formatted drive (NTFS/FAT) you shoulda used Stellar Phoenix .. the only recovery software that actually works.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 14, 2013, 01:42:27 PM
If it was a windows formatted drive (NTFS/FAT) you shoulda used Stellar Phoenix .. the only recovery software that actually works.

Well I was about to take it to the Linux guys as the HD wouldn't open in Linux- it was Microsoft configured ( but not a prob as I could have saved the docs to my data stick and emailed them to myself bit by bit...) when the idiot took the HD out of my hands said he knew Linux and then LOST the files!!!!

I have since given the HD to a Microsoft user who can re format it and use it to store his own files- my files were beyond help all down to that idiot.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Emegra

It's for these type of eventualities that I mentioned Freenas, You should always have a backup of any important data stored off your PC/laptop and a NAS is a perfect way to do it because it not only stores it but it makes accessing it simple and it saves space on your PC/laptop after all a computer is really designed to run programs not store data, all my data is stored on a NAS which is in turn backed up to an external drive connected to it and a simple rsync routine keeps them both in sync without lifting a finger, I've lost important data before because like many people I put off backing up stuff and paid the price this way if my PC burst into flames tomorrow I would lose nothing but a PC

Melissa

All my important stuff is on a portable Hard drive Emegra. :)
My computers:
Acer Chromebook

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Emegra's point is you should use the old PC as a NAS (Network Attached Storage) .. where you can read/write to it across the network.

That allows ALL PC's on the network access to anything that's on it

It's also an ideal place for backing up other PC's to .. particularly if you can put 2 drives in it in RAID1 configuration (or as Emegra does rsync the main NAS HDD to another)

The point of RAID1 or rsyncing to another drive is in case the NAS HDD fails .. BOTH drives are unlikely to fail at the same time, so you always have a working copy even in the event of a drive failure.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Sounds a bit beyond me all that Mark! Anyway got rid of that desktop a year ago and was glad to be rid of it- big bulky thing it was. I am not a fan of desktops. I have limited space where I live, so prefer netbooks. I am happy with portable hard drives and data sticks for storage. I actually don't have  a lot of files since the idiot got rid of most of what i did have. I also like to store files virtually.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook