Author Topic: A refresher please on EUFI bios's for USB boot ??  (Read 2073 times)

Offline daveinuk

• Linux user of a few years, based in Manchester :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A refresher please on EUFI bios's for USB boot ??
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »
I've lost myself fiddling with the settings I'm sure  . . . . . 

In a nutshell -  I've got mint 16 on my HDD, sole OS - I want to boot from a TAILS usb I made a while back and I can't get it to boot off the USB but I did when I managed to install mint ! What are the settings I need?

Fast boot off? EUFI on or should I choose 'other OS', I dragged the USB icon to the right so it was 1st in the list for boot order, can't remember what else I did?
 either way I can boot off the hard drive but I can't remember what I changed to boot off the USB, mint is 64 bit but the USB is 32 bit although I don't imagine that's relevant.

It seemed so easy when it was all blank and I was doing a fresh install! I'll need to know for when LM17 comes out . . . .

TIA - Dave
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16 & 15 (different HDDs) Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.6/1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16 MATE: Desktop:LM16 Cinnamon Intel 3.2ghz processor, 8gb RAM. Linux Registered User #562462

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: A refresher please on EUFI bios's for USB boot ??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:46:57 pm »
Dunno .. depends on the UEFI BIOS

According to the Ubuntu wiki

In your BIOS, disable QuickBoot/FastBoot and Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). If you have Windows8, also disable FastStartup.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal