Author Topic: APT Packaging Management Tool In Detail; Linux  (Read 4882 times)

Offline MohdSohail

• Mohd Sohail
  • Linux is faster, easier & fun. linuxandubuntu.com
    • View Profile
    • Awards
APT Packaging Management Tool In Detail; Linux
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:23:26 pm »
A package is a 'Software'. Examples of the package can be the browsers (Google chrome, Mozilla, Safari etc.), utilities package (ccleaner, ASC, BleachBit etc.), designing program (Photoshop, Gimp etc.) and Games (Need for Speed, Call of Duty etc.). The packages/software are compiled and set altogether so that when someone executes them, all the files or scripts start and install the programs on the system. Sometimes the compiled code is provided in which everything is setup, all the files and scripts, only thing user do is execute them. Mostly programs are packaged so that user can easily install it.

That packaged code need to be unpackaged or execute through 'Package Management Tools'. That's where newbies have problem/confusion in Linux.

While turning from Windows/Mac to Linux, one of the biggest problems is to understand the packaging management tools in Linux. The first confusion understanding software installation is different types of packaging tools for different Linux distributions and second is in Windows we've simply a setup.exe file clicking on which starts the installation. In Linux also we've such files to install programs but they get changed in other Linux Distributions.
Although Windows packaging setup.exe has also some problems, like, they are larger in size and some others but I am discussing here about packaging In Linux, APT. So let's get started.

In this Article I am only heading to APT. To see other packaging Management tools, just see my article How To Install Software In Linux : An Introduction

Introduction to APT

As I mentioned above for different distributions we've different packaging management tools and so APT is for the Linux Debian based distributions. APT stands for Advanced Package Tool. In the beginning the .tar.gz (source code) was given that users had to compile them before they install on their GNU/Linux system. When the debian was created then they thought to make change and they designed a packaging management/system called dpkg. Then Red Hat after a while created rpm system. Then there was another challenge to install those packages easily and efficiently on systems with configuring perfectly and manage dependencies automatically. Then Debian created APT, Advanced Packaging Tool, since then has been being used in several other Linux distributions.

It was all needed to know for understanding the basics of the packaging and packaging management tools. Keep in mind the packaging management tools are the tools to execute programs in different ways. Here I'm going to tell you that how you can install/Unpack/configure any software (i.e package) through a widely used tool APT. It's all done in terminal, don't get scared it is super easy!  And yeh! It can also remove/uninstall, update and upgrade any packages from the system as well. So It's very featured.

How to use APT to install software : Commands

Each command needs user to be in root or using sudo.

APT commands have been better described on the website in article APT Packaging Management Tool In Detail; Linux

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal