Author Topic: live USB or dual boot ?  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: live USB or dual boot ?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:16:24 am »
Mark,
I use Unetbootin a lot and wouldn't be without it, but I don't know what "persistence file size" is.  Would you explain for me?  Just curious. 

Thanks,
   Keith

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 12:34:06 pm »
Okay you can have 2 types of LiveUSB

1) A LiveUSB where everything is forgotten when you reboot .. think of it like an unwritable CDROM .. so if you create a text file on the desktop, or enter your wireless key, or browse the web, when you next reboot too the LiveUSB the text file will NOT be on the desktop, you will need to re-enter your wireless key, and the browser will have no memory of where you've been or any addons you installed.

This is great for security, and okay for a simple installation media, but pretty useless if you want to save files or install apps and not have to redo them next boot.

2) A LiveUSB "with persistence" .. this type of LiveUSB remembers your changes, so the file would still be on the desktop, your wireless key wouldn't need re-entering, the browser would remember your history/etc. and any installed apps will still be installed.

Now bear in mind that all these "changes" are saved to something called a "persistence file" that is layered on top of the normal (unwritable) Live image amd you get what a "persistence file" is.

Also bear in mind that the file system used for LiveUSB's is FAT32 so there's a limit to the size of a persistence file .. simply because FAT32 doesn't allow files larger than 4GB

So if you want your LiveUSB to remember changes, include a persistence file of "up to" 4GB.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 05:58:27 pm »
Hmmm - this is getting frustating.  :'( Followed your instructions & it seems i created the desired live USB. When Unetbootin finished it gave the instruction to select boot from USB stick when rebooting. Switched off (Dell/pep os) put stick in, switched on & got 'bios' like menu that didn't have this option but did have a count down to auto boot (or some such) - nothing like a bit of pressure when you don't know what's going on - so i let it auto. Got a (different) peppermint start screen with a loading bar which stopped at the very last increment & stayed stopped. Got fed up waiting pressed esc & got a lot of code the last bits of whiched showed 'failed' on a lot of start commands eg. start file manager. Switched off at the good old standby on/off button.
So here i am again. looks like I may not be getting a choice over dualboot or liveUSB.  :(
just thought - is this USB 2/3.0 Issue ? Hesitant about going to my Win 10 laptop with this in case i stuff up somewhere - given problems i seem to be getting.

Offline RATTLEBACK.131

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:00 pm »
Did i say i was getting frustrated - should have kept quite, my Dell (pep o/s) committed suicide yesterday evening in a suspicously similar way to it's forerunner, so I now need to know how make this USB from windows - i think. Help....

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:20 pm »
See your other topic :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal