Author Topic: Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.  (Read 728 times)

Offline DavidInNottingham

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
« on: April 28, 2018, 05:07:03 pm »
Hi folks!!
I found this forum while searching for information about Linux on google. I want to out together a computer and not let microsoft windows10 anywhere near it.
I can not afford apple (and don't get on with them anyway).
I am not very knowledgable on computers, and have found many "cautionary tales" from people trying this and then discovering that they have purchased parts that do not work well / at all with their chosen (or in some cases any) Linux "distro". I found a site called "pcpartpicker" but all I could find from that was whether parts were compatible with each other, there was little mention of whether they were "Linux friendly" as it were.
So I thought it would make sense to put together a list of components that I am considering purchasing and putting it here to see whether anyone has used the same and had any good (or bad) experiences that they would let me know about so that I can adjust my list accordingly. I am very open to advice, but please be gentle because I am not like the Linux / IT / expert people that you are probably used to. I am handy with a soldering iron, but the last "computer" that I had to build from scratch myself used thermionic valves (yes) and had a HT rail of 800VDC (ish)
So if anyone has any experience of the following with Linux I would welcome their advice.
Processor: Intel Core I5-7600
CPU cooler: cooler master "MasterLiquid lite 240"
Motherboard: Asus PRIME H270M-Plus Micro-ATX LGA1151
RAM: 2 sticks of Viper 4GB DDR4-3000
Main system drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Extra storage / back up drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 3TB 7200rpm
Optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT BLu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
PSU: be quiet! Power2 300W 80+Gold TFX
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless slim
Mouse: HP wireless mouse X3000 G3t
Case: I am going to modify an old Solarton CD523 oscilloscope case. Because I can.

Graphics card: not required at this time. If I decide to purchase one it will probably be an ASUS EX-GTX1050TI-O4G

So there we go.
For further information, the computer will do some word processing, may run a spreadsheet or two, sometimes youtube.... nothing complicated, particularly in the early days until I have got used to the Linux.
The "distro" that I am thinking of installing is Ubuntu.

So if anyone has any advice... I am listening!!!

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:29 pm »
Personally I can't see any problems with that lot

Processor: Intel Core I5-7600
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pstate-cpufreq-kbl&num=1
suggests the i5 7600 kaby lake works .. as I suspected it would, but thought I'd check anyway.

Motherboard: Asus PRIME H270M-Plus Micro-ATX LGA1151
https://reviewfinch.com/p/ASUS-PRIME-H270M-PLUS-CSM-LGA1151-DDR4-HDMI-DVI-VGA-M-2-H270-mATX-Motherboard-with-USB-3-1/1699/
shows someone saying Ubuntu 16.04 worked, so you can be pretty sure most distros should.

RAM: 2 sticks of Viper 4GB DDR4-3000
irrelevant

Main system drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
irrelevant, but in any case I have two of these and an 850 Pro .. the Samsung Magician software doesn't work in Linux but who cares.

Extra storage / back up drive: Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 3TB 7200rpm
irrelevant .. an HD is an HDD

Optical drive: ASUS BW-16D1HT BLu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
irrelevant.

PSU: be quiet! Power2 300W 80+Gold TFX
irrelevant

Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless slim
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189238
suggests it'll work, and Solaar even letting you adjust the backlighting .. and I've had a few different Logitech wireless mice/keyboards and so far they've all worked (some special function keys may not work or need tweaking but the main keyboard functions should work.

Mouse: HP wireless mouse X3000 G3t
same as keyboard, if it's a gaming mouse with extra buttons it's doubtful the Logitech software will work in Linux .. but it should function as a "normal" mouse.

Case: I am going to modify an old Solarton CD523 oscilloscope case. Because I can.
irrelevant, but cool idea :)

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:31:45 pm by Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec) »
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline DavidInNottingham

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Linux newbie, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:32:37 pm »
Thank you for the encouraging reply.
I will now set about inflicting some pain on my wallet!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal