Author Topic: Help needed to make a Linux Based Remote Database & Web Server  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Nemesis201077

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi,

I have no experience with Linux whatsoever, I've always had windows based PC's, but have decided to look at Linux for a project.

I set up my own business in 2009 and have a database of 10,000+ contacts with documents & records attached to them. I currently use ACT 11 as my database of choice. This is hosted locally on a fading laptop, along with all kinds of other business related programs.

What I'd like to do is revive an old PC (AMD Sempron 1700ghz I think, but can't really remember) host my database there and connect to it remotely via the internet/WAN. The aim is to have my laptop and my business partner able to update the database with new information. This should then enable me to extend th business easily in future by adding remote workers for telesales/mail marketing etc.

I'd also like to host my own website as I'd like to collect customer details in a mySQL database, but the cost of a PHP server is restrictive.

I don't know if this is possible for a home user to accomplish, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Any advice on Linux builds and other software, including how to host and access a database would be gratefully recieved.

Offline Mad Penguin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Linux in the UK
    • Awards
Re: Help needed to make a Linux Based Remote Database & Web Server
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »
Hi, you are my Brother 3 years ago .. almost to a 'T'.

1. Hosting on the end of an ADSL line is not recommended for a number of reasons, not least performance (64k bytes per sec is slow!)
2. If you are using ACT, you will want to replace it with SugarCRM
3. What's your budget? (PHP servers are only £10 a month)

IMHO, Sugar will run 'like a dog' on a 1.7G Celeron .. that sort of machine will run a reasonable desktop, but it's not going to be terribly happy as an application server and although you 'can' run sugar on the end of an ADSL, it really isn't a great solution.

Links;

http://www.sugarforge.org/ - Free CRM software
http://encryptec.net/services/hosting/wordpress-hosting/ - £10 a month PHP hosting

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal