Author Topic: Computers Specifically for Linux  (Read 1097 times)

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Computers Specifically for Linux
« on: July 05, 2018, 07:12:47 am »
Hi.

One of the points that is made quite frequently when there is advice given with regards to installing Linux is to avoid installing it on a system previously created for the Windows environment.  Does anyone know of suppliers of systems - specifically laptops - that I can contact with regards to Linux compatibility?  I help users with basic problems with their computers, and most of them have a problem due to the complexity of Windows and problems with updates.  I would like to 'convert' them to a system that is better suited to them, and that generally seems to be a Linus distro.  As long as the desk/laptop is cheap enough, I am happy to do all the work for them and then give it to them.  So far, I have been unable to find a source of systems that is not dedicated to either Windows or iOS.  FYI, I'm in the Essex, UK area, if that helps.

Matt

Offline arochester

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Computers Specifically for Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:38:59 pm »

Offline MattC

• I've just joined!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:58:57 am »
Thanks arochester.  However, most of them are way above the price range that I was hoping for.  What I would be happy with is second hand, slightly old, in-installed laptops (/desktops) that I could install myself for my friends.

Offline Mark Greaves (PCNetSpec)

• Administrator
  • "-rw-rw-rw-" .. The Number Of The Beast
    • View Profile
    • PCNetSpec
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 03:36:21 pm »
So what's your price range ?

I'm pretty sure people could advise you on systems within that range that are known to work well with Linux .. even though they may come with Windows pre-installed.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'
logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
pcnetspec.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal