Author Topic: Boot-Up Failure  (Read 11264 times)

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Boot-Up Failure
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2014, 08:39:49 am »
That's broadly what I was planning, without the user rename (just using the same name as before). I did have permission issues with this when moving from Mint 15 to 16, but I was doing other (probably silly) things at the time (like using a regular user account and su).

I don't have the space to do this on my current /home (it's like 85% full, lol), but I could move it into a tar and stash it on my other rig (NTFS partition). The only issue I have is the hidden config folders/files - which are safe to move, and which are "current version specific" i.e. Mint 14 specific, and shouldn't be applied to Mint 17

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2014, 06:32:45 pm »
I don't have the space to do this on my current /home (it's like 85% full, lol)

That is precisely the reason for doing it 'in place'. That way you just move the files/folders between the old and new accounts, thus not taking up any more HDD space.

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2014, 08:37:59 am »
I don't have the space to do this on my current /home (it's like 85% full, lol)

That is precisely the reason for doing it 'in place'. That way you just move the files/folders between the old and new accounts, thus not taking up any more HDD space.

:-[
That'll teach me for replying to a post before I have a cup of tea in the morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal