Author Topic: Bullshit  (Read 2008 times)

Emegra

Bullshit
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:15:17 am »
Yesterday I was in a computer shop and a customer next to me placed her netbook on the counter an said "it running slow and takes ages to boot up" I was particularly interested in this because this was an identical netbook to one a friend of mine gave me a couple of months ago for exactly the same complaint, my solution was wipe Windows and install Peppermint 5 and it's now flying and I mean flying

Anyway the assistant lifted the lid turned it on and sure enough it took a while to boot up then he messed about with it for a bit, opened up the web browser etc then said " the problem with these things are they run on atom processors and never gonna be the fastest things in the world, to be honest I don't think there's much we can do to speed it up" then went on about it running updates and virus scans at startup blah blah blah,

So his solution was to offer her this small laptop at £269 which had a faster processor more ram etc and running Windows 8, I don't know the outcome because I got served and left, but I was so tempted to butt in and say excuse me don't throw away your money on that laptop that's a fantastic little netbook you already have the processor's not the problem the ram not the problem it's the operating system that's the problem and that laptop he's trying to shove down your throat has an even worse operating system and will be running just as slow as your netbook in 6 months time

Obviously I didn't say anything it was nothing to do with me, but I walked out that shop feeling angry at the bullshit that woman was being sold and frustrated knowing with the right operating system her netbook could be flying

Graeme

Offline salparadise

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Bullshit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:33:58 am »
Sales people are not there to provide the 'best possible solution' for the customer, they are there to perpetuate the proprietary monopoly. This is why such places have people who don't understand computers selling computers to other people who understand even less.
Anyone who knew OS's, when confronted by a customer asking for 'as much security as I can get', would point them in the direction of Linux, not a 12 month subscription to Norton Internet Services.
There's a great deal of money to be made from selling people third rate protection systems for their third rate OS. There is barely any money at all in sorting out people's problems once and for all and leaving them better equipped, better informed and better protected. This is the self employed IT person's conflict - do you do the job properly and do yourself out of future earnings, or do you keep people in a holding pattern and thus guarantee future work?
Be silent, or say something better than silence.

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:33:58 am »

Offline chemicalfan

• I've been here a little while!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:05:53 am »
I can see both sides of the story. My old netbook was one of the original ones with the Atom N270, clocked at 1.6GHz, probably bought back in 2008-ish? My previous phone acquired 2 years ago (2012) had an Atom Z2480 clocked at 2Ghz. My phone had more power than my fully fledged netbook bought only 4 years prior. I'm not saying my phone was awesome, but that my netbook was...pushing it a lot of the time. I got it running like a dream when I ran Arch Xfce on it, but Ubuntu was pretty sluggish, even before they messed about with Unity (when they introduced it in the 10.04 release, it was pretty lightweight compared to now!)

Since then, the web has moved on, with rendering offloaded to the GPU and much more RAM intensive websites & browsers. Memory bandwidth is a factor as these netbooks are optimised for battery life, not performance, so it's a double whammy of slow processor and slow memory. The main thing about netbooks, is that they were cheap. They were the only way of getting a laptop/portable device for less than £200 brand new. Nowadays, with Chromebooks & tablets+keyboards, the netbook form is less relevant (as evidenced by the fact that they are like golddust now!).

There must be some truth in the performance aspect to it, because some tablets have poorer specs than a Atom-powered netbook, yet are fit for purpose. My guess is that the GPU within tablets is superior, and due to GPU offloading of both the GUI & web rendering, the poor CPU performance is offset. A problem shared is a problem halved. But I did prove that with some pretty extreme pruning of the OS (as in Arch, but it's more like leaving unnecessary bits out when building it), you can achieve good performance even on limited hardware.

Anyway.....

Sal is right - it's the money-making aspect winning out here. The shop exists to make money, without money, it doesn't exist and the guy behind the counter is in the dole queue. Yes, Linux is a better solution, certainly cheaper for the customer and would achieve a similar result, but it doesn't help the shop. This has been Linux's problem - lack of publicity. If enough people knew about it, and that buying new hardware every 2-3 years is unnecessary, I'd bet that we'd see a lot of shops like PC World in a lot of trouble.

Offline Melissa

• Vintage nerd
  • Been a Linux user since around 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »
Sal is right - it's the money-making aspect winning out here. The shop exists to make money, without money, it doesn't exist and the guy behind the counter is in the dole queue. Yes, Linux is a better solution, certainly cheaper for the customer and would achieve a similar result, but it doesn't help the shop. This has been Linux's problem - lack of publicity. If enough people knew about it, and that buying new hardware every 2-3 years is unnecessary, I'd bet that we'd see a lot of shops like PC World in a lot of trouble

True! I would have found it hard not to say to the customer- forget Microshit and get Linux!
My computers:
Acer Chromebook
Asus notebook x102B, running on Peppermint 9.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Offline Toonman

• Freeing the World form the Microsoft scurge!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »
One of the best examples of Sales people crap was in PC World (no shock).  I asked the 'Google girl' if I could install Linux on a Chrome book, her answer........Yes, just drop it on the floor on the corner of said laptop and crack it....inside is an SD card slot!  Yep, great idea.....not.
Life is for living.  RIP Keith Floyd.   ;)

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:33:39 pm »
LOL :))
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline sallyjoshua

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:31:47 pm »
i once fell into the same trap of trying to upgrade to the latest windows OS but with a pc that does not meet the specifications. linux is the best OS u can run a ubuntu on a pentium 4 single core with 1.8 ghz

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal