Author Topic: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux redesign?  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Keith

• Linux Novice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've just heard on Radio 4, no less, about a vulnerability on Intel chips.  This article https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/ explains it in detail, although Intel is playing down the likely impact. 

Apparently, the major players (ARM, Microsoft, Linux, et al) have known about this for a while and are about to go public with patches.  The upshot seems to be that the patches will result in a noticeable reduction in speed.  Just as well I have an SSD, then. 

I don't understand the technicalities so I hope some of our expert Forum members will be able to keep us up-to-date, as the situation unfolds, on what it all means for us.  If anything. 

-----------------------
[EDIT] Ought to have been under "News & Events" - sorry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:38:27 pm by Keith »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Kernel-memory-leaking Intel processor design flaw forces Linux redesign?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:12:41 am »
It's going to be difficult to comment on this until all the facts are made clear Keith. As you say Intel are playing down the speed impact and that it's only an Intel issue .. see the press statement they released here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cpu-bug-amd-performance,36213.html

This bit of their statement however raised an eyebrow:-

Quote from: Intel
Intel believes its products are the most secure in the world

And they're saying this on the heels of

a) Putting a ton of users at risk with their Intel Management Engine (which can't be disabled) vulnerability .. that OEM's had to fix

b) IMHO having been the major player at fault in the Ubuntu 17.10 BIOS fiasco by releasing a buggy SPI driver .. that Ubuntu and Lenovo had to fix

c) Now this .. which OS devs (Microsoft, Apple, and Linux) are having to fix.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:26:06 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal