Author Topic: old thin client as Htpc - Which linux...  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: old thin client as Htpc - Which linux...
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »
That's what I'm saying, the RS780G is aka. HD3200 .. and ATI/AMD dropped support for that back in 2013, so any distro with xorg >= 1.13 is not going to work with FGLRX and that card.

So your options are:-

a) use Ubuntu 12.04.01 or earlier (with FGLRX) .. a royal PITA because a lot of new software won't run on it, and now that 12.04 is EOL the repos have been archived, not to mention the security risks.

b) replace the GFX card (I doubt you can on that thin client?)

c) Use 16.04 and see if we can get the HDMI audio to work with the open source radeon driver.

d) Give up on HDMI (audio).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:22:14 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 07:59:51 pm »
A sounds like a no go.
B heat and noise would be issue but i could upgrade as it has a pcie x16 (but bios can't dissable onboard so just seems silly, worth a look if can find a more modern lower heat/power option designed for htpc use).
C sounds like best plan
D well that means effectively junk the thing so would rather avoid.

So that leaves me which modern distro to choose and have a go at getting to work.  Any good reason to choose Ubuntu over Debian or vice versa and or any good reasons to choosing another distro i haven't mentioned.  May as well ask these questions now rather than later.  Surely whatever i do will be easier than when i manually installed a netbsd laptop and added x then a desktop environment on top :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 08:07:19 pm »
Personally I'd say go with Ubuntu (or a distro based on it), simply because there's more help/tutorials/etc. out there.
(not to mention the PPA system)

If i were to suggest one I'd suggest Peppermint 8, it's much lighter than the full blown Ubuntu.. but I suppose you could go for any of the lightweight Ubuntu based distros such as Lubuntu Xununtu, Linux Lite, LXLE, etc.

Why would I suggest Peppermint .. because I lead the Peppermint development team .. make of that whatever you will ;)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 08:11:48 pm »
Could chuck in an ati 550 or 460 half height card if had to as got htpc sure they'd run fine on pcie x16.. Not too power hungry or hot.. And could even handle 4k down line if needed.

Ok will go look up few more recent pro's and cons of current distros and see if can decide :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 08:22:22 pm »
Dunno why you had problems installing KODI on 16.04 .. I'm using Peppermint 8 as a KODI box right now, so it should work with 16.04

IIRC you just need to add the KODI PPA

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:29:35 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 08:28:41 pm »
The store asked if i wanted to add repository then failed to install.

Also tried it manually and it couldn't add the repository.  So not a clue. Was on a fresh install :)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 08:29:46 pm »
Instructions for installing the latest version of KODI on any Ubuntu 16.04 based distro would be, with an active internet connection open a terminal and run these commands in sequence:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get remove --purge kodi*
then
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
then
sudo apt-get upgrade
then
sudo apt-get install kodi
[EDIT]

Just tested that in Peppermint 8 64bit and it installed perfectly ... so should work in any of Ubuntu 16.04, Lubuntu 16.04, Xubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu MATE 16.04, etc.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:40:29 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 08:42:57 pm »
Exactly the ones i followed by looks of it unless the marketplace failed install did something funny with repository...

Anyway clean slate.  Will start again

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »
Yeah on a clean install you'd not need the first command .. I only included that one to first uninstall the old version from the repos IN CASE you'd already installed it ;)
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 08:52:16 pm »
No further forward...

So guess Debian = Stable but slower updates for new tech or software
.             Ubuntu = little less stable but quicker updates.
.             peppermint, lubuntu = light Ubuntu builds.

Aye that helps see woods from trees.  Not a scoob don't suppose being i also use/have an Rpi3 running raspbian would there be more in common between it and Debian so things learned or done on one system would translate more 1:1 than the ubuntu systems or is it enough different there is no advantage?.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:17 pm »
From what I've seen, distro ports for the ARM architecture are "different enough" .. though I can't say I have a ton of experience with RasPi's, the two I've had  both suffered failed USB ports before I got much experience with them.

Debian can be a pain because of their strict default "no proprietary" policies, and the Ubuntu PPA's can be a godsend (as long as you're careful with them).

Don't listen to the recent tendency for noob sheep to badmouth Ubuntu because it's become the "in thing to do" in some circles .. Ubuntu is basically Debian polished.

But the biggest reason to go Ubuntu (or something based on it) will always be that you'll find more help .. more people use it, more people have had the same problems previously, and solutions found/documented, more online tutorials, etc. basically a bigger knowledge pool, though you do sometimes have to sift the wheat from the chafe.
(for example - I couldn't help you in as fine a detail with Debian as Ubuntu because I've not used it anywhere near as much .. and you'll likely come across that a lot)

Political one-upmanship aside, personally I can see no upside to Debian over Ubuntu, but that's just me and no doubt others will strongly disagree.

At the end of the day though it's your computer so the choice can only be yours (as it should be) ;)

I mean if you already have a strong grasp of Debian, maybe that would be best choice for YOU

If you do decide you want to go Debian, I'd probably suggest MX-17 .. simply because they've done a lot of repository configuration for you.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:18:30 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 12:03:31 am »
No strong grasps any direction.  Was just thinking arguments out logically as i can.  If there was a much larger alignment of things like commands, structure etc deb/rasp then it makes sense to learn one instead of two.  If there isn't then Ubuntu or distro based on seems more logical.

Appreciate all help and info ;)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 01:23:06 am »
Command structure is pretty much the same between Debian and Ubuntu, the difference is default apps/utils, package names, file locations, and repositories .. I mean for both the install instructions for reading the info from ALSA for the sound cards would be
aplay -l
but it you had to say reinstall alsa, there's no guarantee the packages would be named the same or have dependencies with the same names .. so if following a tutorial aimed at Ubuntu it might need some adjustment if being applied to Debian.

Ubuntu uses the Debian package format (.deb) but the a LOT of the deb files are not interchangeable even where they're named the same because Debian and Ubuntu may apply different patches to the original source code. The Debian version of a package may also store some of it's contents in a different location than the Ubuntu version.

In short, most "commands" will be the same .. the differences lie in the subtle things like package names, repositories, configuration, and availability of software.

Let me give you some hypothetical (and probably incorrect) examples.

You're looking for online help with ALSA, and you find documentation that suggests you check the output from say
sudo lshw -C multimedia
well sudo and lshw may not be installed on Debian by default .. they can be, but may not be by default.

and it may say edit a particular config file .. say
sudo gedit /etc/asound.conf
that file may be somewhere else in Debian (I don't think it is, it's just an example).

I'm not sure either of those examples are correct (because I'm only 100% sure about Ubuntu), but you get the point.

You may find discrepancies such as the one (between Arch and Ubuntu) where when instructed to start the Chromium web browser from the command line, in Ubuntu you'd type
chromium-browser
but in Arch you'd just type
chromium
and when you consider there is MUCH more in the way of online tutorials/documentation/forums/personal help/etc. for Ubuntu, that may or may not work with Debian even though the command structure would be the same, it makes more sense to start with Ubuntu (or something based on it).

That said, if you're already familiar with the Debian defaults,  file locations, and repositories, and are able to adjust Ubuntu documentation accordingly (or don't need help at all), then Debian would obviously be the easiest for you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:51:20 am by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 06:33:33 am »
Cool.

In which case can't see a reason not to pick ubuntu or a derivative of.

Thanks.  I'll get re-installed and start from there with what I see :)

Offline mr-mac

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
Right 16.04 installed... Tried Radeon.audio=1 in grub but no change.  HDMI is not listed in aplay -l -L or anywhere i can see in alsamixer.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal