Updates:

Many new features now available including 2-Factor authentication

VLC probs

Started by Melissa, August 13, 2013, 03:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Point of a NAS is it can go anywhere .. up the loft for example .. then you can access it form other PC's

Not that any of this matters if you no longer have the PC  :o
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

I have mine in the loft and in the last 8 months I've only had to reboot it once and that was through no fault of the server, I know Freenas is not Linux but I have to say it's a great system

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

FreeNAS is FreeBSD isn't it ?

[EDIT]

Answering my own question here .. YES it is.

FreeBSD = Close enough ;)

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

QuoteFreeNAS is FreeBSD isn't it ?

Yes the original author stopped development after Freenas 7 and it was taken over by IXSystems and rebuilt from scratch into Freenas 8 but personally i preferred the old  Freenas 7, but i've recently discovered a clone of that has been taken over which is now called NAS4FREE or something like that  and also one of the developers with IXSystems branched out and created a Linux version very similar to Freenas 8 called Openmediavault

The wonders of open source :)

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

You could easily turn any Linux server edition, or light distro into a NAS I suppose .. effectively it's just a file server.

I'm also guessing the Linux kernel would probably have better hardware support than FreeBSD

[EDIT]

Well when I say "easily" .. I suppose "easily" is a relative term.

--
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

QuoteYou could easily turn any Linux server edition, or light distro into a NAS I suppose .. effectively it's just a file server.

This was suggested to me before by SeZo but I couldn't find a way to run a linux server with a web gui and because I keep the NAS in my loft it has to be headless also I just can't get my head around webmin, the web gui in Freenas very graphical and easy for a dimwit like me to understand, what I can't get my head around is the plugin/jail system but for the most part I can make it do everything I want it to do

QuoteI'm also guessing the Linux kernel would probably have better hardware support than FreeBSD

it probably does but a NAS doesn't need much hardware support there's no printers or scanners attached to it, I don't plug in any cameras, it doesn't require sound and so far I've had no problems with network or graphic cards

Graeme

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Well there's always webmin (as you say) and/or ssh (also part of webmin) or VNC, RDP, or even NX, etc.

There a LOT of ways to remotely control another Linux PC .. but if FreeNAS does the job.....

Hardware .. I was thinking of things like wireless drivers .. but yeh, a Linux server could do more, like be a print server, etc.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

I suppose someone with the savvy could make a better system out a Linux distro but I think it would be beyond the average Joe.

Your right about the print server I don't think Freenas can do that but I'm sure I read somewhere it's something they're working on and will be added through the plugin system.

I tried Openmediavault which is based on Linux and although it's good it's not quite there yet at least not when I tried it, another good thing about Freenas is that you can run the OS from a USB drive leaving all the IDE/SATA channels free for storage which I'm not sure a Linux server can do because if my memory serves me right Openmediavault couldn't but I may be wrong

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Ever heard of a little thing called a LiveCD/LiveUSB ? .. plus there's nothing stopping you doing a "Proper" installation to a USB stick ;)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Theoretically the Linux box could also be a NAS fileserver, media streamer, print server, web server, FTP server, firewall, etc. etc. .. oh, and also double as a remote (or local) desktop if you wanted ;)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

QuoteEver heard of a little thing called a LiveCD/LiveUSB ? .. plus there's nothing stopping you doing a "Proper" installation to a USB stick[/quote

Yes I've heard of a liveCD/LiveUSB I've used them both many times but I didn't think they were the same a "Proper" installations and  I'm gonna show my ignorance here but I didn't know you could do a "Proper" installation to a usb stick unless you mean a LiveUSB with persistance?

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

Nope, not a LiveUSBS with persistence .. as long as your BIOS can treat a USB stick as a HDD you can do a normal "proper" intallation .. and if it can't it wouldn't work for FreeBSD or FreeNAS either.

Hell you can install to an SSD card if your BIOS will treat it as an HDD

Even if your BIOS won't treat it as an HDD, there are ways around it .. such as a boot floppt or CD that then chainloads the OS from the USB stick
pcnetspec.co.uk

Emegra

Ok lets say I installed some Linux distro on to a usb and connected it a PC with a bunch of hard drives and I want this to be headless how would i communicate with it , I could try to understand webmin which I find confusing or i could ssh/telnet but that would mean I'd need your understanding of the command line, can you honestly ever see me achieving that ?

For me that's the beauty of Freenas or OMV these operating systems were written to make it possible for someone like me with limited computer knowledge to run a NAS and all it's services in an easy to understand and graphical way

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

You could have a light desktop if you wish .. openbox/LXDE, etc. then serve it's GUI desktop across the network in a multitude of ways.

You can serve graphical stuff with SSH, VNC, RDP, NX, etc.

[EDIT]

I'm sure I read somewhere that you can log onto remote machines directly from the Ubuntu login screen now.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on August 14, 2013, 09:58:50 PM
Point of a NAS is it can go anywhere .. up the loft for example .. then you can access it form other PC's

Not that any of this matters if you no longer have the PC  :o

I have visions of that thing falling out of the loft on top of my wardrobe Mark! :o I was glad to be rid of it to be honest- it was a very poorly machine. It had gone to the blue screen of death about 4 times!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?