Author Topic: Start up issue  (Read 1983 times)

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Start up issue
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »
Hi

I've recently been having some issues with my laptop on start up. Sometimes I get a dialogue box saying something like 'ubuntu detected an error' and 'do I want to report the error'. I generally just close the dialogue box and everything is fine and works as normal.

Sometimes, before the login screen, I get as message saying something like 'running in low graphics mode'. It gives me options, none of which I understand, so I have been selecting the option that takes me to the login screen, but this often doesn't connect to my WiFi. If I reboot, sometimes a couple of times, eventually it all works fine.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Any help would be appreciated.  :-[

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Start up issue
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:26:07 pm »
No one..?  :'(

The 'Ubuntu detected an error' issue seems to have stopped, but I get the 'running in low graphics mode' message every time I boot now. I can log on via the 'option' to use default settings, but WiFi dosen't connect. I'm having to reboot three or four times before, for no apparent reason, the WiFi connects as normal.

I've done about everything I can think of -- update, auto-clean, crying, prayer -- but no luck. I've googled the issue, all results were several years old, and gone through most of the suggestions... nothing.

Anybody got any ideas?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:27:59 pm by willie »

Offline pooky2483

• Slowly getting the hang of it.
    • View Profile
    • Get your FREE Ubuntu stickers here. I'm the UK address
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »
Don't despair, There are a few great people on here who can help, such as SeZo,BkS, Chemicalfan, Tramlink, Keith, Mad Penguin and of course Mark Greaves, they may be at work and unable to see this post until they get home. (sorry if I've left out anyone).

You could try Boot Repair Disk from sourceforge.

You can install it on a CD/DVD or a USB stick and boot from that and repair your boot up procedure to see if that fixes anything.
If you have a dual boot, then that complicates things as the Boot Repair Disk requires something extra to be done.

Hope that helps...

Kubuntu 16.04LTS 64bit|KDE 4.14.13|QT 4.8.6|Linux 4.15.0-32-generic|M5A78L-M USB3|BIOS 2101|AMD PhenomII X4 965 3400+|P8H77-I Motherboard NIC|32.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 ( 9-9-9-24 ) DDR3

Offline SeZo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:20:47 pm »
To stop the 'Ubuntu detected an error' issue you could reset apport by removing the crash reports:
Code: [Select]
sudo rm /var/crash/*
If there is a real problem the crash report will regenerate and then you can go from there.

Regarding the  'running in low graphics mode' message, have you tried to reset lightdm? See here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47686985/ubuntu-16-04-lts-running-low-graphics-mode

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:29:25 pm »
Regarding the  'running in low graphics mode' message, have you tried to reset lightdm? See here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47686985/ubuntu-16-04-lts-running-low-graphics-mode

Okay, so I tried this and now I'm stuck in a login loop. I enter my password and it just resets. I've looked up solutions to this issue online, but they all proceed from opening a terminal from the login screen -- Ctrl + Alt + F1 (2,3 or 4 etc), I don't know if it's my ignorance but I can't get a command line from any of those.

Can someone please walk me through what I need to do?

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:57:31 pm »
So Ctrl+Alt+F3 opened a terminal last time I tried it, which it didn't before, but at least I'm in and know what I should see...

Just don't know what to do now.

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »
Back to the issue of not being able to open a terminal...  :-\

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 05:17:45 pm »
Quick update, in case anyone comes back to this...

I have worked out a couple of way to get a terminal open. I discovered I can actually log on in different desktops, it's just the default Ubuntu that creates the loop.

I've tried various things, with no luck. It looks like an issue with Nvidia.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »
Where are you on this willie ?

can you now log in ?

Is this now just an issue of not being able to open a terminal ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline willie

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 11:34:08 pm »
Hi, Mark.

Thanks for getting back to me, I guessed you were busy and wouldn't leave me hanging.

Everything I tried seemed to make things a little bit worse. In the end I decided my best bet was to back everything up and install 18.04. I'm still working through a few little issues, but my back-up went well and I appear not to have lost anything important.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal