Author Topic: Going over to Linux  (Read 8418 times)

Offline donwatson

• Getting older
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Going over to Linux
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 09:10:25 am »
+ 1 for Peppermint  ;D
Novatech build
Intel Celeron CPU 1.80 Ghz   Memory 4.00GB (3.71GB usable)
Peppermint 7    64 bit     500 GB HD        496 GB Ext 4
4.0GB Swap Partition    4.0GB Extended Partition   1.1Mb Free Space

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:47 am »
Once more, thank you Mark,

I appreciate you taking the time to produce a comprehensive explanation, even though I have needed to read it twice to begin to get the picture - but that's my failing. :-[ And as such I have copied and pasted it to a text document for future reference.

I'll watch the Youtube videos as you suggest, especially Peppermint7.

You state: "Consider this ..
there are the heavyweight but easy to install/use distros such as Mint, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, etc.
there are the heavyweight but easy to install/use distros such as Peppermint, LXLE, Linux Lite, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc."

In the mention of heavyweight, above, might one of those descriptions be 'lightweight'? I don't wish to be pedantic, just certain.   

Ed.

Excuse me butting in.........  I think the second reference should be "lightweight" and is a typo.

As Mark states, at first things can be a bit confusing but try to see this as an advantage rather than a disadvantage. 

With Windows, you 'get what you are given', decided upon by others, which may, or may not, suit your needs.  Microsoft is a commercial company that relies on it's customers to periodically renew their purchasing in order to remain in business - after all, if MS made a 'perfect' system, we wouldn't need to renew it again, ever.  You never 'own' Windows.  Linux is very different, in that regard.  Once you have decided on which distribution you want, you are then completely free to do whatever you want with it.  You can add or remove any programs, develop your own (if you have the skills) and pass it on to others to share.  All without fear of being hauled into court!  Linux is 'yours'.

Linux, in all it's forms is very secure.  There is no need for anti-virus (though it is available for those who really don't 'believe'  ::))  There is no need for constant 'housekeeping', as the way Linux writes to disk is very efficient in the use of space.  There are, literally, thousands of programs to choose from that you can add (for free) and thus have a system 'tailor-made' to suit your own, specific requirements.

The price you pay is not monetary (though contributions, at your discretion, are always welcome), it is in needing to learn a new way of doing things but this is nowhere as difficult as some might claim.  Once you have got your head around it, (and it won't take long) you begin to realise what a fantastic system Linux is.  ;)

Welcome to Linux and good luck!

Rich

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 02:27:57 am »
Yeah sorry Ed, second one should read:-

there are the lightweight but easy to install/use distros such as Peppermint, LXLE, Linux Lite, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.

I've fixed the original post :-[
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:20:35 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• Thanks to everybody helping me.
    • View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:25 am »
That flamin' Win 10 is making it near impossible to get on line. I keep getting messages like: DRIVER-POWER-STATE-FAILURE and UNEXPECTED-KERNEL-MODE-TRAP and then it closes the machine down and I have a hell of a job to get it back with the keyboard and mouse being detected (this is obviously one of the rare occasions when it's let me in).

On top of this we are having a shower installed and the supplier keeps sending the wrong parts and so I have a plumber and mate standing around while I try to get things sorted and I do not do well at multi-tasking.

Normal service will be resumed - well ASAP.

Ed.
I read something funny the other day, it said: "The day you die will be like any other day - just shorter!"

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 06:23:17 pm »
I apologise for the delay in getting on with things, but I have been held hostage by Win 10 and a shower. Thankfully the shower has been completed and obediently responds to all demands, sadly however, the same cannot be said of Win 10 so I am resorting to the grandson's laptop running that best of all incarnations from Microsoft (in my view anyhow) XP.

I have looked at Peppermint7, Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE. And although I'm beginning to understand the differences between Linux systems and MS, references to things like: SSB?s, gedit, pluma and Vbox tend to muddy the waters a bit for me, but I'm sure I'll get to grips with them in time.

I have downloaded Peppermint 7 and showed my appreciation in coins of the realm and I am now ready to progress and am wondering would it be better to fit a new hard drive to my desktop computer or even buy a new PC for the new installation?

Meanwhile I have the URL of the Peppermint forum, which should stop me bending everybody's ears on here and let you all get on with helping others.

Thanks as always,

Ed.

I read something funny the other day, it said: "The day you die will be like any other day - just shorter!"

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:17 am »
I have looked at Peppermint7, Linux Mint, Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE. And although I'm beginning to understand the differences between Linux systems and MS, references to things like: SSB?s, gedit, pluma and Vbox tend to muddy the waters a bit for me, but I'm sure I'll get to grips with them in time.

Other than SSB's" they're just application names .. I'm sure you didn't know what notepad and wordpad were when you first heard the names, you'll soon 'get' them .. as for SSB's (Site Specific Browsers .. or .. Single Site Browsers) we'll get to those in the future :)

Up to you if you'd prefer a new PC of HDD....

So are you ready to create a LiveUSB and use it to install Peppermint then ?

I take it you've got
a) a 1GB or larger USB stick
b) the Peppermint ISO (preferably 64bit)
c) the Rufus application .. or Win32 DiskImager ?
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 12:46:23 pm »
Hi Mark and everybody else who has helped with this discussion or like me, is learning greatly from it,

I have forked out so much for new hard/software or updates to programmes over the years that I was prepared to invest in a new machine as future expense under Linux would appear to be a drop-in-the-ocean compared to continuing with MS. However, I will keep that in reserve for the moment.

Yes, I am ready to go and have (a) and (b) but not (c). Is (c) a programme for burning the ISO? I suspect it is, if so I have ISO Image Burner. However, if the Rufus application or Win32 Disk Imager is essential to the operation I will hunt it down while waiting for further instructions.

Ed. 

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 01:23:04 pm »
Yes "c" is two applications specifically designed for writing the ISO file to a USB stick (because you have to remember the ISO is really meant to be burned to a CD/DVD)

Okay download Either Rufus
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

or Win32 Disk Imager
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

And see if you can figure out how to use either of them to write the ISO to the USB stick
(there are youtube videos on how to use Rufus)

Also .. do you know how to change the boot order in your BIOS if it turns out to be necessary ?
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 02:26:02 pm »
Thanks Mark, I'm onto all that stuff now; and yes, I can change boot order.

Give me a little while to get comfortable with what I need to do and I'll get back to you asap.

Ed.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »
No problem Ed :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:18 am »
Okay Mark, I think I am ready to move on. I have Rufus and have looked at a couple of Youtube videos and have had a go at creating a LiveUSB to install Peppermint from, but I must be doing something wrong because the video stated to change the file system to NTFS, which I'm sure I did, but the finished item stated it was in FAT32.  :-\
Ed.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:20:36 am »
I would have expected it to be FAT32 .. have you tried booting from the USB stick yet ?
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 02:17:07 pm »
No, I wasn't sure that was the end of the process, or as I said whether or not I'd done things right and thought to check in with the forum first.
Ed.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:34 am »
You now need to try booting to the LiveUSB

Do you know how to select the USB stick as the boot device ?

If you get to this screen (or similar .. I think the 64bit version looks slightly different, but with the same options)

Select "Try Peppermint OS Live" .. and hit enter to boot.

As long as you select "Try Peppermint" and NOT "Install Peppermint", you will make NO changes to your system at this point.

I just want to know whether you can boot to the LiveUSB at this point .. once we know you can I'll post installation instructions.

Is Peppermint to be the ONLY OS on this system (ie. are we wiping the hard drive), or are you planning on keeping Windows too (dual boot) ?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:39:15 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Ed

• View Profile
    • Swap Shop
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »
I have bought a new HDD for Linux so I'll just go right ahead and install it Mark. I'll be back soon to let you know what happened and hopefully that will be a no-nonsense install of Peppermint 7.

Ed.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal