Author Topic: Error message in downloading Ubuntu 10.04  (Read 12231 times)

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Error message in downloading Ubuntu 10.04
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
Right, I don't see the windows bootloader when I select the ubuntu boot. I deleted a load of files, recently looked at the add/remove programs and ubuntu was there with no size indication next to it and the only option was to remove it from the list as it had probably been deleted. There is no ubuntu folder but here is my boot.ini

>>
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"
<<

Ah sorry for misleading you. My last statement was somewhat facetious and a reference to your statement of how to log in to reality. I was losing the plot somewhat at that stage. Phew!

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 12:26:59 am »
remove the bottom line so it says:-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

you will have to right click the boot.ini file first and select properties... then take the tick out of read-only,click OK... or you won't be able to save the file after editing... you can always put the tick back afterwards, but you don't HAVE to.

I'm in chat ATM... top of screen
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:28:35 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 12:51:03 am »
Right, that's done and now rebooting. I'm guessing that'll stop the boot option coming up? Reckon it'll do owt else?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 12:52:35 am »
Nope, that's all it will do... Once you are happy that windows reboots OK, you can delete the C:\wubildr.mbr file
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 09:10:20 am »
Yep that's all done. I somewhat optimistically tried to boot from the disk again and the drive wasn't sounding too bad and I thought, hey maybe it takes a while lets let it run all night. Yeah didn't work. Come down this morning to the same purple screen. Off to get my hands on some kind of external device now. fingers crossed.

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 01:02:57 pm »
Slight change of plan. Got a ubuntu 8.04.1 ltsdisk from a friend and booted from that. Worked from disk but would not complete the installation. said more info in the syslog file but now i can't access that as i'm back in windows. doh!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 03:36:34 pm »
Do you know what hardware you have?... Have you got any "exotic" hardware attached?... how far did the 8.04 install get.

What is your graphics card?... if unsure, look in device manager in Windoze.

Although there is still the chance it is your CD/DVD drive.

Boot from the 10.04 LiveCD -
At the very first screen, the one with just the rectangle (it’s meant to be a keyboard) and a human figure, press any key - spacebar will do.

Then choose your language.

Then make sure you have “Try Ubuntu without any changes” selected, and then press F6

Remove this from the end of the command line:

quiet splash

and replace it with

nomodeset

or for intel graphics chips & oddly enough some nVidia cards try
i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa
instead of nomodeset

Then press enter (or Ctrl-X... or whatever it says to hit to continue the boot process) and see if it will boot then... if it does, continue the install, but once you reboot to the hard drive you will have to do it again (the first time)... once at the desktop, install any offered graphics drivers, or go to System>Administration>Hardware drivers, and install (activate) them from there.

And I seriously wouldn't go as far back as 8.04, if you want to try a different version, get 9.10 (Karmic Koala), or try Linux Mint 8 (Helena).

BTW, The syslog file can be found at /var/log/syslog
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:19:24 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »
Hi Mark, I'l just quickly try and answer your questions one at a time:-

hardware is a compaq presario 2200 laptop Intel Celeron processor 1.4 GHz, only change in hardware is adding the max ram and plugging in a monitor (as the screen doesn't work)

So nothing exotic as far as I'm aware

8.04 started off looking good, went through the setup procedure to the point where it asked me to review something so it opened firefox to show me some files which didn't apear, so i surfed the web a while. Then went back to the setup procedure and said something didn't work and i could retry or continue anyway. continue was the only way forward. It started up a partition manager which recognised my windows partition and allowed me to size the new partition and old by dragging them left to right. Also gave me several options manually, whole drive etc - Left it as recommended in the end and continued the end result was that the setup failed and i could continue to use ubuntu from the disk. So i looked around a bit (at this stage firefox wouldn't load) and then decided to try again. This time all was same until the partition manager which didn't recognise my windows partition, said I had half the free space and gave me less options. The free space was now less than the required 4gb so I aborted and had the use of the o/s from the disk but nowt else, again firefox would not load. All a bit wierd.

Graphics card would be the one that come with the laptop, from device manager it says:- Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller, i hope that's what you mean.

So I tried booting from the 10.04 disk as burnt on my machine and got a different result today, didn't get to the purple screen this time, just stayed on the boot up screen - ISOLINUX 3.63 Debian-2000-07-15 Copyright (c) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvia
Loading.... and when I ejected the disk it said isolinux: Disk Error 31, AX=4200, drive 9F boot failed press any key to retry. For the record when I did get the purple screen previously I pressed keys till it beeped at me so still something wrong I think...

I'm sure I've been vague when detail would be important and vice versa but I'm doing most from memory, sorry.

Hope some of this means something. Not spent any dosh on a DVD drive yet but probably will tomorrow when I'm in Huntingdon if nothing else works.

Thanks Bob.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 04:02:03 pm »
You definitely have one of the intel graphics chipsets that are effected in 10.04 (the reason we are telling people not to upgrade ATM)... see here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes
there are workarounds, but NON of them are perfect, and are likely to disable desktop effects, hardware acceleration, etc.

My advice would be to get a copy of 9.10 (karmic) for now (or Mint 8 )... when Ubuntu have sorted the problem, you can always do an upgrade to 10.04 (or mint 9) with "sudo apt-get upgrade".

Ubuntu 9.10 or Linux Mint 8 should work without any problems, and can be downloaded from here:
Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.10/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
Linux Mint 8 (Helena)
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/8/LinuxMint-8.iso

BTW, ejecting the LiveCD whilst trying to boot from it WILL throw up errors.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:17:23 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »
Thanks Mark. I don't know which is preferable from the two options so I'm currently downloading the latest, 9.10. I see how this has affected my installation of 10.04 but not with 8.04. I guess there's a whole other list of problems with that one. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »
There isn't much in it between Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8... Mint 8 is based on Ubuntu 9.10, but has a slightly different desktop (bit more like the Windows desktop layout, no top panel, menu bottom left etc.), and comes with the ubuntu-restricted-extras and libdvdcss2 packages already pre-installed (extra codecs, M$ fonts, retail DVD playback etc.)... other than that it  uses the Ubuntu repos, so ALL ubuntu software and help will work with mint too.

As for the 8.04 install, no way of knowing whats causing that problem without the syslog file, but I would be surprised if 9.10 doesn't "just work".

My advice would be to delete the partitions that 8.04 created before installing 9.10, then telling 9.10 to use the free space... prob not 100% necessary, but might make things smoother... you can either do this from the 9.10 LiveCD during installation, or from the Gparted LiveCD.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:46:43 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »
Getting a bit downhearted now. 9.10 got to the same page as 10.04 but only half of the first line i.e. just before copyright. Currently downloading mint. Hoping things go better with that....

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 07:38:27 pm »
Unlikely to work... Mint 8 IS Ubuntu 9.10... hold on, did you say you have a 1gig pendrive and CAN boot from USB? (ie. does your laptop support booting from USB)

I'm guessing the 2gb minimum pendrivelinux talks about is to do with leaving room for persistance... have you tried it on a 1gb ?

at the very least it would rule out your CD/DVD drive

Try pressing Esc as you boot and see if you get as far as this screen on the 9.10 LiveCD?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Also try turning ACPI off in the BIOS, and/or setting the acpi=off boot option during the LiveCD boot... see the above link for instructions.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:18:02 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:31 pm »
Have you tried this from the 10.04 LiveCD ?

1. Insert the 10.04 LiveCD and boot from it, you will get a screen with a small rectangle (keyboard) and a human figure at the bottom of the screen... When you get to that screen just press any key, space bar will do.

2. You will get the language option, select English and press enter, you will be taken to a screen with options for installation.

3. Make sure the option "Try Ubuntu without any changes" is selected (don't hit enter yet)

4. Now press F6.

5. You will see a small pop up on the right hand side of the screen, just hit escape to make it go away. And you can see a long command line which is already there.

At the end of that line (which probably ends with quiet splash), add a space then add
i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa and press enter. (that's a lowercase I not L)

This will ONLY work for one boot, you will need to do it again after the install... but if it works, get back to me and I'll tell you how to make it permanent.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:54:46 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline BobBullen

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:18 am »
I had no idea if my computer would be able to boot from the usb port or not. It doesn't seem to want to so I guess it doesn't. The instructions on how to make this possible on pendrivelinux.com include starting my compyter from an ubuntu live disk so I guess I'm going to buy a new dvd drive. I really hope this changes matters as I can't really spare the cash atm! I'll e back on the case late afternoon/early evening with updates. Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal