Author Topic: HP Envy 7640 detected but won't print  (Read 603 times)

Offline Quaestor

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
HP Envy 7640 detected but won't print
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:15:17 am »
Using ElementaryOS Loki

I used the default printer manager to add a printer. My HP Envy was detected correctly by name as a local USB-connected printer. However when I send it a print job the HP doesn't print. The LED display on the printer's control panel says "PRINTING" and a progress pinwheel spins, but no printed output is forthcoming. The printer works perfectly under Windows, however.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:46:26 am by Quaestor »

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
Re: HP Envy 7640 detected but won't print
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 01:59:32 pm »
Well it should work in Loki as that printer was supported since hplip version 3.14 and Loki should have 3.16.

Anyway, I don't know much about Elementary, but what GUI application are you using to connect the printer ?

Have you tried installing hplip-gui
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
then using the menu item called HPLIP Toolbox to set up the printer ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

Offline Quaestor

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: HP Envy 7640 detected but won't print
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:35:19 am »
Elementary has a default printer manager. Clicking on +Add Printer caused Elementary to immediately see the printer and properly ID it. The manager gave me several choices of drivers, and I chose HPLIP since it the printer is a genuine HP. The printer receives some part of the job, but it never prints. I'm wondering if it's a firmware issue with the printer rather than a driver issue in the OS. Elementary is persnickety about third-party apps. In fact, the repository command is disabled. If it's not available with apt-get only then it's not likely to work. Generally, they want you to confine your installs to stuff available through their fork of the Ubuntu app store. I'll check there for an HPLIP gui.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal