Updates:

Forums updated to SMF version 2.1.1

0019792309479 scam

Started by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec), May 07, 2014, 12:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

I just had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft support telling me my computer had viruses and if I let them remote in, they fix it for me :)

Damn I wish I had RDP set up .. would have been amusing to let them into an isolated Linux box, and confuse the hell out of them :)

Obviously I told them to sod off  ::)

I really only posted this so Google finds the phone number, and the word SCAM.

If any unsuspecting Windows users see this .. do NOT let them remote into your PC, Microsoft would NEVER directly phone you .. this is a scam pure and simple.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Melissa

Quote from: Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) on May 07, 2014, 12:45:26 PM
I just had a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft support telling me my computer had viruses and if I let them remote in, they fix it for me :)

Damn I wish I had RDP set up .. would have been amusing to let them into an isolated Linux box, and confuse the hell out of them :)

Obviously I told them to sod off  ::)

I really only posted this so Google finds the phone number, and the word SCAM.

If any unsuspecting Windows users see this .. do NOT let them remote into your PC, Microsoft would NEVER directly phone you .. this is a scam pure and simple.

I was hving them call me on my home phone 2 years ago( even tho I am ex directory). They always had an Indian accent. I told them I had an Apple Mac then out the phone down. When I got Linux I told them Microsoft was crap and I had Linux- they'd go all quiet then I'd hang up. They stopped calling.
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?