Author Topic: Query regarding Persistent USB of Ubuntu installation (Solved)  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Whusmaname

• N00b alert!!! Quick, hide the RUM!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Query regarding Persistent USB of Ubuntu installation (Solved)
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:33:01 pm »
Hey guys and dolls,

I know it's been a while since I've posted/logged in on this site, but life's been a bit too rough for me to play for a long time. I'm back now, though, and I'm having fun on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that has been giving me trouble with booting Windows 7, so I decided to dualboot Ubuntu and Windows 7, which solved my problem by using grub to boot instead of whatever Windows's useless boot is (What was giving me so much trouble, I still couldn't tell you).

But now I'm wondering if I can get the Universal USB installer to use the persistence function to update from 15.04 to 16.04 LTS, so that I can use the partition I've used for the Ubuntu installation as storage and run Ubuntu 16.04 from a live pen-drive instead, but keep all the software (installed programs) in the persistence file/option/whatever it is.

My question, therefore, is: Does persistence allow for upgrades from 15.04 to 16.04 LTS (with whatever upgrades inbetween, I wasn't paying attention during the updates)?

Thanks in advance,
G

PS: I hope this is in the correct board/topic... if not, feel free to move it to the correct place, and send me a link to the new place via PM.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:46:12 pm by Whusmaname »
I will not be held responsible for those whom I have influenced, as it was still their choice whether to listen to my instructions or not.

Offline SneakyTommy

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Query regarding Persistent USB of Ubuntu installation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 10:19:55 am »
You should be able to update to whatever version of the application you want. Or downgrade if you want etc. The numbers in the next Ubuntu or any other distribution means that they updated something since last update like new kernel or couple of major apps like window manager for example or xorg-server. To avoid any problems with full upgrade, i would suggest to update one by one (major programs and packages) and when you will have your 'system' up-to-date and working then perform full update for the rest. I would start with the kernel first, then gcc, systemd, then xorg-server, then gnome, kde or whatever you prefer. after all that, go for the rest of the packages. On the end you will have system more up-to-date than this Ubuntu 16-something version. good luck and dont forget to backup important data just in case.

Offline Whusmaname

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 07:26:42 pm »
Thanks, SneakyTommy.
You should be able to update to whatever version of the application you want.
I wanted to know if the Ubuntu 15.04 img file I installed using USB-Installer would stay as 15.04 or update when Linux updates to 16.04LTS (or whatever was between 15.04 and 16.04LTS if I redid the USB-installer to include persistence.
Or downgrade if you want etc.
Nope... don't wanna downgrade, 'cos then Ubuntu keeps asking for upgrades that I don't feel like having to wait for again, and support for said version/flavour/whatever is not available, which is why I upgraded to 16 in the first place...
The numbers in the next Ubuntu or any other distribution means that they updated something since last update like new kernel or couple of major apps like window manager for example or xorg-server. To avoid any problems with full upgrade, i would suggest to update one by one (major programs and packages) and when you will have your 'system' up-to-date and working then perform full update for the rest.
I think I'll leave the upgrading to the automation (Like I used to do (or rather, still do) with Windows.)
I would start with the kernel first, then gcc, systemd, then xorg-server, then gnome, kde or whatever you prefer. after all that, go for the rest of the packages. On the end you will have system more up-to-date than this Ubuntu 16-something version.
As far as I can tell, 16.04LTS is the latest available for download (since I downloaded 15.04, that's what it's upgraded to on the laptop.) So I checked if I could download it, and tried while my internet was sketchy at best (Service provider problems, not software/hardware/etc.)

How much more up-to-date is there?
good luck and don't forget to backup important data just in case.
Thanks again. Always do...
I will not be held responsible for those whom I have influenced, as it was still their choice whether to listen to my instructions or not.

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:45 pm »
From what I am reading I get that you want to run Ubuntu from an external disk (USB pen drive).
In that case just direct the install to that USB stick and from then on just boot from it and run it as you would be from an internal drive, albeit slower.
Rather than repeating it here there are plenty of instructions on the web with one example being here

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:21:46 pm »
Do what SeZo suggests (full "proper" install to a USB stick) as "upgrading" a LiveUSB from one version to the next will likely use up all your persistence file.

On "Live" USB's with persistence software that is updated does NOT get overwritten, every time you update something you'll now have 2 versions taking up disk space (the updated version in the persistence file, and the original version still in the squashfs) .. so even if it's possible (and something tells me it won't be) it would be a VERY inefficient use of disk space, specially when you consider most LiveUSB creators limit the size of the persistence file as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:29:18 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Whusmaname

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:37 pm »
Okay, cool.

So from what I understand, there isn't a way to update the usb-installation without wasting the persistence-file space, so what I should just do is recreate the usb-installer with the most up-to-date version whenever the updates happen (IE: download the .img file for 16.04LTS, and remake the pendrive using that .img, then when Ubuntu upgrades to the next one, download that .img file and do it again.) just in case anything happens, I'll have a way to reinstall.

I'll not bother with full-installing to usb, as SeZo said,
...run it as you would be from an internal drive, albeit slower...
because I feel like avoiding slowing this machine down in any way, shape or form. I think I'll just leave the laptop as it is, with dualboot Ubuntu 16.04LTS and Windows 7, and if I need to reinstall anything, I've got the usb to reinstall from, with the updated 16.04LTS .img, so I won't have to go through the updates from 15.04 again (Done it twice now, don't feel like going through it a third time.)

Thanks again for the advice. I'm marking this thread as solved.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Query regarding Persistent USB of Ubuntu installation (Solved)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:47:45 pm »
Well yeah, simply recreate the LiveUSB with the new version of the distro .. though obviously you'll loose any saved docs,etc. unless you back them up first.

That said, a "proper" install to a USB stick (as SeZo suggests) shouldn't really be any slower than a LiveUSB .. and that DOES allow for updates/upgrades without wasting space.

But your call.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Whusmaname

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
The idea was to keep the pendrive as an installation backup (due to the amount of times I've had to reinstall any OS), that updates to the current install, and have the installation on another pendrive (I've since changed my mind thanks to the advice here, and I'm leaving it on the partition I originally installed it to.

But in this case, I installed 15.04 twice, then took a few days worth of updates to get to (and due to the fact that I did this twice, back to) 16.04LTS.

It's like only having a Windows XP disc, and wanting to automatically update through Vista, then Windows 7, then Windows 8, then Windows 10, via internet updates (if that were possible, that is...). So I'll just redo the usb-installer with 16.04's .iso and try to remember to keep up with the distros that way.

Thanks again for the assistance and advice.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 07:31:13 pm »
No problem, thanks for marking the topic (Solved) :)
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal