Author Topic: iesnare and mpsnare spy cookies  (Read 8372 times)

Offline ahead

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
iesnare and mpsnare spy cookies
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:22:05 am »
Last August I posted about concerns I have about spy cookies iesnare and mpsnare being installed on my computer. I added 'Better Privacy' to Firefox as advised and I thought all was well. However, I did a routine search and the following came up:

$ locate iesnare
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com/settings.sol
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/mpsnare.iesnare.com/stm.sol
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com/settings.sol
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/mpsnare.iesnare.com/stm.sol
graham@graham-HP-ProBook-455-G2 ~ $ locate mpsnare
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com/settings.sol
/home/graham/.config/chromium/Default/Pepper Data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/4CRH7AF4/mpsnare.iesnare.com/stm.sol
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/ci-mpsnare.iovation.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#ci-mpsnare.iovation.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#ci-mpsnare.iovation.com/settings.sol
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/#mpsnare.iesnare.com/settings.sol
/home/graham/.config/freshwrapper-data/Shockwave Flash/WritableRoot/#SharedObjects/X6Y994R2/mpsnare.iesnare.com/stm.sol
graham@graham-HP-ProBook-455-G2 ~ $

It looks to my untrained eye that I have still got the 2 cookies, certainly on Chromium which I very rarely use. 'Better Privacy' is active on Firefox but how can I rid my computer of these cookies and, crucially, ensure they never come back, please?

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: iesnare and mpsnare spy cookies
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 03:35:19 pm »
Those are flashplayer shared objects .. read this
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html

then go here:
https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
(you may have to disable any flashblockers whilst on this page)

and delete the shared objects.

then go here:
https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

and untick "Allow third party Flash content to store data on your computer"

You'll probably need to do this in both Chromium and Firefox.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline ahead

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 10:24:24 am »
 ;D Great help, thank you.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:37:44 pm »
No problem my friend :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal