Author Topic: Using newer kernel than provided  (Read 1279 times)

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Using newer kernel than provided
« on: December 20, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
Reading this - http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.12 - it seems like there are changes that would benefit both of my machines (Optimus laptop running Mint 14 = Ubuntu 12.04, and AMD desktop running Mint 15 = Ubuntu 13.04).

Rather than grabbing the kernel source from kernel.org and compiling it myself (bit of a risk that it may not be fully-compatible, and it won't auto-update via APT), I'd rather use a PPA. I found a PPA seemingly hosted by Ubuntu themselves (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa), which has 3.12 packages for saucy & trusty (13.10 & 14.04), but not for raring or quantal. Is it a good idea to install these packages, or do I run the risk of dependency issues? Also, will APT keep them up-to-date if I install with "wget && dpkg", assuming I can just "apt-get install" once I've added the PPA to sources?

Edit - I'm working on the assumption that they won't backport 3.12 in the future.......

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Using newer kernel than provided
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:56:08 pm »
Bung it on and test it .. you can always boot the older kernel if it doesn't work.

I *doubt* if they'll cause any dependency issues .. if they do, and the dependencies can't be satisfied, it should warn you.

No, they're highly unlikely to backport it to the earlier Ubuntu versions .. or they already would have.

No, your package manager(s) won't update them further, as they'll already be more recent than any quantal updates that get pushed.

--
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:04:14 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal