Author Topic: Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline DavidInNottingham

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
Hi folks!!
I found this forum while searching for information about Linux on google. I want to out together a computer and not let microsoft windows10 anywhere near it.
I can not afford apple (and don't get on with them anyway).
I am not very knowledgable on computers, and have found many "cautionary tales" from people trying this and then discovering that they have purchased parts that do not work well / at all with their chosen (or in some cases any) Linux "distro". I found a site called "pcpartpicker" but all I could find from that was whether parts were compatible with each other, there was little mention of whether they were "Linux friendly" as it were.
So I thought it would make sense to put together a list of components that I am considering purchasing and putting it here to see whether anyone has used the same and had any good (or bad) experiences that they would let me know about so that I can adjust my list accordingly. I am very open to advice, but please be gentle because I am not like the Linux / IT / expert people that you are probably used to. I am handy with a soldering iron, but the last "computer" that I had to build from scratch myself used thermionic valves (yes) and had a HT rail of 800VDC (ish)
So if anyone has any experience of the following with Linux I would welcome their advice.
Processor: Intel Core I5-7600
CPU cooler: cooler master "MasterLiquid lite 240"
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H270M-Plus Micro-ATX LGA1151
RAM: 2 sticks of Viper 4GB DDR4-3000
Main system drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Extra storage / back up drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 3TB 7200rpm
Optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT BLu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
PSU: be quiet! Power2 300W 80+Gold TFX
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless slim
Mouse: HP wireless mouse X3000 G3t
Case: I am going to modify an old Solarton CD523 oscilloscope case. Because I can.

Graphics card: not required at this time. If I decide to purchase one it will probably be an ASUS EX-GTX1050TI-O4G

So there we go.
For further information, the computer will do some word processing, may run a spreadsheet or two, sometimes youtube.... nothing complicated, particularly in the early days until I have got used to the Linux.
The "distro" that I am thinking of installing is Ubuntu.

So if anyone has any advice... I am listening!!!

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:29 pm »
Personally I can't see any problems with that lot

Processor: Intel Core I5-7600
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pstate-cpufreq-kbl&num=1
suggests the i5 7600 kaby lake works .. as I suspected it would, but thought I'd check anyway.

Motherboard: Asus PRIME H270M-Plus Micro-ATX LGA1151
https://reviewfinch.com/p/ASUS-PRIME-H270M-PLUS-CSM-LGA1151-DDR4-HDMI-DVI-VGA-M-2-H270-mATX-Motherboard-with-USB-3-1/1699/
shows someone saying Ubuntu 16.04 worked, so you can be pretty sure most distros should.

RAM: 2 sticks of Viper 4GB DDR4-3000
irrelevant

Main system drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
irrelevant, but in any case I have two of these and an 850 Pro .. the Samsung Magician software doesn't work in Linux but who cares.

Extra storage / back up drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 3TB 7200rpm
irrelevant .. an HD is an HDD

Optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT BLu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
irrelevant.

PSU: be quiet! Power2 300W 80+Gold TFX
irrelevant

Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless slim
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189238
suggests it'll work, and Solaar even letting you adjust the backlighting .. and I've had a few different Logitech wireless mice/keyboards and so far they've all worked (some special function keys may not work or need tweaking but the main keyboard functions should work.

Mouse: HP wireless mouse X3000 G3t
same as keyboard, if it's a gaming mouse with extra buttons it's doubtful the Logitech software will work in Linux .. but it should function as a "normal" mouse.

Case: I am going to modify an old Solarton CD523 oscilloscope case. Because I can.
irrelevant, but cool idea :)

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:31:45 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline DavidInNottingham

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:32:37 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging reply.
I will now set about inflicting some pain on my wallet!!

Offline davidmichaels

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:18 am »
HAHA welcome the linux club ;)

Offline Melissa

• Vintage geek
  • Been a Linux since around 2010
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 07:54:39 pm »
Hello there David- hope you get your computer all set up. You sure know more then me so you have a head start! I've been a Linux user since 2011.
My computers: Asus notebook x102B, running on Ubuntu. Asus c300 Chromebook and an old Dell inspiron mini netbook running on Mint.

In a world without fences and walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:06:17 am »
Hi David and welcome to the 'Club' - reading your post was like going back in time to when I decided to try the Linux route!

You sound like most of us 'general' users - insofar as your day-to-day computer requirements are concerned? 

FWIW, I would be inclined to stick to one of the more 'mainstream' distros, as these have a greater user base and therefore more people to call on in the event of issues.  Your hardware should run any of them without too much trouble but there are always 'lite' versions available if necessary.  The main versions will have more polish but will be 'heavier' on resources, while the 'lite' versions will have less polish but still retain the functionality necessary for most day-to-day use.  Ultimately, it's for you to decide what is best for your particular requirements.  (Incidentally, 'heavier' is a relative term - I've never found any Linux distro to be as resource-hungry as any MS product.......)  So, where to begin?

Google is your friend!!  Trawl through as many Linux websites as you can stand and have a read about other newbie's experiences.  Loads of information out there. 

Actually, to a beginner, it can be rather overwhelming but think of it like this - MS versus 'any other system' is a bit like the old days of the Soviet Bloc v the West.  If you lived in the east and wanted a car you had one choice - like it or not, you got what you were given.  In the west, you had loads of choice but you needed to shop around a bit until you found what you wanted!  MS provides a product that they feel is right for you but keep control of the product - you never actually own it, just rent it.  And when MS decides to put their hand in your pocket once more they bring out the next version and start dropping support for the last one.  Great business model, eh?  Linux says 'Hey, here you go, what do you think of this?  Cool or what?'  'Have a play, change what you want, add or delete what you want, Linux is 'yours'. 

All of the things associated with MS - security, housekeeping, de-bugging etc,etc, - do not apply in Linux.  Sure, Linux does have updates, but these are more for refinement of the distro than anything else.  Linux is way more secure from the ground up than MS, and Windows viruses do not work in Linux.  (Please don't take my word for this - look online - 'cos I didn't believe either when I first started!!).

If you need assistance, look no further than here.  Mark is too modest to say it himself but there is very rarely a problem or issue that he can't find a solution for - as I, and many others can testify!

So, in the words of the great Del Boy - the world truly is your lobster!  Good hunting!

Rich

Online Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:40:35 pm »
Thanks Rich .. personally I'd go with Peppermint, because I agree with their philosophy 100% .. but that may be cheating ;D
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Rich J

• A Linux Luvvie!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 10:07:27 am »
Thanks Rich .. personally I'd go with Peppermint, because I agree with their philosophy 100% .. but that may be cheating ;D

;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal