Author Topic: VPN  (Read 1628 times)

Offline wishbone

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
VPN
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
Hi all,
Just a query about VPN`s. They give you anonymity while being online, but do they slow the speed down? Is there any detriment when using secure sites e.g. online banking etc.

Having visited a few VPN providers, they show a little map of where I am (supposedly) situated via my ISP. The position they give on their maps is roughly 20 miles from where I am. So they don`t know where I am anyway!  ???

I`m not very clued up on it so any help would be appreciated.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: VPN
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:38 pm »
Using a "free" VPN service will almost definitely slow down your connection, but how noticeable that slow down is will depend on what you're doing.

Paid VPN's probably less so, but then again, they now hold details of who you are so they can bill you .. so they're now open to having their records seized by the powers that be (if that's who you're trying t hide from).

Is there any detriment when using secure sites e.g. online banking etc.

probably not, though some sites may refuse connections from known proxies (and TOR exit servers).

Having visited a few VPN providers, they show a little map of where I am (supposedly) situated via my ISP. The position they give on their maps is roughly 20 miles from where I am. So they don`t know where I am anyway!

That's not the point in a VPN .. in fact most of what's advertised as "VPN" lately is really just a web "Proxy" (though it *might* also include a secured/encrypted connection to the web proxy)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

The Linux Community Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:47:38 pm »

Offline wishbone

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 08:58:50 am »
Thank you Mark,
I had a query the other day about this and not knowing a great deal about these things, the best option I thought, would be to ask someone who has a better idea.
Having pretty pathetic internet speeds anyway, anything that would reduce it further seems to be not a good idea. I will pass on the info.

Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal