Author Topic: Wireless woes after Ubuntu 16 upgrade [SOLVED?]  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wireless woes after Ubuntu 16 upgrade
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »
After editing the file, wireless connectivity returned.  For a while.  When it failed again, I just restored the original values or chose new ones, and hey presto, connectivity returned.  And so on.  Bizarre.
However..............I think I have solved the problem, quite by chance.  But rather than make a twit of myself, I continue tests until I am sure. 

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »
Cool .. fingers crossed :)

If it stands the testing, can you please post what the fix was so others can benefit .. TIA :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »
It's been a while since my last post – this being because the phenomenon was very haphazard and infrequent so I needed some considerable time to get a measure of it. 

I had thought that the “suspend” function was at the heart of the problem as opening the lid (set to suspend) appeared to be the most frequent precursor of the wireless failure.  However, if it is a contributing factor, then it's not the only one as there seems to be no particular pattern. 

Just to compound matters, the wireless-to-internet non-connection has diminished of late, to be replaced with other problems associated with LibreOffice.  Often, when Alt-tabbing between applications, returning to, say, a document shows missing icons in the menu bar or, more frequently, overlapping, blank icon tabs from a previous application.  Sometimes, the machine boots with some of the top panel (classic view) icons missing.  The icon positions are present, as I can click on the blank spaces and they appear, even if only briefly, and work OK.   

Overall, I am thinking that a complete re-install might be in order, but the effects are probably not frequent enough now to make it worth while.  I have just loaded Ubuntu 16.04 onto a mate's brand new Lenovo B50-10 and I have seen a few minor glitches...........perhaps it's a Lenovo thing.  Neither the B50-10 nor my T500 appear in the Ubuntu/Lenovo tested list https://certification.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Lenovo/ (although the T510 does) but I'm clutching at straws here. 

The verdict:  I have no idea.  Sorry.  But thanks for your support. 

Keith

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Wireless woes after Ubuntu 16 upgrade [UNRESOLVED]
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:38 am »
Well, possibly resolved. 

When booting up an old desktop I noticed similar connection problems so guessed that the router was to blame. 
It seems that the problem is caused by the router synchronising the 2.4 & 5GHz services and I found a source of useful info here:
which describes how to un-synchronise them. 
The result has been a dramatic improvement in the reliability of my computer - only once in a month has the connection dropped out, and who knows what that may have been due to.  Just BT, probably. 

I am not happy with the idea of BT using my router as a Hot-spot (BTWiFi-X and BTWiFi-with-FON) so would like to change it for something over which I have more control.  If one of my readers has suggestions, I would be grateful. 

Keith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Wireless woes after Ubuntu 16 upgrade [SOLVED?]
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 09:44:45 pm »
How about one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-UK-Archer-VR900/dp/B01132GCP0
you can find loads of reviews about it on Google
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/modem-routers/tp-link-archer-vr900-review-3625814/
or
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/network/87290-tp-link-archer-vr900/

But truth be told you'll probably not get much better wireless performance that an HH5 .. unless you're on 5Ghz 802.11n or 802.11AC
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 10:19:23 pm »
Thank you, Mark.

By chance, this is one that I had earmarked as a possible replacement - it does see rather good. 
I guess my main quibbles are with the BT service rather than the router itself - now that I seem to have cured the drop-outs.  I can't complain about my LAN communication speeds so, yes, you are right that I probably won't see any change there. 
I do use the 5GHz, more by accident than design, and find it very good. 

The cost is something to consider, too, for the mere satisfaction of snubbing BT! 

Cheers, Mark.
    Keith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 12:42:13 am »
Well that Archer VR900 is certainly faster in the 5Ghz band (see the performance section of the Hexus.net review, where they specifically rate it against a HH5) .. but you have to ask yourself if the 'possible' extra speed is worth £109.

IIRC there used to be a way to ask BT to disable the public hotspot .. I'll see what I can dig up tomorrow.

[EDIT]

Found it .. read this topic from here:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=10570.msg79751#msg79751
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:49:31 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Now that looks interesting!  But the comments by Sezo indicate a possible contractual problem.  I shall read that topic at length before adopting the method.  Replacing the router with my own certainly does not infringe any contract but, as you mention, is a very expensive "route" for what in practice would probably be a small gain.  Anyway, you have given me much food for thought and I shall let you know how I get on. 

My thanks as usual.
    Keith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 03:30:01 pm »
That "opt out" is from BT themselves .. so I can't see it presenting a contractual issue.

It may mean that you no longer get access to other peoples BT hotspots, but do you even use that (?)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »
Nope, never do - and only now realise what it's all about. 
I did follow the link to BT's opt out but the login only accepts BT internet login addresses - and I don't have a BT email address (how's that, I wonder?).

So.... I think I shall forget about it for now and just change my router when I am feeling flush. 
At least I have learnt something more about BT's modus operandi, although it hasn't reduced my blood pressure. 

Keith

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 01:07:29 am »
I'd give em a call .. but obviously it's up to you ;)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mikep

• Me again!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 02:22:37 am »
I'd give 'em the elbow.

Not that I'm an expert. Just that I got sick of listening to their staff reading from a script.

Last time I called them (on a house move) they repeatedly offered me superfast broadband which I kept telling them I didn't need. After a ten minute conversation, half of which I couldn't understand, their representative asked "so are you interested in superfast broadband?" I signed up with another ISP.

Not having to listen to their muppets is worth an extra few quid to me.

Personally, I'm thinking about cable. Fast,reliable, and you can ditch BT altogether. We had it a few years ago and got rid of it on principle because Virgin were affiliated with Phorm/Netwise (deep packet sniffing and targeted ads). In fact, so were BT at one time, but they got their fingers burnt and discontinued it, I believe. These days I realise my deep packets aren't worth sniffing, and I can use AdBlock to head off the ads..

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:42 am »
I am at one with you, Mike. 

I am with BT at present as it was the easiest, temporary option when moving to my new abode - after all, the fibres & wires are all operated by BT anyway. 
Although I wanted the broadband I didn't want BT's telephone service, but that's part of the obligatory package.  I don't use the telephone as I have an internet 'phone service provided by Vonage (vonage.co.uk).  It costs me £8 per month for unlimited landline calls and very competitive charges to mobiles, and the service is fantastic!  Overall it's cheaper doing it this way than using the BT phone part of the package. 

My plan is to migrate to Virgin media but it means digging a cable trench a long way from my home to the road and I have more pressing needs at present. 

Keith

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal